Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2020 9:59:35 AM EDT
What's up TN HTF?  

My wife and I are looking at some properties in the topic area, 100 acres+.  We shoot USPSA a couple times a month here in AZ.  We run a match at one of the local clubs here.  I checked out the clubs within 60 miles or so of Murfreesboro and have seen that have been holding matches, so that's good.  I researched TN carry permits and those rules.

I was hoping you could point me to the laws regarding shooting on private property.  I know hunting isn't an issue.  All of the places we've looked at have trail cam pics of deer and turkey and all talk about ponds and food plots and feeders.  What is the local attitude, residents and LE about shooting on your land.

We have 20 acres here in AZ outside of city limits and surrounded by Natl Forest on 3 sides.  We shoot all we want.  Also, how is the hunting in the area?  The listings of course all say covered in deer and turkey but how is it really?

Appreciate all input.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
With regards to shooting on ones property, just make sure you are not within any city limits for the main thing.

You cannot shoot within 100 yards of a dwelling. But the real thing to make sure is not letting your impacts get off your property, pretty much common sense, legal etc. on that one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are willing to pay $50,000.00 an acre, you better look outside Rutherford County anymore.  ANY land is being bought up by developers and stacked on.

30 years ago this was a great county to live, shoot and hunt in.  Unfortunately the developers were given complete control and we are being over run with PEOPLE!

Wilson still has some undeveloped land, but that is because it is mostly solid ROCK and does not perk.

I really do wish I could give you some good news, but unlike Politicians and developers I will not lie to you.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With regards to shooting on ones property, just make sure you are not within any city limits for the main thing.

You cannot shoot within 100 yards of a dwelling. But the real thing to make sure is not letting your impacts get off your property, pretty much common sense, legal etc. on that one.
View Quote

Rutherford county tends to be flat, so probably higher than average odds of needing to build a berm.

Outside city limits, things do tend to be pretty laid back about shooting (as long as it's done safely), but the expanding subdivisions and people moving in from various areas, can cause some ruffled feathers.  

Some years back, a neighbor called the cops on another neighbor, because the noise from his shooting was upsetting her little dog.  Cop came out, talked to her, then went over and talked to the people that were shooting, looked at what they were doing, then went back to the complaining neighbor and told her that they weren't doing anything unsafe (which I consider to be a matter of opinion, since their backstop wasn't on their parcel), and she could make a noise complaint if they were still shooting at 11pm.  That started a minor feud, with the guy that had been shooting, occasionally walking out on his porch and tossing a dozen bottle rockets (10 to 15 second delay between each one), just to hear her screaming from her porch.  She eventually moved to an apartment in the suburbs, and sold me her place very cheap (she had let it get run down by not doing any maintenance, then let the yard get overgrown with brush after she moved, and got behind on the property taxes).
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clarifying: You can not hunt from public lands within 100 yards of a dwelling without the owners permission.   You can "shoot within 100 yards of a dwelling".   (some municipalities may have additional restrictions.)
TCA 70-4-108

I shoot from my back porch in Maury County regularly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Marshall or Maury county would be my pick. We live in Maury on 50 acres. We are considering buying a larger place in Marshall or Lincoln or Giles.

Most counties have no noise laws so you can do what you want. We have a 500-yard range at our place.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

OOPS!!!

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOPS!!!

https://i.imgur.com/lD42k13.jpg

My daughter complains when I open a window and shoot from inside.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife's Uncle has it so he can shoot deer on three sides of the house without leaving the kitchen.  So far he has gotten deer and a couple of turkeys on all three sides and is still able to remain drinking his morning coffee!!!!!!   LOL

Got to love Decatur County.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My wife's Uncle has it so he can shoot deer on three sides of the house without leaving the kitchen.  So far he has gotten deer and a couple of turkeys on all three sides and is still able to remain drinking his morning coffee!!!!!!   LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That reminds me that I need to check the new trail cam that I put on the porch, last week.

ETA: Lots of squirrel pictures.  

I didn't realize I had that many raccoons.

A few rabbits.

Caught some vague images of something that I thought might have been a possum, but finally found one clear enough to tell that it was an armored possum.

Something feline, either a l-a-r-g-e feral, or there was a reason I couldn't see a tail.

Back half of what was probably a coyote.

And...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've been thinking about cutting down that tree in the foreground, since it's a little too close to the house and leaning toward it, but now I have another reason, since some of the night photos are getting some glare reflecting from it.

And yes, the burn barrel has some 9mm and .45 holes in it.  I hadn't yet gotten around to moving the target stand (now sitting just to the right of the burn barrel) from it's old location, I was working out the bugs on a few Polymer80 projects, and the burn barrel was the most obvious 'target' from the window behind me.

ETA2: Armored possum
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: Also, how is the hunting in the area?  The listings of course all say covered in deer and turkey but how is it really?
View Quote

I get a chuckle out of listings that say a five-acre property is a 'hunter's paradise'.

But seriously, the great part of TN is that we have deer literally anywhere that their habitat requirements are met, and that means 99% of the state has deer. Pretty much any property where most of the adjoining properties have deer cover, will have some deer presence. Just know that everyone hunts here and if you buy 5 acres surrounded by other guys with 5 acres, you probably all have the same thing in mind, and not many bucks make it to maturity.

We live on 50 acres. I killed 2 bucks this year - the first two bucks I've killed in eight years of owning this place. Because all my neighbors hunt too.

I can pretty reliably kill a doe for meat anytime I want, of course. And there's a decent amount of public land in the middle part of the state. There's a ton in east TN but it's usually tough terrain and fewer animals, though some people do kill big bucks on the east TN mountains.

If you buy 100+ acres and have decent neighbors and you manage your property as deer habitat, yes, you can have satisfying hunting right in your yard.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I get a chuckle out of listings that say a five-acre property is a 'hunter's paradise'.

But seriously, the great part of TN is that we have deer literally anywhere that their habitat requirements are met, and that means 99% of the state has deer. Pretty much any property where most of the adjoining properties have deer cover, will have some deer presence. Just know that everyone hunts here and if you buy 5 acres surrounded by other guys with 5 acres, you probably all have the same thing in mind, and not many bucks make it to maturity.

We live on 50 acres. I killed 2 bucks this year - the first two bucks I've killed in eight years of owning this place. Because all my neighbors hunt too.

I can pretty reliably kill a doe for meat anytime I want, of course. And there's a decent amount of public land in the middle part of the state. There's a ton in east TN but it's usually tough terrain and fewer animals, though some people do kill big bucks on the east TN mountains.

If you buy 100+ acres and have decent neighbors and you manage your property as deer habitat, yes, you can have satisfying hunting right in your yard.
View Quote

Understood.  We are looking at several properties. None smaller than 140.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Not much to add to the real estate topic, but I lived in Phoenix my whole life and moved to Nashville in 2018 and Murfreesboro/Blackman in 2020.  

The match/range scene in AZ is amazing.  I frequently skipped matches that I wasn’t in love with due to stage design.  I’d love to have those matches like that here in TN.  They just don’t exist.  Yeah, there are a handful, but it’s not like Tuesday night steel at Rio, Thurs night steel at PRGC, then the steel match at Ben Avery, various 2 gun matches at Pima Pistol, PRGC, Cowtown.  You could legitimately shoot 4-5 matches per week.  No dice here.  

I’m a member at Strategic Edge.  Great range.

So far, we love Murfreesboro.  Not as many restaurants as Nashville and mostly chains.  Aside from that, it’s quiet, safe, and gorgeous.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#13]
We also have a lot of turkey.

Good restaurants non-national chain restaurants in Murfreesboro:

Slick Pig - BBQ, awesome smoked chicken and smoked wings
Marinas - Italian, good for date nights
Kleer Vu - soul food meat and 3
Jeffs - another soul food meat and 3
Busters - Gets voted best burger in the area every year. I'd say the burgers are a 7/10 but the price is good, atmosphere is cool, and they have great wings and cold beer
Metro - small chain out of FL but worth mentioning because they open pretty early with a breakfast menu and their chicken & waffles are pretty amazing.

We have a few gun stores, On Target is currently the largest and has indoor ranges. Barrett Firearms is on the outskirts of the county but they are building a new location for their retail store in Murfreesboro. That's getting close to completion and will have an indoor range as well. Two good outdoor ranges about 30 min away, one in Manchester, one in Woodbury.

My dad is an experienced realtor in the area if anyone needs one. We just ask you do your part to keep the area conservative.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I checked my camera, today, and there's more raccoon pictures than anything else.  Armored possum came by once.  No deer.  

Attachment Attached File

I took care of that annoying tree, this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I checked my camera, today, and there's more raccoon pictures than anything else.  Armored possum came by once.  No deer.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64025/WLD_0073_JPG-1739077.JPG

View Quote

Go west 1.5 hours and there are more damn deer than you can shake a stick at, usually right on the shoulder of I-40 or in the median. They are so calm around cars that you could probably get out and kill them with a hammer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Go west 1.5 hours and there are more damn deer than you can shake a stick at, usually right on the shoulder of I-40 or in the median. They are so calm around cars that you could probably get out and kill them with a hammer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64025/WLD_0073_JPG-1739077.JPG

There's a fair amount of deer around here, but they are skittish.  The camera is set up to watch a trail that passes within a few feet of the corner of the house, and I have seen tracks by the house, but didn't have a clue how often they got that close, when I put the camera up.  I've ordered another camera, and I'm going to put it on another trail, 150 to 200 yards from the house, and see what walks by.

A while back, we went to Tim's Ford State Park, and the deer were everywhere.  You had to stop the car and wait for them to get out of the road when a bunch of them would decide they wanted to graze on the other side.  I told my daughter that since TN has a road kill law, all we had to do was run over one of them, then toss it in the back, and we'd be on our way with a deer.  She didn't like that idea.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Deer have become a nuisance in Lincoln co. and surrounding.  I saw 4 roadkill on a 40 mile trek into Bedford Co. last weekend.  I leave before dawn most mornings and it's pretty rare to not see a few on the sides of the road.

Be advised,  Davidson, Shelby, and Rutherford to some extent are pretty much a county wide city at this point.  Also pretty blue IMO.

As to shooting on your own property in rural areas, it seems like its expected.  At least four houses (not counting me) do a lot of shooting within easy hearing range.  But it's a mixed bag,  a group of 20-30 year olds routinely shoot from their back porch after dark.  My neighbor went and ask them to be sure of their backstop since our houses  are close to the line of fire.

Having said that I know of zero instances of the authorities being involved.  Hell there's a helium powered research gas gun within a mile of me that has muzzle velocities of 6000 fps.  I swear the backstop on my pistol range is more substantial.

As someone else said, exercise common sense.  Never shoot without being aware of whats behind the target,  never point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy, and there's no such thing as an unloaded gun (check *every* time).

No offense intended, I realize I'm preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]
First doe on my camera:
Attachment Attached File

Then a few minutes later:
Attachment Attached File

Only one squirrel, no armored possum, but plenty of:
Attachment Attached File

May go hang the second camera on a tree, this afternoon.  I was clearing some brush the other day, near where I am thinking about putting the second camera, and saw recent deer tracks.  Kinda interested in whether or not the raccoons spend any time up there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Second camera was in place at the other trail, all week.

No raccoons.
No squirrels.
No armored possums.
No oversized cats.
No coyotes.

Just deer.
Attachment Attached File

I wonder if I have the camera mounted too high for the other animals to trigger it...
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Still no small critters on the second camera, so I repositioned it to a lower spot on the tree.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]
It seems like Maury County is a bit more conservative and open to shooting sports than Wilson/Rutherford but you should be fine with any of those.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We also have a lot of turkey.

Good restaurants non-national chain restaurants in Murfreesboro:

Slick Pig - BBQ, awesome smoked chicken and smoked wings
Marinas - Italian, good for date nights
Kleer Vu - soul food meat and 3
Jeffs - another soul food meat and 3
Busters - Gets voted best burger in the area every year. I'd say the burgers are a 7/10 but the price is good, atmosphere is cool, and they have great wings and cold beer
Metro - small chain out of FL but worth mentioning because they open pretty early with a breakfast menu and their chicken & waffles are pretty amazing.

We have a few gun stores, On Target is currently the largest and has indoor ranges. Barrett Firearms is on the outskirts of the county but they are building a new location for their retail store in Murfreesboro. That's getting close to completion and will have an indoor range as well. Two good outdoor ranges about 30 min away, one in Manchester, one in Woodbury.

My dad is an experienced realtor in the area if anyone needs one. We just ask you do your part to keep the area conservative.  
View Quote

If you are talking restaurants in Murfreesboro, ya gotta include Toots.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spooky's Pizza.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Deer have become a nuisance in Lincoln co. and surrounding.  I saw 4 roadkill on a 40 mile trek into Bedford Co. last weekend.  I leave before dawn most mornings and it's pretty rare to not see a few on the sides of the road.

Be advised,  Davidson, Shelby, and Rutherford to some extent are pretty much a county wide city at this point.  Also pretty blue IMO.

As to shooting on your own property in rural areas, it seems like its expected.  At least four houses (not counting me) do a lot of shooting within easy hearing range.  But it's a mixed bag,  a group of 20-30 year olds routinely shoot from their back porch after dark.  My neighbor went and ask them to be sure of their backstop since our houses  are close to the line of fire.

Having said that I know of zero instances of the authorities being involved.  Hell there's a helium powered research gas gun within a mile of me that has muzzle velocities of 6000 fps.  I swear the backstop on my pistol range is more substantial.

As someone else said, exercise common sense.  Never shoot without being aware of whats behind the target,  never point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy, and there's no such thing as an unloaded gun (check *every* time).

No offense intended, I realize I'm preaching to the choir.
View Quote
This one?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Bob came by again, and didn't even say 'hi'.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:35:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1. I loved Toot's in college.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It seems like Maury County is a bit more conservative and open to shooting sports than Wilson/Rutherford but you should be fine with any of those.
View Quote

@Undergrad clean out your IMs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@Undergrad clean out your IMs.
View Quote

Crap, I guess I need to quit being a cheapskate and buy and account so I can have more than 10.

ETA:
Done
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What's up TN HTF?  

My wife and I are looking at some properties in the topic area, 100 acres+.  We shoot USPSA a couple times a month here in AZ.  We run a match at one of the local clubs here.  I checked out the clubs within 60 miles or so of Murfreesboro and have seen that have been holding matches, so that's good.  I researched TN carry permits and those rules.

I was hoping you could point me to the laws regarding shooting on private property. I know hunting isn't an issue.  All of the places we've looked at have trail cam pics of deer and turkey and all talk about ponds and food plots and feeders.  What is the local attitude, residents and LE about shooting on your land.

We have 20 acres here in AZ outside of city limits and surrounded by Natl Forest on 3 sides.  We shoot all we want.  Also, how is the hunting in the area?  The listings of course all say covered in deer and turkey but how is it really?

Appreciate all input.
View Quote
It's too bad you don't know anyone who could make one of these for you.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#30]
As to the amount of Turkey and deer.  Limit on deer is OVER 10 a year.  We have more deer in Tn now than when Columbus discovered the New World.  

Turkey has almost hit pest levels in some places.  Prime example is one spot in Bedford county that trapped and removed OVER 450 from just one farm.  Farmer told TWRA to either move them or he would poison them all as they were destroying his farm.  They removed that many and the spring hatch of what was left was MORE than TWRA moved.  We have flocks inside the City of Murfreesboro out near Lascassas Pike.

For myself I hate the damn Turkeys the TWRA (Tn Wildlife Resources Agency) brought in as they have killed the Quail Hunting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top