Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2022 1:14:31 PM EDT
This isn't a boo-hoo thread.  We've only been here for 2.5 years. Before that, the tax-everything state of Virginia.

Wife has been offered a job south of Ithaca for great $.  I'll do an internal transfer.  For our combined income, the NY State tax rate APPEARS to be 6.33% if we file jointly.

- What else do you get banged for in NY?
- What else do I need to know?
- Are winters similar to Pittsburgh winters?  (5.2 months of cold, dampness with clouds 20' above your head?)
- Are there storage locations in PA that are heated and have 24 hr guards that I can park my safe at?  If not, I'm smelling a great business opportunity.

Been reading the tacked threads.  Looks like I shouldn't have sold my Eagle Arms or stopsign logo ARs.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Winters vary. Last winter we were buried in snow. There's been barely any snow this year, and the cold settled in only recently.
If you have class 3 stuff and can afford it, buy a vacation house in PA to keep that stuff in.
The sun is sort of hit and miss around Ithaca. Lots of overcast days and rain. We're similar to the Pacific Northwest in that regard.
What interests do you have?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The countryside's nice, the fishing and hunting are good. Stay out of the city of Ithaca as much as possible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Handguns are illegal in NYS, doesn't matter who you are or what Licenses you have elsewhere, you cannot legally have a handgun here until...
Now keep that tid-bit until a little later on when clarifications can be made.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, we’re full.

(Just kidding. Had to say it, since us New Yorkers never get to post that Arfcom classic. )
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Price of freedom out ways any money the communist want to give you.. They will take it all back so pay might look great until they suck you in...  

Stay in texas unless your a liberal than please move to ny.. we need to contain the communist
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ARs aren't legal here, pre or post ban. Well arguably if they have a thorsden stock and are otherwise post ban they might still be illegal but no one seems to sell those anymore.

View Quote

Fk.  Thirst's tacked thread says pre and post ban matters....  Looks like I better take up fishing before I leave Texas.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Work-in-progress-NYS-Gun-Laws-Resource-and-FAQ-small-addition-12-15-2010-/9-307707/
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fk.  Thirst's tacked thread says pre and post ban matters....  Looks like I better take up fishing before I leave Texas.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Work-in-progress-NYS-Gun-Laws-Resource-and-FAQ-small-addition-12-15-2010-/9-307707/
View Quote

Very outdated information
You could bring a plain Jane Mini, a NY legal M1A or a Garand
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You can enjoy a new hobby like pc games ...

Learn to play Escape from Tarkov it should be called really escape from NYS.

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]
If one MUST move to Ithaca, stash your stuff out of state, hike the heck out of the area, and have a five year plan to leave or divorce.  

Do NOT have kids in NYS or you’re trapped.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Ithaca is a decent location, not too far from Watkins Glen, some very good vineyards and decent wines are in the area.
BTW, I'm impressed by Texas wines, I feel they are better than California.

Lots of hiking and out door sports year round.

You can't bring any handguns here
What you can't have

Handguns, (need NYS license) not good in Buffalo, or NYC.
Semi-Auto's, with detachable magazine - no features at all
Magazines, no magazines over 10rnd's (magazine itself is illegal)

what you can have
Mini 14 with no muzzle device, folding stock, or pistol grip
Browning BAR (no muzzle device)
Remington 7400 types
Garand (non detachable magazine)

Sorta the nutshell...

Think 1950's and before mainstream sporting firearms of the day and you'll be relatively safe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
If the money is that good, live in Sayer, PA and commute to Ithica...

I live in NY and can't wait to retire and get out of here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ithaca is a decent location, not too far from Watkins Glen, some very good vineyards and decent wines are in the area.

What you can't have

what you can have
Remington 7400 types

Sorta the nutshell...

Think 1950's and before mainstream sporting firearms of the day and you'll be relatively safe.
View Quote

Your correct about a NYS permit not being valid in NYS unless its been endorsed by NYPD or its a permit issued to a retired leo, but I've never heard that a NYS permit is not valid in Buffalo. Are you sure this is correct? If so could you tell us where we can verify that info?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Long time western NY resident that escaped about 6 years ago ( totally crazy to move in if you ask me) but I have plenty of friends still behind enemy lines and have never heard of a NY permit not being valid in Buffalo
NYC of course is a different animal all together

If you insist on moving the ar’s unless in state compliant configuration ( whatever that means the state won’t put anything in writing on what is ok or not)
No mags over 10 rounds ( limited exception for mags over 50 years old)
No rifles with assault features ( again limited exceptions for guns over 50 years old)
No pistols until you obtain a NY permit ( which the way New York does it with needing local character references on your application makes it near impossible until you are established for a period of years there)
All gun transfers have to go through an ffl, even if for example you stored pistols out side of NY and then obtained a NY permit, they would still have to be shipped and transferred through an Ffl
All pistols are registered to you via serial number.
Simply no sane gun owner would move there

In total honesty someone could offer me a half a million a year to move back and I could easily say no without a thought
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buffalo may have some bullshit unenforceable law. Albany claims you have to get permission of the police chief to carry there, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your correct about a NYS permit not being valid in NYS unless its been endorsed by NYPD or its a permit issued to a retired leo, but I've never heard that a NYS permit is not valid in Buffalo. Are you sure this is correct? If so could you tell us where we can verify that info?
Buffalo may have some bullshit unenforceable law. Albany claims you have to get permission of the police chief to carry there, lol.

Buffalo has no such law
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Ithaca is the asshole of NY state
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you can't have

what you can have
Remington 7400 types

Sorta the nutshell...

It's 100% valid in Buffalo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Ithaca is a dump.

The general area can be wonderful, like most of NY. NY is a naturally beautiful state.

Ithaca is in Central New York, which is known for boundless beauty during fair weather, and pure shit nothing when the whether is bad.

You referenced Pittsburgh, and as a grad of the finest institution that Jonas Salk ever walked by...winters are much better than Pittsburgh. Even shitholes like Ithaca freeze, and you can run a snowmobile over them for something to do. In my opinion, its much better than the constant temp changes of Pitt. That being said, you'll drive by a lot of despair....such is CNY.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Guess my $#!+ is getting stored in Ohio at my folks place.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You may not agree with it's politics, but there are a lot worse places in the state that deserve that title more than Ithaca does
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You may not agree with it's politics, but there are a lot worse places in the state that deserve that title more than Ithaca does
View Quote
Utica?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is true:

Utica

Jamestown

Lockport

Better yet….. Dunkirk
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Utica?
View Quote

NYC can be smelled from miles away if you make the mistake of driving in that direction of the state
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

NYC can be smelled from miles away if you make the mistake of driving in that direction of the state
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Utica?

I haven’t been to NYC in over 20 years

I think I would self combust
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In total honesty someone could offer me a half a million a year to move back and I could easily say no without a thought
View Quote
About 15 years ago I was offered a job in or near NYC.
I replied that they could offer me $150,000 and I wouldn't take the job.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#28]
@Mugzilla
What part of Texas and what do you have for sale now after reading this thread?  

The money is just not worth it.

Even taking guns out of the equation there are so many other things about living in NY that make it intolerable.  

The general attitude of the public.
The constant speed traps on the highways.
Property tax.  
Weather.  
Cost of gas.
Cost of electricity.
Cost of produce.  
No fun allowed.

I say all this as someone from NY that left years ago.
I can’t imagine it has gotten any better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hard to say as I am pretty close to the east though being on the northern coast we get a lot of sea breeze. I will grant you that back in the 1970's, there was indeed a smell from all the smog. I was still a kid then and that is one of the memorable things I remember when I would stay with my maternal grandparents in Queens. Going outside on a warm summer morning and there was a stinky haze which I did not have back home to the east about 20 miles away. Hard to believe we put up with that crap for so long. I thank the catalytic converter for fixing a lot of that.

I always get a kick out of the opening of the first season of Barney Miller. This scene is how I remember NYC so much as a child (the gritty haze in the middle of the day in summer):

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hard to say as I am pretty close to the east though being on the northern coast we get a lot of sea breeze. I will grant you that back in the 1970's, there was indeed a smell from all the smog. I was still a kid then and that is one of the memorable things I remember when I would stay with my maternal grandparents in Queens. Going outside on a warm summer morning and there was a stinky haze which I did not have back home to the east about 20 miles away. Hard to believe we put up with that crap for so long. I thank the catalytic converter for fixing a lot of that.

I always get a kick out of the opening of the first season of Barney Miller. This scene is how I remember NYC so much as a child (the gritty haze in the middle of the day in summer):

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cG5cSxT7ZIw/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote

I haven't been down there in a handful of years now, but every time I get close to that place the stench is evident
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]
If possible you should look at living in Pa and commuting
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
..., maybe finding a snake you posted a picture of on instagram that your kids came home and put in an old aquarium
View Quote

What did you name the snake?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dog piss & garbage... The place is a dump.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Do yourself a huuuuge favor and stay in Free America, no good can come from moving here no matter what they offer you!  Understand that this is the East Germany of the United States before the Berlin Wall came down.  I implore you not to subject yourself and your family to this Communist enclave.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do yourself a huuuuge favor and stay in Free America, no good can come from moving here no matter what they offer you!  Understand that this is the East Germany of the United States before the Berlin Wall came down.  I implore you not to subject yourself and your family to this Communist enclave.
View Quote

….. the wall did come down, eventually…

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 5:29:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
...refusing to raise the weight limit on ATVs on public land, refusing to change the width on crossbows-those are both antiquated laws now that side by side ATVs are popular and faster better crossbows are narrower-but why loosen any law? You might have more people using their SxS atvs when some communist cat ladies want to waddle up on a hiking trail for the one weekend they leave NYC area to go for a .75 walk in the woods.

New York is like soviet east germany, plenty of people love the central committee and don't really do any work anyway so why not get a bullshit state job and go for a hike among the abandoned farms? I
View Quote

The ATV and crossbow issues probably deserve a revisit, but sound like niche issues that suffer from a lack of support and momentum to get any changes made. I think that the state needs to revisit a lot of things in the laws, but every time the leadership shows any interest in doing so they mess it up badly, like they did with bail reform.

I'm not sure what trails the fat ladies and ATVs are sharing. Sounds like more of a downstate problem,or downstate people calling any dirt road a "trail".

The farms were bought up in the Depression and turned into state forests. Long before I was born. Am I supposed to boycott those natural resources in some form of delayed rage because the state and feds bought up marginal farming land nearly a century ago and returned it to woodlands? I would think that the only people who might be enraged are the long-dead settlers who cleared the land originally
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Look into property and school tax for the area you're looking to move to compared with where you are in Texas. When I started doing the math for a 30yr mortgage on a 100k house I would've payed 90k in property taxes over the course of the mortgage.

So I bought a house in Missouri. I have lots of great friends in NY, it wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for those running the show. WNY is beautiful. Hope you like driving in snow, that's one thing I miss.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Did you look at the potential property taxes you'll owe if you buy a house. Gonna be high.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I've looked in to all of these things.

I dont want to talk about it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't move into Tompkins county, or any county with a larger liberal city at its core.  Since your pistol permits go thru whatever county you live in, try to pick a county that's more 2A friendly.  I'm in Ontario, the clerks are usually happy to see someone buy a gun.    Usually it's about an hour (with travel) to pick up my gun after the FFL emails me the receipt.

As far as long guns.  I see a LOT of don't ask, don't tell around here.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Look into property and school tax for the area you're looking to move to compared with where you are in Texas. When I started doing the math for a 30yr mortgage on a 100k house I would've payed 90k in property taxes over the course of the mortgage.

So I bought a house in Missouri. I have lots of great friends in NY, it wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for those running the show. WNY is beautiful. Hope you like driving in snow, that's one thing I miss.
View Quote
Paid 77k for our house, and the taxes will match that about 22-23 years in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't move into Tompkins county, or any county with a larger liberal city at its core.  Since your pistol permits go thru whatever county you live in, try to pick a county that's more 2A friendly.  I'm in Ontario, the clerks are usually happy to see someone buy a gun.    Usually it's about an hour (with travel) to pick up my gun after the FFL emails me the receipt.

As far as long guns.  I see a LOT of don't ask, don't tell around here.  
View Quote

It's going to take OP a while to even get a permit issued because he won't have four local references who've known him for a year.
But if that downstate assembly woman has her way, all of upstates unrestricted permits will be glorified residence permits that won't allow you to carry 99%of the places a normal upstate person carries
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's going to take OP a while to even get a permit issued because he won't have four local references who've known him for a year.
But if that downstate assembly woman has her way, all of upstates unrestricted permits will be glorified residence permits that won't allow you to carry 99%of the places a normal upstate person carries
View Quote
Concealed is concealed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top