Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2021 11:03:12 AM EDT
What do I need to know?

Our #1 choice is to live off post if the housing market cools off.

I'll have one son in College (Freshman) and two sons in High School.  

I'll be quite busy in my new job but still feel like living off post is the way to go.  

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

MPNelson81
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:32:10 PM EDT
i really like colorado springs after doing hard time there for work.

would move there in a heartbeat.

very beautiful.

rudy's BBQ and lots of good looking military women.  

weather is bipolar and will try to kill you several times a day whilst working outside.

that's all i got.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/12/2021 3:15:13 PM EDT by cavsct1983]
Hard to say without knowing what your rank is to gauge BAH, and what the housing market would be doing by that point, and if the DoD BAH keeps up with local costs.

As it is right now, if you are at least a SFC or MAJ with dependents you are looking at around 2000-2200ish/mo for BAH. This puts you into some livable options within a reasonable driving distance to Carson.

I would recommend living off post unless you decide you NEED to live on post.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:24:57 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cavsct1983:
Hard to say without knowing what your rank is to gauge BAH, and what the housing market would be doing by that point, and if the DoD BAH keeps up with local costs.

As it is right now, if you are at least a SFC or MAJ with dependents you are looking at around 2000-2200ish/mo for BAH. This puts you into some livable options within a reasonable driving distance to Carson.

I would recommend living off post unless you decide you NEED to live on post.

View Quote

Thanks... I am a LTC/O5 w/ dependents.  My BAH right now is $2306 but with housing prices, cash offers, etc. the market seems hard to get into.  Just my $.02 as I sit here in Germany!

Thanks again.

MPNelson81
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:40:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mpnelson81:

Thanks... I am a LTC/O5 w/ dependents.  My BAH right now is $2306 but with housing prices, cash offers, etc. the market seems hard to get into.  Just my $.02 as I sit here in Germany!

Thanks again.

MPNelson81
View Quote

Sir,

I think you will be fine to rent unless there's a huge jump before DoD catches up for BAH vs local costs.

Buying will be more of an issue. If you plan to retire here and make a go in the DoD contract or .gov civilian sectors, you'll probably want to start saving now for making any offers more compelling.

But, the market may crash a bit and totally alleviate your worries! :D
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:39:01 AM EDT

Thanks again.

MPNelson81
View Quote
i'd stay in germany.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:53:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cavsct1983:

Sir,

I think you will be fine to rent unless there's a huge jump before DoD catches up for BAH vs local costs.

Buying will be more of an issue. If you plan to retire here and make a go in the DoD contract or .gov civilian sectors, you'll probably want to start saving now for making any offers more compelling.

But, the market may crash a bit and totally alleviate your worries! :D
View Quote

Thanks for the insight... and please don't feel the need to address me as Sir!  I try to keep a low profile (job vs. personal life separate) on here as much as possible.

I have my fingers crossed that there is some sort of cool down/crash so I can buy the dip!  We plan on staying there thru BN Command and then put in a high school stabilization waiver to get a third year and allow my middle son to graduate high school.  There are many variables at play but I want to go into this as well informed as possible.

Thanks,

MPNelson81
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:55:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i'd stay in germany.
View Quote

By the time I leave here I'll have another 4 year tour under my belt (8 years total in Germany with a 15-month trip to the sandbox in there).  We like it here but we've been locked down since November and we are looking forward to experiencing a bit of freedom again!  

MPNelson81
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:45:41 AM EDT

By the time I leave here I'll have another 4 year tour under my belt (8 years total in Germany with a 15-month trip to the sandbox in there).  We like it here but we've been locked down since November and we are looking forward to experiencing a bit of freedom again!  

MPNelson81
View Quote
merica isn't free anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:50:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
merica isn't free anymore.
View Quote

Don't crush my hopes and dreams!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:11:53 PM EDT
The O-5 housing ain’t terrible on base, the rest is kinda shitty. I’ve been at Carson for most of my career.  Do you prefer new build, in new planned community or older house, with maybe some fixing up needed?  Hit me up on IM and we can exchange emails.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:11:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kooterthegoat:
The O-5 housing ain’t terrible on base, the rest is kinda shitty. I’ve been at Carson for most of my career.  Do you prefer new build, in new planned community or older house, with maybe some fixing up needed?  Hit me up on IM and we can exchange emails.
View Quote

IM sent.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:19:45 AM EDT
Husband is currently stationed at Carson.  We were able to find a nice rental in a good subdivision for E5 Bah.  It took a lot of internet searching on my part but it wasn’t impossible.   We chose not to buy because we weren’t sure how long husband would be stationed here.  On post housing here has a pretty bad reputation, but I don’t have any personal experience with it.  My husband enjoys living off post to get a little separation from work.

There are a few major subdivisions that are pretty popular and close to base.  Let me know if you want any info.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:35:40 PM EDT
I'm over here on the east side of the springs about 15-20 minutes away from Carson.  There's some nice rentals coming available in the 80951 zip code.  If you need someone to scout areas for you, please let me know
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:24:26 AM EDT
Housing market is hot right now, as I am undoubtedly sure you have seen.  I am in the Falcon area (20 minutes shot to Carson).  If you are looking to buy, housing market in the 300k to 425k are off the market before they are on sadly.  As for rentals its a crap shoot, too far east and good chance it was a marijuana grow and has black mold covering the basement.  In town you'll pay for the convenience of being "in-town".  Banning Lewis Ranch is a cozy little HOA development with a school, rec center.  Back to the Falcon area, call it the burbs if you will.  Lots of housing, not a lot of infrastructure unless you need tires (Im not kidding like 4 new tire places in the last two years), a Walmart, Safeway, and soon to be a King Soopers (Kroger).  Sweet spot to be, easy commute down south to Carson and you get away at the end of the day.

Ill repeat what was said above if you need someone to scout let me know.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.