Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 3:04:40 AM EDT
Some of you may remember I had a job offer in the Keys a few months ago. Well my wife shot that down.
As it turns out they never filled the spot and I was offered it again.

I’ll be there April 13th. I’m not sure if my wife is gonna be joining me but I’m done with Colorado.

Sorry for the disjointed post I’m a tad tipsy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!
I guess.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats and welcome!  Hopefully your spousal unit joins you...
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Are you guys in the Keys?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Be sure to Stop in to Carbones custom Firearms on Front St if you need a local FFL for transfers tell him Sweep sen ya
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I lived full-time in the Keys from 2004-2017 before moving to central FL. And owned a property with her dad from 1989 there. Lived on Cudjoe Key, most familiar with Marathon to Key West, but can answer on much of the Keys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife and I lived full-time in the Keys from 2004-2017 before moving to central FL. And owned a property with her dad from 1989 there. Lived on Cudjoe Key, most familiar with Marathon to Key West, but can answer on much of the Keys.
View Quote

My job requires me to be between Key Largo and Marathon. I personally like the Tavernier area. I was thinking I’d like to stay in that area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome . And if you hear the word “evacuate” don’t question it . Just go .
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My job requires me to be between Key Largo and Marathon. I personally like the Tavernier area. I was thinking I’d like to stay in that area.
View Quote

Tavernier probably a good choice - less "Miami" than Key Largo and still has some "Old Keys" feel now that Islamorada is gentrifying. If normal ever comes back, you want to be north of Snake Creek bridge and maybe even Tavernier  Creek bridge -- you can 1-2 hour delays through Islamorada. These can be during events and just traffic during winter "snowbird" season.

Costs are high as you have probably already noticed. Mariner's Hospital is best in Keys [doesn't say much] and you are close enough to better ones on the mainland. Same with shopping and entertainment, you'll stop thinking about 75-mile round trips to the mainland -- they'll be normal.

Only range around there was Kiffney's when I left in 2017, not counting a private range in KL by Ocean Reef crowd. If you don't like water - fishing, boating, snorkeling, you will have a tough time or be going to the mainland constantly.

Hurricanes are another issue that divides people: what category do you leave for [obviously depends on house], risk of being blocked from returning [job affect; damage repair delay], safe storage availability for boats, second cars, etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tavernier probably a good choice - less "Miami" than Key Largo and still has some "Old Keys" feel now that Islamorada is gentrifying. If normal ever comes back, you want to be north of Snake Creek bridge and maybe even Tavernier  Creek bridge -- you can 1-2 hour delays through Islamorada. These can be during events and just traffic during winter "snowbird" season.

Costs are high as you have probably already noticed. Mariner's Hospital is best in Keys [doesn't say much] and you are close enough to better ones on the mainland. Same with shopping and entertainment, you'll stop thinking about 75-mile round trips to the mainland -- they'll be normal.

Only range around there was Kiffney's when I left in 2017, not counting a private range in KL by Ocean Reef crowd. If you don't like water - fishing, boating, snorkeling, you will have a tough time or be going to the mainland constantly.

Hurricanes are another issue that divides people: what category do you leave for [obviously depends on house], risk of being blocked from returning [job affect; damage repair delay], safe storage availability for boats, second cars, etc.
View Quote

Awesome thanks for the info. I honestly don’t see myself going to the mainland very often. The only things I really enjoyed about Miami was the beach and the food in Little Havana.

As far as hurricanes go that part is brand new for me. Blizzards, tornados and avalanches I can deal with hell I grew up with those. The company I’ll be working for has a building that is designed to withstand a cat 5 that I believe employees are allowed to wait them out in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I think everyone should avail themselves to actually calling the Keys "home" for at least a couple years.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, living in the foreign country of "Conch Republic" gives you a unique perspective of that country called America! ;) If you have money, either as retiree or with a good job, it has a lot to offer. Moving down there assuming you will get a part-time job and spend your nights drinking and listening to live music, well reality hits you pretty hard.

If you can't buy your place to live with cash, hurricane insurance can cost more than your mortgage. Taxes overall are moderate to bad once you add in everything. But weather is great in the winter, lots of "characters" you will meet, unending water, great views of clouds/lightning/waterspouts, casual dress [collared shirt is formal], and so on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I would love to live in a Keys.....My only concern would be heavy traffic, low speed limits and lack of good beaches...
I still spend at least a week every year there...
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I'm in the Panhandle, sorry.  I meant "Welcome to FL".  

Born in S Fl.  I've spent an awful lot of time in the Keys, absolutely love it there.  (BTW, it gets hot as hell in the summer)
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats.  What industry are you in?  My wife lived in Marathon for many years before I met her.  I have always visited the Keys about once a year for my whole life.  I love it, but my wife always says there are two types of people that live in the keys; fisherman and alcoholics. Some are both.  Just kidding, but cultural diversity is missing there.  I'm sure you will miss that about CO.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congrats.  What industry are you in?  My wife lived in Marathon for many years before I met her.  I have always visited the Keys about once a year for my whole life.  I love it, but my wife always says there are two types of people that live in the keys; fisherman and alcoholics. Some are both.  Just kidding, but cultural diversity is missing there.  I'm sure you will miss that about CO.

View Quote

I’m in the electric utility industry. There’s plenty I’ll miss about Colorado. However the place has really gone downhill. I fully expect California style gun control inside of five years.

I know quite a few conservatives that have bailed in the recent years. Off the top of my head  I can think of three from this very site.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I spend about 4 months a year down there for work. Usually Key West or Marathon.

I like Marathon a lot more. More my speed. Sparky's happy hour is a must if you're around there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, start working on your hurricane plan now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh believe me it’s definitely on my mind. I was gonna ask you Florida folks for suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh believe me it’s definitely on my mind. I was gonna ask you Florida folks for suggestions.
View Quote

There are really only two option in the Keys

1. Leave early
2. Stay, but make sure you have plenty of beer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh believe me it's definitely on my mind. I was gonna ask you Florida folks for suggestions.
View Quote
Feel free to give the company I work for a shout if you need impact windows and sliders. That's what we spend all our time down there doing. They're expensive but most category 5's don't got shit on them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to Florida!   Start reading the generator threads in the Survival section if you haven’t already.  It’s almost obligatory for anyone moving to Florida.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top