Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2022 10:45:01 PM EDT
I'm retiring at the end of the year and escaping from NYS to PA.  We are looking to rent a house at first and maybe buy something a couple of years.  I'm not sure of where to go but would like to be within 20 minutes of a decent pistol range or club.  The wife wants to be within 20 minutes of Costco.  Beyond that I have no idea.  Any suggestions for a town or area to look in?  The kids are grown and out the door so no school issues.  
thx
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Heritage Gun Club is in the Lehigh Valley in the Easton area.  

My in-laws moved to the Easton area (Palmer Township).  It's relatively nice, Costco is not far and there's a Wegman's.  

I hope you find something you like!
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Easton today for the first time. I've been around the college area all afternoon. Seems like a pretty nice town it reminds me alot of Gettysburg in the "college town" way. It seems pretty lively and welcoming.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm retiring at the end of the year and escaping from NYS to PA.  We are looking to rent a house at first and maybe buy something a couple of years.  I'm not sure of where to go but would like to be within 20 minutes of a decent pistol range or club.  The wife wants to be within 20 minutes of Costco.  Beyond that I have no idea.  Any suggestions for a town or area to look in?  The kids are grown and out the door so no school issues.  
thx
View Quote

Welcome to pa hopefully your wife doesnt vote democrat ??. I am originally from the bethlehem i was born there grew up in cali ex army and i live in carbon county north of you. The heritage Guild Easton has free range time for veterans active duty and first responders on mondays
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend you look either west Lehigh county or eastern Berks county.  There is a good amount of ranges and Costco would be 20 min away.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
EFGA in Easton was a nice little private club when I was a member about 10 years ago. I'm sure the cost of membership has probably gone up but back then it was only $30 a year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
New York you say?  PA is pretty full,  New Jersey is to our right, you’ll feel more at home there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
New York you say?  PA is pretty full,  New Jersey is to our right, you’ll feel more at home there.
View Quote

Yeah, no.  I've been dying to get out of commie ny for years. Hopefully we can help push PA back from purple to red.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, no.  I've been dying to get out of commie ny for years. Hopefully we can help push PA back from purple to red.
View Quote

Good deal.  Where in NY are you currently?  I have in-laws up in the Plattsburgh area.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
How about Sullivan County, Laporte?  It’s a 45 minute drive to Williamsport, but we have two ranges here, and even though I live in town, zero crime, no druggies, and everyone leaves you alone. If you get bored, flag down a Trooper, they are happy to have someone to talk to.  Once they know you are local, you’ll never have any issues.

I escaped NYS from the Fingerlakes..at least upstate NYS didn’t play the SAFE act junk.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good deal.  Where in NY are you currently?  I have in-laws up in the Plattsburgh area.
View Quote

Downstate, Westchester Co. NYC suburbs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh it will feel like you never left ny… expect for ltc you will not have get 4 character references and other nonesense like you did in ny..

You might want to look further south and feel real freedom
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We welcome any help we can get. I hope you find a good home here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Excepting the ease of getting a ccw permit, PA is a tax nightmare and should be avoided.  I grew up in the LV and left as soon as I could.  Everything that moved, and doesn't move, in PA is taxed.  State income tax, local income tax, privilege to work tax, state capital gains tax, highest fuel taxes in the nation and horrible roads.  The public workers pension fund is $10,000,000,000.00 in debt and the scum in Harrisburg that raided it keep raising taxes on everything to keep it running.  You will be sorry.  Keep looking south.  I moved to FL and am saving 8K a year on taxes. I never went back...even to visit.  LV is turning into a shit hole as the I-78 extension in the 80's made it a suburb of NYC for commuters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I was pushing for SC or TN but the family is still in NY and right now the wife won't leave the area.  She doesn't want to leave paradise that is NYS but I told her I am retiring and we are leaving NY.  PA is a compromise, out of NYS but close enough for her(us) to drive back to visit family.  Hopefully we can help push PA red again.  Or they can go total nazi like NY and we'll have to flee again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
They are turning communist like ny/nj why I suggested further south.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are turning communist like ny/nj why I suggested further south.
View Quote

So the solution is to keep retreating ? eventually we'll all live in the Everglades...
Welcome to PA OP...I've lived in the Lehigh Valley my entire 54 years...it's not the cornfields of my youth and I'd rather live in Hawaii (a non-existent non-lefty version), but it's home.

Look around Guthsville Rod & Gun, Ontelaunee rod and gun club, Topton Fish & Game...Costco is 20 minutes from those.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't wait to have you here OP.
Carbon County is a beautiful county to live in. Might not be close to a Costco.... But that's the cost of living in a decent area. It's also a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're not dead set on the Lehigh Valley, the Harrisburg area has Costco.  There are about a dozen gun clubs within a 30 minute drive and a Club with a 1000+ yard range an hour away.  There are also public ranges, both state run and privately run, but I'd suggest a private club.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top