Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2021 5:56:03 PM EDT
Moving to VA for work in a couple months, need something between DC and Richmond.  Fredericksburg is obviously halfway between the two, are there any neighborhoods in particular I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Would not live in the city of Fredericksburg. to BLUE
Where will you be working, if D.C would you take the train in. Train stations are east side of 95 & north of Rt 3
Would be better to know if working N/S, E/W of Fredericksburg.

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Why between DC and Richmond?

Where is your actual job location?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 3:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why between DC and Richmond?

Where is your actual job location?
View Quote

Working in Richmond from a DC office if that makes sense.  Both locations 6 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Live closer to DC if you’re going to have to go to both

True story:

In 2006 I was in the process of moving to the northern Virginia area.  I had a job in downtown Richmond…literally downtown, my office overlooked the James river….and I had an offer at a job in DC.  For ease, as the crow flies, the job in DC was 30 miles from my new house, the job in Richmond more than 90 miles

I spent a week exploring different ways to get to the DC job.   I took the metro, the VRE, a commuter van, i drove myself, you get the idea

Not once did I get to the job site in DC faster than the one in Richmond

And that was 2006

Before the abomination that is now 66 (worst highway in America), before the explosion in government during the Obama years. The northern Virginia infrastructure is much farther behind population now than it was then

Plan accordingly
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The suburbs just south and west of Fredericksburg are fine.  Commuting by car towards the DC area really sucks but the Virginia Railway Express is a real option.  Even more so if your employer offers a subsidy.  Check out the locations of the stations and search the nearby areas for housing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If my schedule allowed me to take the VRE north. and wanted to live in a neighborhood, I would look in the area of Leeland station in south Stafford. You would be close to everything but avoid the traffic on Rt3, Rt610 & Rt17. If I could not take the VRE, I would look in the Massaponax / Thornburg area. I would want a better quality of life/less traffic when I was off work.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The farther south you go the less housing prices will be.  You will pay close to double for a house or apartment in the DC area that is "commutable" over what you will pay for a similar house in the RVA area.  I am always amazed at how much my friends, who live in NOVA, pay for their house/apt/condo....  
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The farther south you go the less housing prices will be.  You will pay close to double for a house or apartment in the DC area that is "commutable" over what you will pay for a similar house in the RVA area.  I am always amazed at how much my friends, who live in NOVA, pay for their house/apt/condo....  
View Quote

That's the same issue I had moving here, anything close to work was expensive, so I drive 60-90 minutes each way.  Housing is slightly cheaper in VA as long as you buy, rent looks a little higher.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
As suggested already, South or West of Fredericksburg will give a better quality of life and be significantly more affordable.   RVA traffic is predictable and easy, NOVA is just plain silly.  Sounds like you might be interested in buying, I'd bet home outside the metro areas will increase in value more as our urban areas degrade and smart people escaped.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Little update, just wrapping up my first day in Richmond.  After finding out more about my job I'm looking at anything under 500k with 5+ acres around the west and north of Richmond.  Staying in Henrico for a week or so to talk to realtors and stuff, already hit a bunch of spots recommended in another Richmond thread.  So far I'm liking how cheap everything is compared to the Seattle area, headed to DC tomorrow to get a feel for the commute and be a tourist for a while.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Little update, just wrapping up my first day in Richmond.  After finding out more about my job I'm looking at anything under 500k with 5+ acres around the west and north of Richmond.  Staying in Henrico for a week or so to talk to realtors and stuff, already hit a bunch of spots recommended in another Richmond thread.  So far I'm liking how cheap everything is compared to the Seattle area, headed to DC tomorrow to get a feel for the commute and be a tourist for a while.
View Quote

Richmond to DC commute?  allocate at least 3 hours.  Get an EZ pass, it won't solve the problem but at least it will get you around some of the crap for 20-50 bucks each way.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Drive the commute a few times at the times you would be when working.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just to Fredericksburg, train from there!
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Train from Fburg takes a significantly longer amount of time in the summer from what I've been told -- something about speed restrictions in hot weather due to poor track quality.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Train from Fburg takes a significantly longer amount of time in the summer from what I've been told -- something about speed restrictions in hot weather due to poor track quality.
View Quote

I should be down here full time by then, only going to DC the first few months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Make sure you are prepared for rail service to be shut down with the slightest of winter weather.  It is crazy to me how many times the VRE and DC Metro close for a couple of inches of snow.  And forget trying to drive north if there is even the threat of snow in NOVA.  Snow in NOVA moves the region to DEFCON 2 I think.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there's a defined end to the madness it might be tolerable.  I commuted fburg to West Bethesda for a while, and Herndon for a while after that, it was just too much.  I can't even imagine doing Richmond to DC, that would kill me.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Fredericksburg resident here.
It is solid blue city (constant 60-40 Dem voting) with almost all official positions are Dem super majority, especially the school board and the city council (also Dem majority), which rejected to be a part of 2A sanctuary city almost right away and implemented all the "Woke" stuff.
The school system performance is way below the national average and 60% of the students are classified as low income families. I was told that the middle schools have drugs and other issues as well. My kids are still in Elementary school, but I am serious thinking to move them to a private school.
The school board announced that they would not comply with the governor's EO for parents choice for masking at school less than 24 hours the EO was announced. No evidence or scientific data (just like CDC) was provided to back up the claim of "the best tool to prevent the spread of the COVID19".
They are literality going against the law (or EO) while telling the parents and students to obey the rule set by the Dem majority school board based on CDC's "recommendation".

Do not move to any city if you love freedom and common sense. I'd recommend Spotsylvania county (solid red I think) if you plan to commute to DC/NOVA area while protecting your sanity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If there's a defined end to the madness it might be tolerable.  I commuted fburg to West Bethesda for a while, and Herndon for a while after that, it was just too much.  I can't even imagine doing Richmond to DC, that would kill me.  

View Quote

Did it today, left the hotel at 4:45, got to work at 7:30.  Ill make it work if I can get TDY when working in DC to help offset the expenses.  

Checking out some houses tomorrow in a few different areas; Mechanicsville, Tappahannock, and Ruther Glen being my #1 for now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did it today, left the hotel at 4:45, got to work at 7:30.  Ill make it work if I can get TDY when working in DC to help offset the expenses.  

Checking out some houses tomorrow in a few different areas; Mechanicsville, Tappahannock, and Ruther Glen being my #1 for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was the commute home?  I hit five hours one day, that was the final straw for me that made me start looking closer to home.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Amtrak has at least one early morning train from Richmond to DC, with a return in the late afternoon. You can board at either the Staples Mill Rd station or in Downtown Ashland.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tappahannock is really nice, but it's 50 miles from there to Fredericksburg, then up 95 to DC. Way, way too far to commute.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Another update, toured a bunch of homes today, favorite one was built by someone that is probably on this site, in Ruther Glen.  Going to call the bank and crunch some numbers.  Making an offer before the weekend, fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Wrapping up my trip today, put in a couple more offers before I fly back to WA.  I haven't found a place that gives me everything I wanted but found a few that are still very acceptable.  In the event I dont get a place I can shoot on, are there any gravel pits or DNR-managed ranges in the woods around Richmond?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Va does not have DNR land, We have National Forest, which has shooting ranges in a few places. We also have Wildlife Mgt areas (WMA). some have shooting ranges. The only problem with that is most are closed on Mondays & only open some mths of the year. They are really only classified as sighting in ranges. The closest one to Richmond is the Amelia WMA. Which is about a 50 min. drive. You can go on the Va National Forest  or the VA WMA websites to get all the rules. Most people know someone with land or go to a pay to play range or belong to a club. Ashland has an indoor range. Quantico MCB has a shooting club.(outdoor) A member here is a RSO. he might chime in. They go out to a 1000yds. The Richmond area does have other places but I'm not familiar with them. I have a friend with a farm.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
With a budget of 500k you should be able to find a decent home on some land in Spotsylvania/Orange/Louisa counties.  

Might have to spend a bit more to get more than 5/10 ac.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Keep us updated! Tough market for buyers right now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pending at $500k in Ruther Glen area, only 2.5 acres but hopefully cool neighbors behind with a tree farm.  Got tired of being outbid so went $25k over asking, seems to have paid off.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Pending at $500k in Ruther Glen area, only 2.5 acres but hopefully cool neighbors behind with a tree farm.  Got tired of being outbid so went $25k over asking, seems to have paid off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to Caroline County!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top