Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2018 10:21:03 AM EDT
Hello everyone, I am soon to be moving to Indiana with my American wife and 2 kids, very much looking forward to it and am sure you will all be nice, just a little background. Ive lived in the UK all my life, born and raised and love all things American. I was a Police Officer here in the UK and will be looking for work when I get here, I am gunna stay with my wife's parents for the time being to get used to American culture, but I dont think ill have much of an issue!

Firearm wise I have always had a love for firearms even tho so many here consider that to be "weird" I dont care! I have shot several AR15's over the years and will probably get one when I get there and naturally am looking for the best AR15 deal, I remember the LWRC DI a while back for under a $1K, so hopefully anyone reading this might find something similar, anyway thanks for reading!

I am going to be moving initially to Marion, Id love to say hi to anyone when I get there

Dave
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you said Marion, so I'm assuming it's the city of Marion but there is Marion county as well which is where Indianapolis is at.  If you happened to mean Marion County it will be a big difference than the city of Marion.

Are you looking for citizenship?  Not sure how it all works if not a citizen, but Indiana has some of the best gun laws in the country.

Try to make it down to the southern part of the state if you want beautiful scenery .... northern is flat and farm land, south is rocky with hills and hollers
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah its the City, sorry forgot there was a county too named it aswell, ive been to Marion City 3 times and I quite like it, but eventually plan on moving to the west side of Indy.

Dave

Edit: yes I am looking for citizenship in around 3 years when I can apply
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like you can purchase a firearm if you're a resident (not citizen) after a certain amount of time, but I know nothing about it.

Indiana hometown forum isn't too active so you probably won't get a lot of traffic, but welcome :) happy to welcome anyone that supports the 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome, you're going to enjoy it here.  You can get a decent AR from $500 on up, depending on what you're looking for.  If you're going to be here in time for the Indy 1500 later this week, it's a mind-boggling display of everything firearm-related that you can imagine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I would have posted in another sub forum but didn't want to get told off, ill be here in around a months time. AR wise I am gunna be using it for range practice, and just general use and cant decide whether to go on the cheaper side (PSA) or the more expensive (LMT, Noveske, KAC) route.

Ill miss the 1500 but hopefully will be there next year! in terms of ownership I think I can pretty much own a AR15 but not so sure how easy it is for a pistol, either way I can wait.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem on the 1500, they happen 4-5 times a year.  And there are other shows in Kokomo.  When I do get around to going to one I don't generally buy much, but it sure is fun to see all the toys.

Tough call on where to land on the quality spectrum.  I've tended toward rifles that are good enough to trust in an emergency, and reasonably accurate, but not necessarily top-of-the-line.  Then I take the savings and start looking for the next one!  There are a lot of decent options out there, and shopping around is half the fun.

I won't pretend to know much about non-citizens & firearms, so you'll want to get your advice from someone besides me, but Indiana treats handguns and long guns the same.  If you can legally own one you can legally own the other.  To actually carry a handgun concealed you need a license, and Indiana is "shall-issue".  If for some reason it takes a while before you can get a carry license, when you can purchase guns you can own a pistol (or several) for home and range use.  I think you'll enjoy it here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you considering continuing your career in Law Enforcement.   There will be differences between UK and US but dealing with people effectively is still the most common function of being a Police Officer.    I think many agencies would be interested in your prior experience being a Police Officer.   With the good economy it gets difficult to recruit qualified applicants.    I hope you enjoy Indiana and the midwest.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have posted in another sub forum but didn't want to get told off, ill be here in around a months time. AR wise I am gunna be using it for range practice, and just general use and cant decide whether to go on the cheaper side (PSA) or the more expensive (LMT, Noveske, KAC) route.

Ill miss the 1500 but hopefully will be there next year! in terms of ownership I think I can pretty much own a AR15 but not so sure how easy it is for a pistol, either way I can wait.

Dave
View Quote
You really aren’t missing anything at the 1500.
It’s all peoples collections that you are gonna pay a premium to buy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies, I am a big 2A and am sure I will settle in fine in Indiana, in terms on law enforcement I'm not sure of the legality of me becoming a police officer since I am not a citizen, although I have read (forget where) that some forces will employ green card holders for the more rough areas of cities where they are desperate for officers. With that I'm not so sure I wanna do that, along with the fact that Policing over here is different to how you guys do it, who knows! I am easy and will do anything for the time being.

I've been reading Arfcom for literally years and cant wait to actually join in with the gun talk!

Dave
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to have you here.  I’m down in Evansville at the far south west corner of the state.  
I hope you are prepared for heat and humidity in the summer time,  I have heard that it’s difficult for folks from the UK.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glad to have you here.  I’m down in Evansville at the far south west corner of the state.  
I hope you are prepared for heat and humidity in the summer time,  I have heard that it’s difficult for folks from the UK.
View Quote
Good point on the weather.... you'll experience all extremes in Indiana.  100°F (don't know C ha) and humid as hell, then a few months later 30° and 12" (again inches not cm :D) of snow . Can get a lot colder but typically don't get a lot of snow if too cold.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to America and thank you for following our laws regarding immigration.

Indiana is very hot and humid. The air quality is poor in the southern portion of the state.

The people are rude around Evansville.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome!  I'm from over the border in Michigan, however it's just as easy where I am to to shop in Indiana as it is in Michigan.  If you're ever up this way, we have several wineries and micro breweries that do a good job.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome.  Indiana is a great place to raise kids.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably going to get one AR? ha! That's hilarious. Nobody owns just one AR.

You will love your expanded firearm rights. You will be an excellent source for information on what happens when people take their freedoms for granted. The firearm owning community has been very welcoming to me. I shoot tournaments in Indiana and sometimes take a little grief for being from Michigan, but it's all in good fun.

Welcome to the USA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to Indiana. I'm just outside of the Indianapolis loop, on the southeast side (near Shelbyville).

It's hot, it's muggy, it's cold in the winter. Overall, it's great here. If you're in the area or looking for someone to shoot with, drop me a line. I'll throw a couple of Garands, an AR and some pistols in the car and drive up your way.

Again, welcome and enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome Feel free to complain about the weather, watch your slang
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been in Indiana since the 18th now and I am loving it! Chic fil a is just amazing to say the least! The kids are loving it and I have to say the freedoms here feel kinda strange, in a good way! Culture is very different but everyone so far is nice and friendly, looking forward to getting meet some people, I’ve already had several folk ask about my accent

Dave
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome to Indiana!  Looks like you're just in time for some nice fall weather.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol yeah "going out back to burn a fag" means something way worse here.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to Indiana, sir! I hope you can find the time to make it to the knob creek machinegun shoot in Kentucky next month. You'll never miss life in the U.K. after experiencing it!
http://www.knobcreekrange.com/events/featured-events/machine-gun-shoot
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to Indiana and Marion, send me an IM if you interested in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey there, welcome.

I'm an Ex-Pat from West London. Moved here in 96, started in Richmond In(Wayne County), moved to West Alex(Alexandria) Oh(Preble County) and have lived in Xenia Oh(Greene County) for over 18yrs now.

My Grandfather was a GI based in the UK during WW2, rear gunner in the B17s. Long story short, when he came back to the States, he married, not to my Grandmother, so I have family in Richmond and the surrounding area.

I love it over here, always have and became a citizen in 05, after being here on a Green card just shy of 9yrs.

I have fallen in with a great bunch of guys, both in Oh and In, from current LE, former Military and  Class III owners, so it is easy to fuel the habit.

As mentioned above, the machine gun shoot at Knob Creek is a great experience and first went in 04 and have gone on and off over the years. They run the 2nd weekend of April and October and are well worth going to.

If you like, shoot me an im or you can email me at sheldongatland[AT]hotmail.com.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#25]
If you're moving to the city of marion, you're gonna need a gun. It's getting crazy around this area.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You really aren’t missing anything at the 1500.
It’s all peoples collections that you are gonna pay a premium to buy.
View Quote
+parking
+admission
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey Dave, just checking in to see how things are going for you in our beautiful State of Indiana.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#28]
how have things be working out for you since the move a few months back?  Able to look into the LEO as a non-citizen?  Indianapolis is nice, and not SUPER far from Marion...but not close either.  You could look to move to Fishers, a lot of up and coming area for IT and what not.  It is pretty close to downtown indy as well (maybe 25 mins?)
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey all,

its all being going good, since october of 2018 I have been working for a water treatment company based in Zionsville on the Northwest side of Indy and also live on the west side of Indy too which I am really enjoying apart from living in an Apartment with stupid selfish neighbours.

If anybody wants to meet me then can just buy a softener and Reverse Osmosis and you'll more than likley meet me

I just built my first AR pistol which i am really pleased, loving the freedom, may God bless this land for many more centuries to come
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad to hear that you're adjusting well.

Have you found a church yet?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Not found a church yet that matches my beliefs but have tried several so far with varying degress of "luck"
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I hope you find what you are looking for.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you beliefs?  You are welcome to IM if you wish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top