Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2023 12:52:10 AM EDT
So my job has me moving to southern Illinois, what do I need to know about gun laws?  With the AWB does that mean I can't bring my ar15s and stuff or would it be ok till the 1 January 2024 date to register them?  Are my home made (I engraved them) lowers good to bring?  Any info would be great, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Which part of southern IL? Best overall would be to live in border state and commute if possible. The new ban only includes a 24hr “transportation” period for out of state residents. I am not aware of it addressing relocation.
Maybe locate a nearby gun club and see if they have an attorney they’ll recommend or find a pro2A one and consult.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]

(c) Except as provided in subsections (d), (e), (f), and
2(h), on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act of
3the 102nd General Assembly, it is unlawful for any person
4within this State to knowingly deliver, sell, or purchase or
5cause to be delivered, sold, or purchased or cause to be
6possessed by another, an assault weapon, assault weapon
7attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge.
8    (d) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (e), (f),
9and (h), 300 days after the effective date of this amendatory
10Act of the 102nd General Assembly, it is unlawful for any
11person within this State to knowingly possess an assault
12weapon, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge.
13    (e) This Section does not apply to a person who possessed
14an assault weapon or .50 caliber rifle prohibited by
15subsection (d) of this Section before the effective date of
16this amendatory Act of the 102nd General Assembly, provided
17the person has provided in a registration affidavit, under
18oath or affirmation and in the form and manner prescribed by
19the Illinois State Police on or after 180 days after the
20effective date of this amendatory Act of the 102nd General
21Assembly but within 300 days after the effective date of this
22amendatory Act of the 102nd General Assembly:

View Quote

It says you have to possess it before the law was passed, and register it before the deadline.  It doesn't say you had to possess it IN ILLINOIS, just possess it. I don't see how they could jam you up on that, but who knows in this state.

Home made lowers are another ball of wax entirely.  There is a "ghost gun" law on the books.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Another thread in this hometown forum is Todd Vandermyde's youtube channel FreedomSteel. He puts out frequent videos on where we are in fighting gun laws.

The current ban allows you to own an AR, but not have magazines over 10rd capacity. Pistol mags limited to 12rds (ETA 15). Todd pointed out that this includes mags that can be easily converted to carry more than 12rds(15) (all mags with removable bottom plate).  So, the state wants everyone to register their firearms to be allowed to keep and bear arms retroactively, and modify their mags so they cannot be altered/increased. So far, almost every county sherrif has publicly proclaimed that this law will not be enforced because it is clearly unconstitutional. Only the state police have been enforcing it, and those instances only seem to be when FFLs are flagrantly and publicly violating the law.

We're looking for property in Missouri.  If you are in commuting range, I agree you should live in a free state and drive in for work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another thread in this hometown forum is Todd Vandermyde's youtube channel FreedomSteel. He puts out frequent videos on where we are in fighting gun laws.

The current ban allows you to own an AR, but not have magazines over 10rd capacity. Pistol mags limited to 12rds. Todd pointed out that this includes mags that can be easily converted to carry more than 12rds (all mags with removable bottom plate).  So, the state wants everyone to register their firearms to be allowed to keep and bear arms retroactively, and modify their mags so they cannot be altered/increased. So far, almost every county sherrif has publicly proclaimed that this law will not be enforced because it is clearly unconstitutional. Only the state police have been enforcing it, and those instances only seem to be when FFLs are flagrantly and publicly violating the law.

We're looking for property in Missouri.  If you are in commuting range, I agree you should live in a free state and drive in for work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The current ban allows you to own an AR, but not have magazines over 10rd capacity. Pistol mags limited to 12rds. Todd pointed out that this includes mags that can be easily converted to carry more than 12rds (all mags with removable bottom plate).  So, the state wants everyone to register their firearms to be allowed to keep and bear arms retroactively, and modify their mags so they cannot be altered/increased. So far, almost every county sherrif has publicly proclaimed that this law will not be enforced because it is clearly unconstitutional. Only the state police have been enforcing it, and those instances only seem to be when FFLs are flagrantly and publicly violating the law.

This is simply not true.  Read the statute.  If you already had it you are grandfathered.

(d) Subsection (c) does not apply to a person's possession
of a large capacity ammunition feeding device if the person
lawfully possessed that large capacity ammunition feeding
device before the effective date of this amendatory Act
of the
102nd General Assembly, provided that the person shall possess
such device only:
       (1) on private property owned or immediately
   controlled by the person;
       (2) on private property that is not open to the public
   with the express permission of the person who owns or
   immediately controls such property;
       (3) while on the premises of a licensed firearms
   dealer or gunsmith for the purpose of lawful repair;
       (4) while engaged in the legal use of the large
   capacity ammunition feeding device at a properly licensed
   firing range or sport shooting competition venue; or
       (5) while traveling to or from these locations,
   provided that the large capacity ammunition feeding device
   is stored unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm
   carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
   A person authorized under this Section to possess a large
capacity ammunition feeding device may transfer the large
capacity ammunition feeding device only to an heir, an
individual residing in another state maintaining it in another
state, or a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under
Section 923 of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968. Within 10
days after transfer of the large capacity ammunition feeding
device except to an heir, the person shall notify the Illinois
State Police of the name and address of the transferee and
comply with the requirements of subsection (b) of Section 3 of
the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. The person to whom
the large capacity ammunition feeding device is transferred
shall, within 60 days of the transfer, notify the Illinois
State Police of the person's acquisition and comply with the
requirements of subsection (b) of Section 3 of the Firearm
Owners Identification Card Act. A person to whom the large
capacity ammunition feeding device is transferred may transfer
it only as provided in this subsection.
   Except as provided in subsections (e) and (f) and
beginning 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory
Act of the 102nd General Assembly, any person who moves into
this State in possession of a large capacity ammunition
feeding device shall, within 60 days, apply for a Firearm
Owners Identification Card.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is simply not true.  Read the statute.  If you already had it you are grandfathered.

View Quote

If you register you will be grandfathered. Also, I think I used an old source when I looked it up. 15 rounds for pistols, not 12. Sorry about that.

Mag ban Freedom's Steel
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish living in one of the surrounding states was an option but sadly that isn't (commute would be too far and unbearable with the amount of work hours for me).

I am thinking that leaving my guns at my parent's place for the mean time till I have this Firearms card and figure some of this out.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Where at in Southern Illinois? That means different things to different people.

Living in far SOIL, I'm seeing a lot more state troopers here lately. I believe there will be a big "enforcement" push going on in the "less enlightened" parts of the state very soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you register you will be grandfathered. Also, I think I used an old source when I looked it up. 15 rounds for pistols, not 12. Sorry about that.

Mag ban Freedom's Steel
View Quote

The statute doesn't provide for registration of magazines.

I really don't understand what your are saying here, or what relevance Todd's video has to the discussion.  "Assault Weapons" previously possessed have to be registered.  Hi-Cap mags previously possessed are grandfathered, and the statute does not provide for registration.

Todd's video must be referring to purchases of NEW magazines and what will be allowed, because the law doesn't apply to "pre-ban" mags by its plain language.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The statute doesn't provide for registration of magazines.

I really don't understand what your are saying here, or what relevance Todd's video has to the discussion.  "Assault Weapons" previously possessed have to be registered.  Hi-Cap mags previously possessed are grandfathered, and the statute does not provide for registration.

Todd's video must be referring to purchases of NEW magazines and what will be allowed, because the law doesn't apply to "pre-ban" mags by its plain language.
View Quote

I think we're saying the same things but talking past each other. Todd's video points out that the language of the law doesn't allow for most mags in carry situations. Also points out that stores are still selling them because no one is really paying attention to the details of the law.

How will you determine "NEW" mags from "pre-ban" mags? I'm just hoping these law suits shut the whole act down and hold onto a bit of freedom.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wish living in one of the surrounding states was an option but sadly that isn't (commute would be too far and unbearable with the amount of work hours for me).

I am thinking that leaving my guns at my parent's place for the mean time till I have this Firearms card and figure some of this out.  

View Quote

Hey ARF ... the OPs first post was 17 yrs after he joined while living in WA, and the next day he posted from NV ... while relocating to IL ...

Just sayin' ...
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]
17 Years ago I was stationed in Wa, then I was overseas for a long time, now I am retired taking a vacation with my parents that I haven't seen for a decade plus and recently got a job in Il.  I may be looking for information on laws and stuff for a more restrictive state then I am used to or I am an agent of the AFT looking for dogs to shoot.  Your choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly dude I would find a different job. Stay the f*** away from the state it's only going to get worse.

I know it's probably an improvement from Washington but it'll get there eventually.

Chicago runs entire state
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Honestly dude I would find a different job. Stay the f*** away from the state it's only going to get worse.

I know it's probably an improvement from Washington but it'll get there eventually.

Chicago runs entire state
View Quote

This is hard to read because it is true.

Chicago used to be 'the city that works' and they just replaced Mayor Lightfoot with a former Teacher Union leader. Imagine how fked up an entire city the size of Chicago will become if allowed to run like the public school system.

And yet there are legit good people in Chicagoland and outside The City - and a lot of them. Unfortunately, as long as Chicago is allowed to set policy, the situation will deteriorate and smart people will continue to exit the state.

Look at Detroit for the roadmap ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top