Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2018 7:03:02 AM EDT
Hi everyone! I'm finally making my moves to get the hell out of NJ. I absolutely hate it here and am anxious to move!

Now in NJ, we don't get CCW's so I'm not too familiar with the process as a whole. From what I read I have to go to the Sheriff's office in the county I'll be living in for the permit application?

Before I get the permit, is there anything I need to learn about prior to applying for it? Do I need to have lived in PA for a certain period of time or can I apply once I get my drivers license and all that situated?

I'm also assuming I don't need to do anything for my guns/rifles except bring them over? No registration or transfer paperwork needed?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the county. IIRC I had to wait three months. Check your local sheriff's office.

No transfer paperwork needed. Welcome to the United States.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
What County in PA needs 3 months to process a Shall Issue license???

Bring your guns, no issues there.

Contact the Sheriffs Office for the County you are going reside in for details. Some try to make it hard! Ours (Lancaster Co) used to require you show up in person to get an application, only One, then return another day to file it

Check online to see what your Sheriff wants, ie: Lycoming or Lancaster

In all cases you will need to prove residence (bills rental agreement etc.) You will also need Two non-family references. Don't get too excited about this. Ask someone at work or just stick their name/address/phone number since it unlikely they will be checked anyway.

Other than that, just sit back and enjoy freedom as it was intended
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never tasted freedom before, it's exciting! haha

Right now we are looking at Buck county and Montgomery counties. I'll check out the requirement for those places.

As for references, in NJ we need references to take a crap so that's nothing new to me. I've got people in PA that are avid gun owners and will vouch for me if they do check the references.

Thank you for all your help! I cannot wait to get the hell out of Jersey and not look back. Knowing I'll be here for basically another two months is killing me. I absolutely hate how they run this state.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Right now we are looking at Buck county and Montgomery counties. I'll check out the requirement for those places.

As for references, in NJ we need references to take a crap so that's nothing new to me. I've got people in PA that are avid gun owners and will vouch for me if they do check the references.

Thank you for all your help! I cannot wait to get the hell out of Jersey and not look back. Knowing I'll be here for basically another two months is killing me. I absolutely hate how they run this state.
View Quote
you get to pump your own gas here too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no requirement to have lived in PA for a certain length of time in order to get your license to carry. Any sheriff who requires this is making an illegal requirement. Once you establish residency, you are a PA resident.

There is no registration of firearms in PA, so you don't need to do anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I moved to Northampton county from NY last year. Once I got my driver's  license I went to the sheriff's office, filled out the one page application,  paid I believe  $20, got my picture taken and walked out all within 10 minutes. Got my license in the mail 2 weeks later. Incredibly simple compared to NY.

Btw: I hope you enjoy your new freedom as much as I am. I already have 2 tax stamps and 3 more pending. I am taking full advantage of my new freedom.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oddly enough, I'm excited about this too. Over here it can be so crowded that you wait to have someone pump gas and then wait for them to come back.

Quoted:
I moved to Northampton county from NY last year. Once I got my driver's  license I went to the sheriff's office, filled out the one page application,  paid I believe  $20, got my picture taken and walked out all within 10 minutes. Got my license in the mail 2 weeks later. Incredibly simple compared to NY.

Btw: I hope you enjoy your new freedom as much as I am. I already have 2 tax stamps and 3 more pending. I am taking full advantage of my new freedom.
i have a list of things I want to do with my new freedom. I've been wanting to live in PA for years, but a lot has kept my in NJ. My time is finally coming and I'll be breathing fresh freedom filled air.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm in Bucks county, it couldn't be easier here. After moving from NJ I literally went straight from the dmv after getting my drivers license to the sheriffs office and got my carry license on the spot. You just fill out the application and pay $20, they do an instant background check that takes 5 minutes and then take your photo and print out the license right there. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

ETA: I listed friends who are residents of NJ as my references, they were never contacted.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It depends on the county. IIRC I had to wait three months. Check your local sheriff's office.

View Quote
What

What county was this?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What

What county was this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What

What county was this?
Allegheny is like that.

Shortest wait I've had was 15 minutes, longest was 20 days, in my AO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm in Bucks county, it couldn't be easier here. After moving from NJ I literally went straight from the dmv after getting my drivers license to the sheriffs office and got my carry license on the spot. You just fill out the application and pay $20, they do an instant background check that takes 5 minutes and then take your photo and print out the license right there. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

ETA: I listed friends who are residents of NJ as my references, they were never contacted.
View Quote
That's great! That's what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like PA is going to be a good choice for me and I'll be much happier there. This state is getting worse and worse. Time to abandon ship!
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
One other question if anyone knows the answer, what are the diesel emissions inspections like for PA? Specifically Bucks county. I'm getting my information mixed up base on PA's website. Some places say it's required and others say diesel emissions isn't required at all in the state.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One other question if anyone knows the answer, what are the diesel emissions inspections like for PA? Specifically Bucks county. I'm getting my information mixed up base on PA's website. Some places say it's required and others say diesel emissions isn't required at all in the state.
View Quote
everybody I know  has a diesel does not get emissions  inspected for normal pickup trucks
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Diesel is emissions exempt in Bucks County.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Allegheny is like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What

What county was this?
Allegheny is like that.

I probably waited about 20 days for my first CC permit, which was in Allegheny Co. That was back in the nineties when everything was snail mail, etc, though
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the information everyone! Can't wait to move and get the ball rolling!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#18]
As a Pennsylvania native, please don't bring  any NJ/NY politics to Pennsylvania!  It's close enough right now holding the line against the democrat gun grabbers and weak republicans!

Enjoy your new found freedom!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As a Pennsylvania native, please don't bring  any NJ/NY politics to Pennsylvania!  It's close enough right now holding the line against the democrat gun grabbers and weak republicans!

Enjoy your new found freedom!
View Quote
A-freaking-men!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#20]
if you live in lower bucks you can get it in 30 mins. they changed it a bit after i got mine to process and print the same day. got mine last winter and it took 3 weeks. filed and she said come back after next tuesday. had big snowstorm that week. came back next week they spelled my name wrong. 3rd time was the charm.

for lower bucks you can go to doylestown or the county building on new falls road in levittown. the new falls address is only a couple miles from home so i went there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#21]
You don't need to worry about that at all! I don't belong in NJ and don't believe in any of their politics. This state does everything a$$ backwards and it's disgusting. I cannot stand it here.

I'll also be moving at the end of this month! So long NJ

I was reviewing the requirements for getting my concealed carry license and it says that if you have received your PA driver's license in the last 6 months then you need to provide 2 utility bills. I'll only have one of their approved bill (lease agreement), so it looks like I won't be able to get my carry license till late in December or January.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn’t stress about the utility bills.
When I moved to Allegheny county, I brought the sheriff my temporary PA license and used out of state references.

Thought the utility bills were for getting the drivers license and there were other options to fill the requirements. Vehicle registration should work.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't think about registration. I can always call and ask if they have alternative options.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]
 The last time I renewed my CCH I spent more time finding a parking spot than I did in the office.

ETA: I hope you get Class III Fever. Pricy but worth it

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Haha I'm definitely going to get Class III fever! There is no way I'm moving to PA and not getting some Class III goodies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top