Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 1:55:22 PM EDT
The wife and I are going to vacation down there this August and I'm looking at stuff to do and wanted to get people's input about stuff that would be considered a "must see" in the area.

I'm already looking at Old Man's Cave, Ask Cave, Cedar Falls, Rock House, Cantwell Cliffs, Moonville Tunnel, and at some canoeing and other stuff like that. Don't really want to do zip lines or repelling, although I see you can do this if you want to. The Wife probably won't be wanting to do a lot of long hikes.

What else would y'all recommend?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
At Old Man's Cave, make sure you continue all the way back in the woods and climb the fire tower. Awesome view.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a cool Caboose air b and b near ash cave if you're into that sort of stuff
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
In October 2022, the new State Park Lodge opens,

State Park Lodge
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything you can.  There's a lot, and some of it is a bit of a drive and a lit of a hike so it gets time consuming.  But it's all worth it.  If you spend as much time as you have available you'll be happy you did.  

Ash cave
Old Mans Cave
The fire tower.

Any of the cliffs or waterfalls.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a cool Caboose air b and b near ash cave if you're into that sort of stuff
View Quote

I looked at that place! Cool as hell! Can't remember why I decided against it, though.

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everything you can.  There's a lot, and some of it is a bit of a drive and a lit of a hike so it gets time consuming.  But it's all worth it.  If you spend as much time as you have available you'll be happy you did.  

Ash cave
Old Mans Cave
The fire tower.

Any of the cliffs or waterfalls.
View Quote

Yep, we're going to pack as much into this as we can. Plan is to come into town on Sunday and stay until Thursday. Then we'll run up to Millersburg to get some Amish country in for a few days. Probably could have spent the whole vacation in HH, though, with all the stuff we're finding.

The tentative list looks something like this:

On Sunday, we can't check in until 3-ish, so we're going to take our time coming down and stop in Nelsonville to take a ride on the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway. Afterwards, we should get to the office of our cabin about 4-ish.

We're going to canoe the Hocking River one day and check out Old Man's cave. Rock House, Ash Cave, and Cedar Falls. (Might have to compromise on some of these, depending on timing)

Considering Cantwell Cliffs, but it's known to be rugged. Dunno if the wife will want to do that or not. She's not a big hiker. Same with the Fire Tower. Hell, I don't know if I want to climb that thing, but is DOES look cool!

We're going to head down and check out the Moonville Tunnel, King's Hollow Tunnel, and Hope Iron Furnace. That shouldn't take too long and we can do it on a day we're doing other stuff, as well.

We're looking to take one night to head over and see Tecumseh! in Chillicothe. Sounds like one hell of a show.

There's also some other small attractions and museums the wife wants to check out. Stuff around Logan.

On our way to Millersburg, I'm planning on detouring slightly to see Big Muskie and maybe the McConnelsville Lock. Afterward, we're going to swing up through Coshocton to ride the Monticello III canal boat and check out the Helmick covered bridge. I figure that'll put us in Millersburg about time to check into our lodging there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not necessarily "must see" but if you're out and about checking out places and have some time stop into the Rocky boot store, many times you can score a nice pair of boots at very good prices
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not necessarily "must see" but if you're out and about checking out places and have some time stop into the Rocky boot store, many times you can score a nice pair of boots at very good prices
View Quote

Yeah, figured we might stop in at  some point.

Known about that place for years, but have never been in the area with time to stop in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
There is The Columbus Washboard Co. in Logan , if your wife is in to that sort of stuff.
Zaleski and Wayne national parks. On Sunday the flea market should be open in Rockbridge off S.R.33.
Tecumseh is worth the drive.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Millstone BBQ has pretty decent food.

Jack’s Steakhouse, not so much.

If you’re taking SR78 over to see the Big Muskie bucket watch out for motorcycles & the small town cops.

In Millersburg check out the Millersburg Brewing Company.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Millstone BBQ has pretty decent food.

Jack’s Steakhouse, not so much.

If you’re taking SR78 over to see the Big Muskie bucket watch out for motorcycles & the small town cops.

In Millersburg check out the Millersburg Brewing Company.  
View Quote

Been to Millstone once. I liked it OK. The Mexican place just up the street is fantastic. Been there several times.

Planning on going to the Millersburg Brewing Company. I hear good things and I know some people who have been there and highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
There's also Chapel Cave (21 Horse Cave), Whites Cave (Sand Cave), Red Rock and Red Rock Cave, Badgers Cave, Devils Cave, Fatman's Squeeze, Box Canyon, Twin Falls, Indian Head Rock, Table Rock, Airplane Rock and Conkles Hollow (probably some others I've missed) In the park.

Rebecca at Blue Moon Acres for Horse back riding through the park (740) 380-6230

The Olde Dutch is one of my favorite grub spots, plus there's a little petting zoo, put put, ice cream stand, Antique mall and canoeing all in the same parking lot.

There's a Rockbridge mall/flea market to check out on the weekend, usually a few tables with guns but bring a lot of Vaseline.

Super secret equestrian map with some of the formations I mentioned above:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Old man's Cave, no?

Been there a few times, most recently a few years back when I was in the area on business.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top