Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2021 11:29:24 AM EDT
I’m flying into Milwaukee today for a few days for work. I’ll have a rental car and 3 nights to myself. What are some must try spots?  Takeout or dine in, any style and any cuisine. I’m not picky and look for something out of the ordinary or the just the best of whatever.

Coming from GA where nobody really cares about the China flu and all businesses are open. Don’t see many masks anymore either. What am I in for in WI?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the West Allis Cheese and Sausage Shop for breakfast.

Good place to grab some souvenir snacks as well.

https://www.westallischeese.com/
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I like golden gyro for carry out gyro’s

https://goldengyro.com/
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Solly’s Grille for hamburgers!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Blue's Eggs for breakfast not far is Milwaukee Steakhouse and State Street has plenty of good bars. Milwaukee firearm training center if you want to go shooting. Midwest Industries is about 40 minutes away from Milwaukee. I have not been around downtown area in several years so I have no idea what's going on.  This area is good to go for food and drinks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Lots of great food and small breweries in the area.  What are you looking for?  You'll either need a mask or most places will give you one or politely ask you to leave.  F'n Milwaukee CO is stupid like that.

If you don't mind a 30 min drive I can recommend a bunch of places that won't require a mask.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Is your hotel downtown?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Lala's place on E Layton Ave has always been good if you like Mexican food. The owner used to work at Conejito's then opened her own place. She treats everyone like family there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Leff's Luckytown on State Street in Wauwatosa has good daily meal options and a huge urinal. Plus they have outdoor dining so you can have some reprieve from the local mask requirements. If you want the best corned beef hash go to McBob's on 51st and North. The service has always been terrible (EDITED MY MIS-TYPE) and the neighborhood isn't great, but the food makes it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Do not go to 51st & North.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m a fan of Sobelmans burgers and their Bloody Mary’s are out of control. They’re alright taste-wise, but the novelty of having an entire fried chicken in a giant Mason jar Bloody is something you should experience.

I also really like Lakefront Brewery. Their beers are pretty good and their tour is fun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lala's place on E Layton Ave has always been good if you like Mexican food. The owner used to work at Conejito's then opened her own place. She treats everyone like family there.
View Quote

Man... I loved Conejitos. When the enchiladas come out on a paper plate you either know they are going to be great or you’re going to be shitting your brains out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do not go to 51st & North.
View Quote

Whoa, yeah, you're right - I edited my posted. The neighborhood is okay during daylight hours only.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Some places are going to want you to wear a mask.

Try finding a Culvers and have a Butter Burger and Cheese Curds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Real Chili.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't @WICOUNSEL do a huge thread on this once? I recall Tochi Ramen in West Bend being noted as not in Milwaukee, but worth the drive.

Asian Fusion Bistro out in Pewaukee, and Mad Rooster Cafe are my recommendations. Maybe Fuel Cafe, Valentine Coffee Co. or Colectivo Coffee if you're into that kind of thing?

I'm surprised no one has recommended any German restaurants. I know some people who rave about the Volcano Chicken from The King and I Thai Restaurant.

Being Wisconsin, allow me to recommend Kwik Trip.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Mamma Mias, +1 on the Mad rooster listed above. Teds ice cream shop (small oldies style diner) (best ffl) !!!Nothing else is popping out to me beside we got mcdonalds....
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I did an extensive list with web links and everything. Looks like we no longer have archives on Arf? I still have the link but it goes nowhere.

Few good ones named here already.

Culver's is one of those Wisconsin things you should try if you like burgers.

Kopp's was named best burger in Wisconsin in the last couple years. Solly's is good too.

Mader's downtown is a traditional German place.

I had a bad customer service experience at Tochi and shortly after that Artisan Ramen opened up in downtown MKE, so I stopped going to Tochi. Artisan Ramen is really good, or was, been a while since I was there too. I'd say at least as good and probably better than Tochi (which was also top notch).

Since you have a car, the Mexican food trucks on National Ave East of Layton/27th are pretty tasty.

Cafe Corazon

I like Pizza Man for Roman style pizza. Ian's for variety. San Giorgio for Neapolitan style pizza. Zaffiro's is good stuff.

Carnevor, Rare and Mason Street are good for steaks.

Iron Grate BBQ

Double B's BBQ

Maxie's

Storyhill BKC

La Merenda

Engine Company No. 3

Crafty Cow

Le Reve

Ono Kine Grindz

Thai A Kitchen

Thai, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, French, tapas, breakfast specific. I could go on and on. There are some good options.

I'm heavily biased towards Valentine coffee, but Colectivo is a big name here too.

Wisconsin is/was known for supper clubs. More out in the country. Downtown there is one called Five O'Clock Steakhouse. I actually have not been there so I can't speak to how true to form it is, but I have heard it is quite good.

If you go there, order a brandy old fashioned sour (well, from any quality place you go you should order a few).

Enjoy your time here!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Leff's Luckytown on State Street in Wauwatosa has good daily meal options and a huge urinal. Plus they have outdoor dining so you can have some reprieve from the local mask requirements. If you want the best corned beef hash go to McBob's on 51st and North. The service has always been terrible (EDITED MY MIS-TYPE) and the neighborhood isn't great, but the food makes it worthwhile.
View Quote

Oh, I missed this. +1 for McBob's corned beef and a cold Guinness.

I never had an issue with service, but I am usually there for breakfast/brunch (the McBenedict is awesome).
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Wauwatosa has some nice restaurants. Bartolotta (fine Italian), Cafe Hollander (american / euro), La Reve (french), Eddie Martinis (fancy steak). Milwaukee has good places too, but it's been a while since I've been down there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Culver's is a fast food joint.  Is got a similar cult status to In N Out over in California. But it's just fast food.

Like James Bond movies? Try the Safe House. Food is decent, but you're really there for the experience.  If they're open by then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

My hotel is in Brookfield.

First night in me and a few other guys went bar hoping in downtown, ended up eating at AJ Bombers.
Last night, went to Madders. Great food.
Plan so far tonight is to try Crawdaddy’s unless something better comes up.
I fly out tomorrow and am trying to squeeze a run to Midwest in before I have to head out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Went to Kopps yesterday.
They were a treat since I moved away from the Milwaukee area decades ago.
We found ourselves walking into the kopps in Brookfield on blue mound rd.
Followed by walking out to eat elsewhere after reading menu on wall.
They are now charging a la carte.
One of the charges was 60cents for Catchup.

Nothing says: take it in the Ass, like an extra $1,27
Because you ordered a burger and some fries
And enjoy them with Catchup .

Its unamerican.  Fuck kopps.
More like..Kopps & Robbers
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

First night in me and a few other guys went bar hoping in downtown, ended up eating at AJ Bombers.
Plan so far tonight is to try Crawdaddy’s unless something better comes up.
I fly out tomorrow and am trying to squeeze a run to Midwest in before I have to head out.
View Quote

I know exactly where your hotel is.  Fun fact, this golf course is very close to you, about 1/8 mile.  You've likely seen it on your way to I94.  

https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Wis-Rapids-man-played-golf-with-Pres-George-HW-Bush-on-911-502035511.html

Cool piece of local history.  I live 10 minutes from there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Went to Kopps yesterday.

View Quote

That sucks.  I haven't been there in 4 years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Went to Kopps yesterday.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Crawdaddy's has excellent food - at least for a midwestern cajun place. I don't know if your trip to MI will be worth it. I was there a couple of months ago and they were cleaned out just like everyone else. The MI guys are decent people, so at least you'll have civilized conversation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Plan so far tonight is to try Crawdaddy's unless something better comes up.
View Quote
Check out the places in downtown Wauwatosa I recommended. It's not far from where you are at, maybe just down the road.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Man... I loved Conejitos. When the enchiladas come out on a paper plate you either know they are going to be great or you’re going to be shitting your brains out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also had the tostadas with the crumbly Mexican cheese on top. There was also a place around 18th and Scott that had tacos de lengua, can't remember the name though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They also had the tostadas with the crumbly Mexican cheese on top. There was also a place around 18th and Scott that had tacos de lengua, can't remember the name though.
View Quote

I forgot about the their tostadas, those things are great.

Think I’ll have to make a point to stop in there the next time I’m home on leave. I did just pull it up on Yelp and the reviews are...mixed . I can’t say I have ever gone there 100% sober so that could be aiding in my fond memories of the place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#32]
The bars and restaurants are what made Milwaukee tolerable. They shot themselves in the foot. No real reason to come here anymore. (The muzzles are never going away. My local Kwik Trip took down their mask signs and 99% of the customers are still wearing them.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

While i love their burgers, the Chicken Caliente is their best kept secret, IMO. Fucking delicious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top