Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2021 9:45:43 AM EDT
We're just put our place here in Vegas on the market. My folks live in Pueblo West and my mother is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, so we are moving up to be closer to them and help my father out in caring for her. Also, the Californians have driven property values (and soon property taxes) through the roof in our neighborhood, and the DSA has literally taken control of the state Democratic party (and thus the state).

The plan is to stay with them for a month or two while we purchase a place in Pueblo West (as I have no interest in living *in* Pueblo itself). Can't find anywhere close to town to rent with our four dogs for that short of a period of time at any price.

We've taken a couple of trips up there recently to see them, but we tend to stay close to town because while mom is still aware enough to take care of herself outside of meals, nobody wants to leave her alone for too long.

Any great places in the surrounding area to go or that we should know about? Any good fishing in that area?

Any good shops up there for solid furniture pieces that aren't the typical shit sold in big box furniture stores?

We already hit all of the antique stores in Florence pretty much every time we go as I'm an old/rare book collector (but one of the poors in that game) and they always have some great books - got 12 volumes of a 1917 Charles Dickens set for under $100 last time I was there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, I can't speak for Pueblo but if you are bothered by Ca refugees coming in and voting liberal policies into place, you should do more research about CO- It is a blue state also. I can say a bit about Where I live- Saudi Aurora, The real estate prices have doubled since I bought in 2015. I paid $255,000 for my place in 2015 after returning from a contractor job (Ok..I drank beer and drove boats) in Bahrain, its assessed value which is debatable is around 500,000. Even on the low end of a short sale to someone like redfin for cash, I'd still be making around 150-175K on the low end of the spectrum and it would be gone in about 3-5 days. I'm prepping mine for sale right now and going back overseas after getting a clean bill of health. The only tough thing is tagging and bagging my 80 percent kits I never finished but for me, I've gotten over my "Rocky mountain high" and being limited to magazines less than 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was me I'd rent until my parents pass.  Hope that's not to harsh for you to hear, because it sucks.  Anyway, I don't find the political climate to be safe for those like us in CO.  Then move on to a free state.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was me I'd rent until my parents pass.  Hope that's not to harsh for you to hear, because it sucks.  Anyway, I don't find the political climate to be safe for those like us in CO.  Then move on to a free state.
View Quote

Yeah that's not an option with four pups. I really don't care much about the political climate, or the associated restrictions any more than I do here or when forced to spend time in Cali. So i think I'll be alright in that regard. There's really nowhere that will be "safe" in a few years. Hell the DSA has openly taken over the Dem party in my current state. ??

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah that's not an option with four pups. I really don't care much about the political climate, or the associated restrictions any more than I do here or when forced to spend time in Cali. So i think I'll be alright in that regard. There's really nowhere that will be "safe" in a few years. Hell the DSA has openly taken over the Dem party in my current state.

View Quote
Yeah I agree with you but Colorado is falling hard.  There is a reason so many guys come in here and announce their moves out of state.  No where is safe but there are better populations of people you can be around.  Hope you enjoy your time in Colorado either permanently or temporarily.  I can't really help much with your furniture questions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We're just put our place here in Vegas on the market. My folks live in Pueblo West and my mother is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, so we are moving up to be closer to them and help my father out in caring for her. Also, the Californians have driven property values (and soon property taxes) through the roof in our neighborhood, and the DSA has literally taken control of the state Democratic party (and thus the state).

The plan is to stay with them for a month or two while we purchase a place in Pueblo West (as I have no interest in living *in* Pueblo itself). Can't find anywhere close to town to rent with our four dogs for that short of a period of time at any price.

We've taken a couple of trips up there recently to see them, but we tend to stay close to town because while mom is still aware enough to take care of herself outside of meals, nobody wants to leave her alone for too long.

Any great places in the surrounding area to go or that we should know about? Any good fishing in that area?

Any good shops up there for solid furniture pieces that aren't the typical shit sold in big box furniture stores?

We already hit all of the antique stores in Florence pretty much every time we go as I'm an old/rare book collector (but one of the poors in that game) and they always have some great books - got 12 volumes of a 1917 Charles Dickens set for under $100 last time I was there.

Thanks!
View Quote
craigslist and facebook marketplace for good used furniture.

i usually give it away or toss it when i move.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
craigslist and facebook marketplace for good used furniture.

i usually give it away or toss it when i move.
View Quote

Nextdoor always has a ton of posts for free or cheap furniture too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, we made it. Got into town about ten days ago. The trip up was smooth until we were two hours from the finish line, when a deer decided that it had had enough of living just south of Fairplay, and it jumped out of the blind side of a lefthand turn coming down the mountains. Poor bastard had a broken back and punctured lung and needed the necessary done. The dogs thankfully didn't even react to the strike. Thankfully my better half stopped to pee somewhere behind and caught up shortly after with the UHaul while I was cursing and contemplating strapping the poor animal to my hood for my troubles. Managed to follow him the last two hours with my emergency flashers on - the impact sheared the shitty 1/4" locking hitch pin on my motorcycle trailer that I picked up at HF like a moron (I was in a hurry because my locking pin was nowhere to be found) but everything else was fine with the load. Thankfully it wasn't a vehicle on vehicle impact or the trailer might have come off the ball.

Attachment Attached File

Geico totaled the car out. Fucking sucks, I was just two payments off from being out from under a car note. Settlement will be enough to get me into something with 150K+ miles or another car note. Geico said a replacement would be impossible with today's market, and said the check's in the mail.

Put down a cash offer on a place Monday, got accepted Tuesday. It's a huge downsize from our Vegas house in square footage, but sits on a third of an acre and has a 740sqft shop with two 60A 220 runs, furnace, swamp cooler, water heater, and a plumbed in shitter.

It's not much, but at the end of the month it will be mine and it will be free and clear. Going from $2900/mo mortgage and $4k/yr property taxes to zero mortgage and $200/yr property taxes. I call it a win. Once I get the keys I am going to completely gut and remodel it before we move in. I am antsy to get them but have to wait for the title co and bank here and for the Vegas house to close so I can have cash in hand to bang out the renovation immediately. Lumber has really come down here in just the last two weeks, and I'm contemplating stocking up on a half pallet of 3/4" ply for subfloor replacement.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It's been pretty clear over the last week that my father needs significant help as mom's Alzheimer's progresses. She seems to be pretty happy to have me around, but sometimes there's too much stimulation and she is beginning to show the first signs of Sundowner's in the evenings. My better half returned to Vegas and is staying with friends until I finish the purchase and renovation, and keeping two of the pups there so we don't totally overwhelm mom. She adores my ridgeback, which is good and bad, because my ridgie is incredibly timid and mom can't remember not to try to chase her around for pets.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
does not play well with others

Edited by thedave1164
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Freeplay?  Fair Play?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Freeplay?  Fair Play?
View Quote

Fat fingers. Fixed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
We need to better train our deer to recognize the difference between California and other out of state plates.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to CO.  Sorry about the deer.  Had the same thing happen 1 hour from home at the end of a 19 hour drive.  Good on you for taking care of your parents.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nearly nailed a doe driving through Hygiene yesterday morning about 5:45AM, luckily I was still in the 30MPH zone and was able to brake in time.
View Quote

I've gotten pretty lucky with near misses over the years, but this time I didn't even have time to register what was happening much less even think about braking.

Guess I was all out of Deer Karma.

Motorcyclist got killed by one here in Pueblo two nights ago, deer jumped up and bout tore the rider in half. The insurance adjuster told me they've had way more strikes than usual in the last two years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Not surprising with the deer, sorry about the car. Is that a ford tempo in the back yard? If so, score!
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not surprising with the deer, sorry about the car. Is that a ford tempo in the back yard? If so, score!
View Quote

Yes it is.

I did ask the realtor if it comes with the place, and she mumbled something about it being gifted to her son. I am eleventybillion percent sure that it doesn't run, hasn't run in a long time, and will still be there when we close.

Realtor had a yard sale for some of the few items the previous owners didn't take (at their instruction), and now there is a Power Wheels Jeep in my soon to be yard along with some other junk that she must have brought from home to include in the yard sale. I have been assured it will all be cleared away by closing, but seems kind of random to me. The realtor seems like a really nice lady, though. Regardless, whatever is left is going into the 30y dumpster with the entire inside of the place.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Glad everyone was ok, cars can be replaced
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nearly nailed a doe driving through Hygiene yesterday morning about 5:45AM, luckily I was still in the 30MPH zone and was able to brake in time.

I've gotten pretty lucky with near misses over the years, but this time I didn't even have time to register what was happening much less even think about braking.

Guess I was all out of Deer Karma.

Motorcyclist got killed by one here in Pueblo two nights ago, deer jumped up and bout tore the rider in half. The insurance adjuster told me they've had way more strikes than usual in the last two years.

Glad everyone was ok, cars can be replaced

This is very, very true! What a god-awful time to be looking for a new car, though. I was just a few payments away from paying it off 2yrs early too. Here's hoping the sellers' market stays hot in Las Vegas for a few more weeks...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top