Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2021 1:18:18 PM EDT
We will be moving down to FL (around Cape Coral area) in just a few weeks and I am looking into whole house solutions for water purification.  I want to be able to drink out of the tap and have the shower water not stink.

Any input on this?   Is reverse osmosis the way to go or do you suggest something different?

I will be getting a FL CCW permit when I arrive this shouldn't be too bad should it?

Thanks for any and all information for a newbie moving to FL.  Not just on this topic but anything else we should know.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have well water than ro is your best option, you can't do ro on city water because it takes approximately 6 gallons of raw water to make 1 gallon of treated. The best guy in my opinion is water medic (239) 541-2581 . For ccw get a hold of lee co tax collectors office and schedule  an appointment to get the electronic fingerprint and application done that's the simplest way unless you have a different states ccw already your probably going to take a ccw class shoot center cape coral or shoot straight Ft. Myers has classes all the time probably around $50.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure you want Cape Coral ?
We've been here since '04.  Looking to leave within the next 2 years.

If you insist on coming to this xxxxx
I mean here, I can give you this advice.
If you're on well water, an R/O system may be for you.  We just used the system that came with the house.  We bought bottled water for drinking.
If you will be on city water, a good under the sink filter would be fine.
We just use a Britta pitcher, and keep it in the fridge.
CCW.  Shoot Center on DelPrado has the best course.  Everything else is done at the Lee County tax collector.
Stay away from anything on fresh water canals ( I've been running the city canal maintenance crew for 8 years).  The water is full of run off from fertilizer.  I wouldn't eat fish from them on a bet.  

One question.  Have you been here through the summer ?
Have you driven DelPrado or Vets ?  During snow bird season ?
There are 200k people here.  Not what it was when we mover here in '04.  There were 82k then.
Loved it then.  Hate it now.
Anyway, good luck ?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have well water than ro is your best option, you can't do ro on city water because it takes approximately 6 gallons of raw water to make 1 gallon of treated. The best guy in my opinion is water medic (239) 541-2581 . For ccw get a hold of lee co tax collectors office and schedule  an appointment to get the electronic fingerprint and application done that's the simplest way unless you have a different states ccw already your probably going to take a ccw class shoot center cape coral or shoot straight Ft. Myers has classes all the time probably around $50.
View Quote
I have Colorado CCW at this time.   That should help you think?  Do I still have to take a class do you know?

Thanks man.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you sure you want Cape Coral ?
We've been here since '04.  Looking to leave within the next 2 years.

If you insist on coming to this xxxxx
I mean here, I can give you this advice.
If you're on well water, an R/O system may be for you.  We just used the system that came with the house.  We bought bottled water for drinking.
If you will be on city water, a good under the sink filter would be fine.
We just use a Britta pitcher, and keep it in the fridge.
CCW.  Shoot Center on DelPrado has the best course.  Everything else is done at the Lee County tax collector.
Stay away from anything on fresh water canals ( I've been running the city canal maintenance crew for 8 years).  The water is full of run off from fertilizer.  I wouldn't eat fish from them on a bet.  

One question.  Have you been here through the summer ?
Have you driven DelPrado or Vets ?  During snow bird season ?
There are 200k people here.  Not what it was when we mover here in '04.  There were 82k then.
Loved it then.  Hate it now.
Anyway, good luck ?
View Quote
We will be moving more North up towards Punta Gorda.  I said Cape Coral because I figured it would be more well known.

Thanks for the info on the water.  That is all good stuff to know.  Probably a under sink R/O will be the way I have to go then.

Never been there through a summer.  I am not looking forward to the humidity but oh well.  It is better than snow IMHO.  
I am very much a home body or out on the water fishing so not traveling during douche bag season is fine with me.  I just want to relax and fish.
Hopefully the Colorado ccw counts for something and I don't have to take a stupid class.  

Going to have to find a boat as well at some point.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have Colorado CCW at this time.   That should help you think?  Do I still have to take a class do you know?

Thanks man.

View Quote

Really not sure if that is all you would need to get a Fl. Maybe send an email to Fl. carry and see if they could steer you in the way of a correct answer. Sent a pm to you about a fishing boat i have for sale.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I will do that.  

Unfortunately I don't see a PM.   Hummmm.

ETA: my inbox was full.  It is fixed now.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure if it applies to you, but Florida wiaves the class if you are a military veteran. Just need a copy of your DD214.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#8]
All you need is proof of a safety course. I used my hunter safety course I took in the 70's.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We will be moving more North up towards Punta Gorda.  I said Cape Coral because I figured it would be more well known.

Thanks for the info on the water.  That is all good stuff to know.  Probably a under sink R/O will be the way I have to go then.

Never been there through a summer.  I am not looking forward to the humidity but oh well.  It is better than snow IMHO.  
I am very much a home body or out on the water fishing so not traveling during douche bag season is fine with me.  I just want to relax and fish.
Hopefully the Colorado ccw counts for something and I don't have to take a stupid class.  

Going to have to find a boat as well at some point.
View Quote

Punta Gorda, IMHO, is the better choice.  It has more of a small town vibe.
They have an "old school" style gun show at the Charlotte County Fairgrounds.  A lot of private sales.
Check out Fishermans' Village.  It's a kinda tourist trap, but there are some cool stores.  They have food and bars too.

Heat is definitely better than snow.  IDK if it's me getting older, or that global warming thing.  If there's any truth to it.  I just can't take the extreme heat and humidity more.
Get your yard work done before noon.  The mid day sun is, well, you'll see.
Good luck with the move.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Just moved here in January.  But I'm up on the panhandle by Pensacola. Some things that might help. The pay here is no where near to what your use to making. It works out, but you will be shocked at first. People here cant drive for crap, and I came from the bay area. You will be amazed at this. Sir and ma'am are proper to use when talking to people. Now for the good things... gas is cheap. People here are friendly and will help you because its the right thing to do, you should also help them in return. The guy next door, when I first moved in for instance.  Im out trimming overhanging branches on our property over the road. He drives by waves, wave back. 10 minutes later he pulls up jumps out his truck with a gas pole saw and a cold tall boy for me. So yes the folks here are great. If you like the outdoors, this is heaven. Im working on my ccw now. But I work crazy hours. You can have a holstered pistol in your center console here no ccw , no issue. I asked a local deputy he laughed and confirmed it. Also told me welcome back to freedom...lol. any thing else I can think of I'll post or ask me if you got any questions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All you need is proof of a safety course. I used my hunter safety course I took in the 70's.
View Quote

I thought it was only valid for 2yrs? I took mine 27yrs ago and immediately sent off the packet, the person who took the class with me waffled and then something happened after 2yrs, sent their packet off and it was rejected, over 2yrs was the reason given.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
@Defcon: A copy of your CO CCW will suffice as proof of training or use whatever you may have had to use for CO's CCW.

Florida Statutes, Ch. 790
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Defcon: A copy of your CO CCW will suffice as proof of training or use whatever you may have had to use for CO's CCW.

Florida Statutes, Ch. 790
View Quote
Thanks so much!   I greatly appreciate this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#15]
we are on well water.  all we have is an iron filter going into a water softener then to the house.  inside we have an under sink RO in the kitchen, feeds a little faucet on the sink and the fridge for the cool water and ice maker.  Maintain your filters/softener and you will not have any smell in the house.  we use either the RO or bottled water for drinking and cooking. All else is from the softener.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm in PG.
The deeper wells (100'+) in my AO tend to have less sulfur & ours has very little iron in it. Shallow wells can have a ton of iron.
As long as the water isn't turning your driveway red, you'll get used to it. All I have is a aeration tank & a softener. We have an RO system that feeds the icemaker & water at the fridge & a spout at the sink, but I'll drink the water all day long.
I had my well water tested for bacteria & it had less contaminates than the city water supply.
Shoot me a PM & let me know what area your moving to. I got acreage that I shoot on.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just a small clarification, if your center console has a latch, you don’t need the holster. No biggie by being ‘extra legal’, but the latch meets the legal hurdle for having the pistol in the car, not on your person(assuming ccw).
View Quote

Does that go for loaded? I never asked, was too busy giggling and saying I love this state. So just to clarify,  before I get my ccw I could possibly have a loaded firearm in my vehicle? If that's the case this state is truly freedom..lol. and let me clearly state screw California and everything its become. Thank the lord we're out of there..
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do your own research and or consult your own attorney and or blah blah blah.

5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
History.—s. 1, ch. 65-410; s. 32, ch. 69-216; s. 32, ch. 73-334; s. 2, ch. 77-302; s. 2, ch. 82-131; s. 15, ch. 83-167; ss. 45, 49, ch. 83-334; s. 32, ch. 84-258; s. 68, ch. 85-62; s. 5, ch. 85-332; s. 15, ch. 87-274; s. 2, ch. 87-537; s. 1, ch. 89-60; s. 8, ch. 90-364; s. 1, ch. 93-269; s. 7, ch. 93-416; s. 89, ch. 95-211; s. 1218, ch. 97-102; s. 110, ch. 2006-1; s. 2, ch. 2006-103; s. 1, ch. 2019-77.
1Note.—Repealed by s. 3, ch. 72-133.
Copyright © 1995-2021 The Florida Legislature • Privacy Statement • Contact Us

Found here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

Hot

Yes, the short answer is the gun, loaded or unloaded makes no difference, has to be ‘secured and out of view’. So, laying on a seat or under a seat is not legal. In a center console, glove box, gun box, or about any other opaque container that is secure works.

I would not want to be the test case, but a ziplock bag, under a towel, would be legal. Again, please don’t do this, just an example of a secure, or latched container.
View Quote

No I'm going to a ccw class soon. Just kinda mind blowing coming from California. Ive never left a firearm in a vehicle out of my sight, so wont start now. Now maybe in a secured safe mount in the vehicle to a structural component. But just in the glove box no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No I'm going to a ccw class soon. Just kinda mind blowing coming from California. Ive never left a firearm in a vehicle out of my sight, so wont start now. Now maybe in a secured safe mount in the vehicle to a structural component. But just in the glove box no.
View Quote
Consider getting a Lockerdown Safe, I LOVE mine and they are great people.  I called before ordering and they threw in some extras and gave me a discount code!  They send you everything you need.   Unbolt a few bolts, replace with theirs going through the safe and DONE!

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Moved in and getting set up!  Love it here so far, although the previous owners didn't take the best care of the pool.  Oh well, I almost have it dialed in.

If anyone needs a friend to go fishing with, let me know.  I am dying to get out on the gulf!  

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks man.

View Quote

1. Are you ex-military? If so, no class needed
2. Did you ever have to take a class for your CO CCW? If so no class needed.
3. Have you ever taken a Hunter Safety Course?  If so, no class needed.

If you have to take the class, it is a joke.  Sit thru a lecture, fire one round down range without shooting the instructor and you are GTG.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1. Are you ex-military? If so, no class needed
2. Did you ever have to take a class for your CO CCW? If so no class needed.
3. Have you ever taken a Hunter Safety Course?  If so, no class needed.

If you have to take the class, it is a joke.  Sit thru a lecture, fire one round down range without shooting the instructor and you are GTG.
View Quote

Hell, I think your previous state's CCW counts now unless they didn't require training, just a BGC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Moved in and getting set up!  Love it here so far, although the previous owners didn't take the best care of the pool.  Oh well, I almost have it dialed in.

If anyone needs a friend to go fishing with, let me know.  I am dying to get out on the gulf!  

View Quote

You ready to come over & do some shooting?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You ready to come over & do some shooting?  
View Quote

Yes indeed!     Let me know when you want to get together.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Welcome Florida man in training.
I had a blast.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Welcome Florida man in training.
I had a blast.
View Quote
Hell yeah man.   That was a kick in the pants!  Thanks again brother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top