Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2020 1:08:17 AM EDT
Hi all,

Well, VA and it’s tyrannical Government are a shit show and I’ve decided I’ve had enough. As soon as the November elections went sideways and the bills started rolling in, my wife applied to a radiology tech program in Nashville and got accepted. I work from home so we are outta here.  House goes on the market beginning of May and it’ll sell quick (all the comps our agent pulled sold in under a week)

So I have one really important question I’m trying to find an answer to and having difficulty...we’re looking at homes within an hour of the hospital in downtown Nashville and I really want to be able to shoot on my property, handgun mostly (I’m an avid USPSA competitor).  We’re looking at houses on 7+ acres and I’ll construct a proper 3-sided bay/berm.

Anybody know what the laws are in the surrounding areas regarding firearms discharge on private property?  Is it best to just call county law enforcement with an address an ask?

We’ve been stuck in suburban hell for 21 years.  Time for some rural living...

Thanks guys for any advice you may have.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:13:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Moving from VA to Nashville proper may not be the improvement you are seeking, seriously. Nashville has been rapidly becoming much more liberal than the rest of the state.

With the 1 hour request, that depends on the time of day.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Wilson County just passed a 2a sanctuary resolution.  You can catch I-40 and get to town.  Still some property out in the county.  The further from Nashville, the cheaper.  I worked healthcare for a several years.  Do a 3 day on in a row and it is tolerable.  But you should come and stay for a while before you buy.  Traffic at 8 on Tues is different than 8 on a Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
In addition to time of day (and which day), which hospital is also going to be a factor in determining where you can do a one hour commute and be in a rural area.  Vanderbilt, Baptist, and St Thomas are going to be a longer commute for someone living east of Nashville, for example.  On the other hand, someone working at St Thomas is going to already be west of the '440 loop' and that much farther ahead of the game, IF they live west of Nashville.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In addition to time of day (and which day), which hospital is also going to be a factor in determining where you can do a one hour commute and be in a rural area.  Vanderbilt, Baptist, and St Thomas are going to be a longer commute for someone living east of Nashville, for example.  On the other hand, someone working at St Thomas is going to already be west of the '440 loop' and that much farther ahead of the game, IF they live west of Nashville.
View Quote
This is really good advice.  The infrastructure in the city is poor.  Figuring out the direction to “approach” from will make a difference in the city leg of the commute.

I live in East Nashville and have a 36 minute commute to drive 10 miles south of me.  The traffic and roads are awful so I just started working from home.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Another idea, Cookeville has some good hospitals.  Live between Cookeville and Nashville.  Have access to BNA and not the traffic.  Cheaper living too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  Our budget is ~$700k or under.  We’ve found some nice places but are unsure about the laws and really want to know what’s allowed before we start narrowing down the selection.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#8]
We’re looking at a place in Joelton up 24 and one north of Mt Juliet up near the lake.

Good?  Bad?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Ironhandjohn has a place he's selling that should fit your bill. I would avoid anything in Metro/Davidson County/Nashville if you want to shoot. A lot is going to depend on your budget. The real problem is one hour from the downtown hospitals won't get you to the county line during rush hour.
View Quote
Thanks. Our budget is ~$700k or under. We’ve found some nice places but are unsure about the laws and really want to know what’s allowed before we start narrowing down the selection
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We’re looking at a place in Joelton up 24 and one north of Mt Juliet up near the lake.

Good?  Bad?
View Quote
If my memory isn't off, there are two youtubers that mainly do videos from ranges in their backyards, in that general area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hickock45 comes to mind. He's not in any city limits. OP most all city's in TN ban shooting on your property. Most county jurisdictions will allow it as long as you are safe about it and not in the middle of a subdivision.
Look carefully. A coworker of mine about got hemmed up several years ago after his farm where he shot safely for years was annexed into the city.
View Quote
I think I read somewhere that the guy that does .22 reviews is also in that general area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think I read somewhere that the guy that does .22 reviews is also in that general area.
View Quote
That is 22plinkster. A guy I work with is his cameraman.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]
My friend shoots on his land (12-13 acres) in Leipers Fork. If this isn't allowed, he hasn't heard anything about it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good?  Bad?
View Quote
Chateau IronHand is just over the county line from Joelton and currently for sale.

Check your PMs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Our budget is ~$700k or under.  We’ve found some nice places but are unsure about the laws and really want to know what’s allowed before we start narrowing down the selection.
View Quote
Only Nashville/Davidson Co really has substantial laws on discharging firearms. The satellite counties may have on the books something about "not within x-hundred feet of an occupied dwelling" or some such.

The counties you should be looking at based on land prices and availability are (in no order) Robertson, Cheatham, Maury and Dickson.

Williamson Co is THE place to live in TN, IMO. However, land is insanely high there & there may be more noise restrictions than the other counties due to the affluent residents whom don't wish to be bothered by gun fire.

Rush hour traffic on the Nashville interstates is just insane these days. *I* would be looking at a hospital in one of the before mentioned counties, even if there's an income hit. Murfreesboro has a hospital that would be a nice choice due to the possibility of living over in Cannon Co or Bedford Co.

Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good?  Bad?
View Quote
There's only two ways into or out of Mt. Juliet: Lebanon Road & I-40. When one of those are FUBAR'd , traffic is NOT going to be kind.

Joelton does offer a couple more options but it depends on which county your part of Joelton it is in, IMO. That's kind of a catch-all name for a general area, IMO.

I've got a REALLY good real estate friend I can hook you up with. She's smart as a whip & damn good at her job too. Shoot me an IM if you want her info.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There's only two ways into or out of Mt. Juliet: Lebanon Road & I-40. When one of those are FUBAR'd , traffic is NOT going to be kind.

Joelton does offer a couple more options but it depends on which county your part of Joelton it is in, IMO. That's kind of a catch-all name for a general area, IMO.

I've got a REALLY good real estate friend I can hook you up with. She's smart as a whip & damn good at her job too. Shoot me an IM if you want her info.
View Quote
Thanks.  We have a Realtor doing searches for us right now but shes based out of Knoxville/Maryville, so she can’t scout anything for us physically without a 6-ish hour drive.

I’ll keep you in mnd as we get closer.  I know East Nashville and Mt. Juliet just got flattened and I hope all of you guys are ok out there.

Appreciate all the info.

If push comes to shove, we may buy a house on a slightly smaller property and then just buy land further out to shoot on.   Not my preference but if it has to be....
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I live up I-24 just SE of Clarksville (Clarksville is NW of Nashville).  It takes me 40 minutes to get into Nashville unless it’s really bad traffic.

Robertson County is good for land and shooting.  Sounds like schools aren’t an issue so you’ll be fine there or Cheatham County.

Good luck.

ETA: To be fair, I commute the opposite way so anytime I go to Nashville it’s a deliberate effort to avoid rush hour.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP why do you have a realtor from Knoxville searching Nashville for you? That's like hiring one from Roanoke to look in Alexandria for you. There are plenty of realtors in Nashville. And Nashville isn't 6 hours from Knoxville unless you're leaving right after a UT game.
View Quote
Just a guess here, but I bet he meant round trip to Nashville and back.

I do agree with you about the realtor, find one in Nashville.

ETA: I can't believe no one has suggested this to OP

https://images.app.goo.gl/aqns7WAtVRvtrwae7
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Find anything yet?

My wife is a broker and I have lived in the area since the 70s and know it well.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
General services district in Davidson county you can shot as much as you want during daylight hours.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I loved my time in Murfreesboro during college, but that place sure has grown in the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I did.  Unless something goes sideways we’ll be in McMinnville in a beautiful home on 22 acres.  It’s gonna be awesome!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bassackwards:
Find anything yet?

My wife is a broker and I have lived in the area since the 70s and know it well.

View Quote

I did.  Unless something goes sideways we’ll be in McMinnville in a beautiful home on 22 acres.  It’s gonna be awesome!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kcobean:

I did.  Unless something goes sideways we’ll be in McMinnville in a beautiful home on 22 acres.  It’s gonna be awesome!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Find anything yet?

My wife is a broker and I have lived in the area since the 70s and know it well.

I did.  Unless something goes sideways we’ll be in McMinnville in a beautiful home on 22 acres.  It’s gonna be awesome!

The 'Tall Girl'(oldest daughter) lives outside Morrison with her family, you'll love it out there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:38:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:

God's country
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:
Find anything yet?

The 'Tall Girl'(oldest daughter) lives outside Morrison with her family, you'll love it out there.

God's country

Unless god has Sprint as his cellphone provider.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I did.  Unless something goes sideways we'll be in McMinnville in a beautiful home on 22 acres.  It's gonna be awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find anything yet?

My wife is a broker and I have lived in the area since the 70s and know it well.

I did.  Unless something goes sideways we'll be in McMinnville in a beautiful home on 22 acres.  It's gonna be awesome!
That is not what I would consider the Nashville area. That is at least 1.5 hours out at peak times
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#32]
That is not what I would consider the Nashville area. That is at least 1.5 hours out at peak times
View All Quotes
Find anything yet?

I did.  Unless something goes sideways we'll be in McMinnville in a beautiful home on 22 acres.  It's gonna be awesome!
That is not what I would consider the Nashville area. That is at least 1.5 hours out at peak times

Add an hour during peak times. Oldest Daughter's little homestead is in the woods outside of Morrison and Woodbury, and it takes 1.5 hours to get there from west Nashville on a Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

Add an hour during peak times. Oldest Daughter's little homestead is in the woods outside of Morrison and Woodbury, and it takes 1.5 hours to get there from west Nashville on a Saturday morning.
View Quote

My wife will be at her destination in Nashville by 7:30 AM and usually heading out by 3:00 or 4:00 PM.   We come from the land of shitty traffic, so 1:30 for a couple of years while she's knocking out her schooling is no big deal.  The plan is for her to work closer (Murfreesboro or similar) after that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#34]
The area NW of Nashville, Cheatham, Robertson, and Montgomery counties, is the least developed part or the metro area.  There is still plenty of land for sale at reasonable prices.  The attitude of the population is mostly live and let live.  The commute to Nashville is mainly on I-24, but there are alternate routes in case of backups.  Commute times are about 1hr from Clarksville, 45 minutes with light traffic.  Crime is generally very low, except for Clarksville and Springfield.

It's not uncommon to hear gunfire during the day outside the few cities in these counties, with no one paying any mind to it.

-Rando
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top