Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/8/2018 4:39:19 PM EDT
Hello all. Moving to Ohio in November. I will be recruiting out of Fremont. How is the area? Glad to see that Ohio gun laws look pretty good. You guys expect that to stay that way? Would like to start my wait time on a few suppressors when I get there. Looks close to Camp Perry, would like to get over the and try to get that President's 100 tab while I'm up there. Looking at houses in Port Clinton. Any areas worth considering over others? What else should I know before getting there? Coming in from Washington, so already planning on detouring around Chicago coming in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the party, pal!

As far as gun laws, Ohio has it good and they've just been getting better in the last 2 decades. There's statewide preemption on firearms laws so no municipality can enact laws stronger than state laws (although the major cities of Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati may try). All NFA items are good to go.

I don't live in that area but Fremont/Port Clinton area, from my observations, will have economies based around agriculture or tourism. Port Clinton is on Lake Erie and essentially a gateway to Erie Islands, aka Put-In-Bay. If you like to have a few drinks I'm sure you'll end up at Put-In-Bay at least once.

The further south from the lake you get in that area the tourism/service industry turns into agriculture.

Again, welcome, and I' sure someone will be along soon with better housing information.

ETA: National Matches are cool. I've visited but never shot them, but have shot at Perry before. There's a group that hosts pop-up shoots there, which sound like fun. Camp Perry also has a CMP store so if you don't have a Garand yet get qualified and hand pick the one you want.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm from Port Clinton. It's a great place to live. Low crime area.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I do have a Garand, but it can't hurt to keep an eye on their selection for more. How are the ranges ran, are they open year round? I'm Army so shouldn't be a problem accessing Camp Perry if it's not always open to public.

Just started looking at houses, there are a bunch along the lake in Port Clinton and Oak Harbor. Both are about a 20 mile commute to the recruiting station I'll be at. Am I crazy for looking at ones on the water?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do have a Garand, but it can't hurt to keep an eye on their selection for more. How are the ranges ran, are they open year round? I'm Army so shouldn't be a problem accessing Camp Perry if it's not always open to public.

Just started looking at houses, there are a bunch along the lake in Port Clinton and Oak Harbor. Both are about a 20 mile commute to the recruiting station I'll be at. Am I crazy for looking at ones on the water?
View Quote
Camp Perry is an open base..  They have things going on year round... check out the CMP web pages and check out Friends of camp Perry  and ORPA all have regular events at Perry.. Plus the national matches..

Houses can be pricey in Port Clinton. we looked for a summer rental a few years back and the prices were pretty high.. it is a summer vacation town and very quiet in the winter.

Fremont is a a bit cheaper to live in but a older town kinda removed from the bigger city's..

I will warn you Fremont and PC are not Washington. you are in for a bit of a culture shock..

But welcome to Ohio and we will see you at the Nationals next year..
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, some of the homes are a little pricey for their sizes. Maybe I'll be able to get an alright deal, buying in the off season. Or I'll suck it up and just have to buy close enough to walk to the water.

Home for me is Arkansas, so I'm sure it won't take long to acclimate. Love being outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Home for me is Arkansas, so I'm sure it won't take long to acclimate. Love being outdoors.
View Quote
You like fishing? You'll be in a prime area for fishing, plus ice fishing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't done much, but could definitely see taking it up being so close to the water.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Haven't done much, but could definitely see taking it up being so close to the water.
View Quote
There isn't anything like fishing lake erie, in my opinion.  It's so much fun.  Love walleye fishing there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, some of the homes are a little pricey for their sizes. Maybe I'll be able to get an alright deal, buying in the off season. Or I'll suck it up and just have to buy close enough to walk to the water.

View Quote
You'd probably do better for the price in Oak Harbor. It's a nice little town, too.

If you look for housing in Fremont, do your research. There are some rough places in that town. Personally, I wouldn't live there at all.

Port Clinton is nice, but you will pay a premium for a place on the water and it's a tourist trap 6 months or so out of the year.

There's some land and houses for sale, at fairly reasonable prices, in the areas between Elmore and Gibsonburg and around Gibsonburg. It's pretty rural out there, too.

The Genoa area will keep you within 30 minutes or so within Fremont, but it has also become somewhat trendy and the real estate prices usually reflect that.

Check out Sandusky County Sportsman's Club II. Its a great place to shoot, with reasonable membership fees. It's fairly close to Fremont and most areas you're looking to move to, as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The gun laws should stay that way IF we can keep Cordray out.

When you get here, register to vote right away so you can vote in the Nov. Election and keep the dems out of office, they are anti gun for the most part. Some of then "claim" to be pro gun and then vote in "common Sense" gun laws.

Fremont is not too bad an area.

The weather is a little worse around the lake.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You'd probably do better for the price in Oak Harbor. It's a nice little town, too.

If you look for housing in Fremont, do your research. There are some rough places in that town. Personally, I wouldn't live there at all.

Port Clinton is nice, but you will pay a premium for a place on the water and it's a tourist trap 6 months or so out of the year.

There's some land and houses for sale, at fairly reasonable prices, in the areas between Elmore and Gibsonburg and around Gibsonburg. It's pretty rural out there, too.

The Genoa area will keep you within 30 minutes or so within Fremont, but it has also become somewhat trendy and the real estate prices usually reflect that.

Check out Sandusky County Sportsman's Club II. Its a great place to shoot, with reasonable membership fees. It's fairly close to Fremont and most areas you're looking to move to, as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My searching has been heading towards the east, even out to Perrysburg. How is traffic in the morning heading away from Toledo? Looks like I could take 90 or 20 directly to Fremont for the towns you listed. Have also looked at a few of the downtown renovated warehouse loft type apartment buildings. I'm a single guy at the moment, so I think a lot of the houses in the good areas at my budget, 150-250K are just way more than I need. I'll PCS again in a few years, and would like to avoid getting more stuff just because I have 3 extra bedrooms ad a basement to fill.

Will look into them. I'd like to do more long range stuff, currently have only been going to a 300 yard range. Any 600+ ranges nearby?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#12]
New question. How long is boating season on Erie? Looked at some condos with personal docks and now think I should have a boat for my 3 year stint.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Ohio has some Great state parks. Make sure you check them out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
New question. How long is boating season on Erie? Looked at some condos with personal docks and now think I should have a boat for my 3 year stint.
View Quote
Roughly April  - October depending on year and weather.
Check out Put-N-Bay and kelleys island

I used to live in Perrysburg (grew up there). Great town and away from riff raff. Traffic eastward can get a little busy, not nothing crazy. You also have the option of the turnpike for a smooth hassle free commute (just don't speed,state police camp it). I would focus on Perrysburg if you want to be close to alot of stuff. Housing prices are higher and taxes are not the greatest . But that's what keeps it from becoming a "Toledo" TBH. If you cross the river into Maumee, you can find homes a bit cheaper, but the town is still nice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My searching has been heading towards the east, even out to Perrysburg. How is traffic in the morning heading away from Toledo? Looks like I could take 90 or 20 directly to Fremont for the towns you listed. Have also looked at a few of the downtown renovated warehouse loft type apartment buildings. I'm a single guy at the moment, so I think a lot of the houses in the good areas at my budget, 150-250K are just way more than I need. I'll PCS again in a few years, and would like to avoid getting more stuff just because I have 3 extra bedrooms ad a basement to fill.

Will look into them. I'd like to do more long range stuff, currently have only been going to a 300 yard range. Any 600+ ranges nearby?
View Quote
depending if you pass my stringent back ground check process I have a 750 yard range in my back yard... 15 min from PC.

Fremont has a nice Isaak Walton league that's super cheap to join if your looking for a play range. Right off of 53 just south of town.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I used to live in Perrysburg (grew up there). Great town and away from riff raff. Traffic eastward can get a little busy, not nothing crazy. You also have the option of the turnpike for a smooth hassle free commute (just don't speed,state police camp it). I would focus on Perrysburg if you want to be close to alot of stuff. Housing prices are higher and taxes are not the greatest . But that's what keeps it from becoming a "Toledo" TBH. If you cross the river into Maumee, you can find homes a bit cheaper, but the town is still nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that I'd enjoy Put-In-Bay, will be checking it out.

Good to know. I've made the river my western boundary. I know it's a straight shot between the two, but would like to keep my commute to 30 minutes or less.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
depending if you pass my stringent back ground check process I have a 750 yard range in my back yard... 15 min from PC.

Fremont has a nice Isaak Walton league that's super cheap to join if your looking for a play range. Right off of 53 just south of town.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I'll check them out, and shoot you a PM.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in Sandusky, Ohio about 25 minutes from Port Clinton . If I were you I would definitely look in Port Clinton over Fremont.  There's wanna be gangs and pillbillies all over in Fremont.  Welcome to Ohio ...
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Might be in your neck of the woods. House I'm looking at is up in Sandusky.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Feel free to ask me anything.   P.m. if that's better for you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#21]
We're just a bit east, let us know if you have questions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Home inspection went well, looks like I’ll be calling Sandusky home for the next three years. I’ll be on my way out there early next month.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Home inspection went well, looks like I’ll be calling Sandusky home for the next three years. I’ll be on my way out there early next month.
View Quote
Congrats.

Welcome to the Buckeye State
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Home inspection went well, looks like I'll be calling Sandusky home for the next three years. I'll be on my way out there early next month.
View Quote
Welcome to the City, we've been here just over 30 years now.
There's no "good side" or "bad side" of town just sketchy areas.
Year round weather isn't bad, lots of lake stuff to do and plenty of open road for riding.
My son and I are members at 4-county near Bellevue.
ECCL in Milan costs twice as much but has a much bigger facility.

ETA: good dodge on PC, the can get some serious may fly coverage. And I DO mean coverage!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, about 2,000 miles down. 360 more to go, and I’ll be in town tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, about 2,000 miles down. 360 more to go, and I’ll be in town tomorrow.
View Quote
Welcome. Hope you enjoy the area!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm off tomorrow! I'll wave as you go by.

ETA: If you need any AR tools, let me know. I have a pretty good set.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Welcome!

Shoot me an IM if you want a tour of the area or to throw some rounds down range on a weekend.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Welcome!

Shoot me an IM if you want a tour of the area or to throw some rounds down range on a weekend.
View Quote
Will do. Should be settled in after a week or two.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top