Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 5:02:07 PM EDT
https://www.theburn.com/tag/house-fire-mulch/

Science is both cool and strange.

Edit:  Also an archived thread from '05.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the problem with self combusting mulch;  pops up in one thread, then another then another . . .

Back when I was 12 or so, I managed to burn down half my mom's garden by dumping the wet yard clippings in a pile, rather than spreading them out as asked.

That only happened once.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Now my paranoia is surging.   Haven't been home in a while and the tree companies are dumping more mulch than I know what to do with it. I instructed for several dump piles to avoid thermal build. Freshly chipped green trees can get hot quickly.  

I've noticed greenhorns bail damp hay and have it cook off too.   Follow the science ??
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That's my sister's neighborhood.  She sent me a pic of the smoke in the distance.  It was well-involved before people started calling it in
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the problem with self combusting mulch;  pops up in one thread, then another then another . . .

Back when I was 12 or so, I managed to burn down half my mom's garden by dumping the wet yard clippings in a pile, rather than spreading them out as asked.

That only happened once.
View Quote

Self-inflicted, double-facepalm for me!  

I think I heard of this phenomenon in college, but had completely forgotten about it.

Don't pile mulch too high?  

Don't post while sleepy.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw large mulch piles smoking along Rt. 7 last fall. They were using those industrial tractor trailer size chippers to shred all those trees they were taking down to widen the road around Colvin Run mill. Those piles were about 12-15ft high. Some were smoking really well and this was in cool weather. Never heard any ignited.

On a related note, had a friend lose his entire house with his dog in it. He had been using linseed oil to dress up some reenacting gear on the back deck and left a rag draped over a woven plant basket to dry out. He lives in a rural area--went to the grocery store and came home to a total tragedy.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top