Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2022 2:10:11 PM EDT
Was going to post this in GD but really didn't want to.  Relocating from WI to Easley in the next 1-2 months and looking for guidance on the best/most economical way to do it.

I/we will be transporting certain items ourselves (guns/ammo, motorcycles, ATV, valuables, etc.), but the bulk of our household goods will come down by another carrier.

We have never moved cross-country, having only experience with local moves.

Best way without dropping a ton of money?  Pods?  Other?

Many thanks for any suggestions that anyone might have.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
While not a long of a move, when we did the move form Va Beach to here we found a local mover who was willing to make the trip.  They added a little in to cover gas back home but it was WAY cheaper than a national moving company.  We also did all the boxing ourselves.

Remember, things will be damaged because no one will take care of it like you will.  No matter what method you go with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I moved a bunch via Penske 16' truck.  They offer a 5 day (will give a 6th day free) one way, unlimited miles deal for about 2k.  I was able to make 2 trips including loading and unloading in 4 days.  My trip from CT to new place was 13 hours. Only drawback aside from it being a hellish few days is paying the gas for the one empty return trip to get the second load.  I don't ever want to have to do it again but I was glad I was able to get it done and I saved a ton by doing it this way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
We'll be neighbors.  We just moved to Easley a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I was reared in Easley and lived there almost 50 years. It's a different place from my youth, but I can vouch for it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking like a "piggyback" move might be the ticket.  Our shit goes on a truck with someone else's shit headed that way.  Drops the cost for both parties.  Just gotta time it right.

Still weighing the options.  Can't rule out renting a truck and doing the self-move thing, but I am trying to avoid it.

I've made the drive from WI to Easley (14.5 hours one way) twice in the last 3 weeks, and have to go down for the inspection again soon.  Mind-numbing drive that I do during the night starting out around 10pm.

Looking like mid to late July for the move itself.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah it is brutal to do the move yourself.  The last single run I did 2 weekends ago I wound up falling out of the back of the truck and cracked  ribs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We'll be neighbors.  We just moved to Easley a couple months ago.
View Quote

Same here (8 months ago).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top