Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2018 11:18:37 PM EDT
I'm moving from Albuquerque to Destin for work, starting late this month.  Trying to figure out my shooting location options and here's what I'm seeing online:

1.  Eglin AFB range - hunting only, no target shooting at all
2.  Hurlburt Range - seems OK for daytime static target shooting only
3.  Bay County Shooting Range - seems OK, again just for daytime static target shooting only

Out here I just drive out to BLM land and can get done what I need to get done and not even see another person.  What do folks in the Panhandle do?  Nothing crazy, I'm not shooting an M2 belt fed w/ API or DDs, but am looking to shoot on the move with SBRs w/ cans, pistols, ect and like to get some low-light training in as well.  Appreciate the advice!
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
CORE if you know a member, get on the waiting list now, its a few years out before you'll get your own spot
Bullets and Bones in Defuniak
Oak Ridge indoor in Navarre, kinda shitty but fun to and from Pensacola if you bring a small range bag
Southern Tactical range is getting built around milton right now
There is a range under construction in Niceville
There are also rumors of a LARGE range going up in FWB somewhere, all rumors as of yet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!  The new projects in Niceville and FWB sound promising for the mid term.  The short term sounds not so good as weekly range trip transportation costs will get pretty high (lots of miles)!

Might be cheaper to just buy some rural property to shoot on.  In general, in rural areas there are there any state, county, or city laws which limit shooting on your property?

Is the FL HTF pretty active with get-together shoots?  We have a good group here in Albuquerque and the nearby BLM wilderness is perfect for machine gun shoots, run-n-gun courses, and such.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Checked out the CORE range site and it looks very good.  Took your advice and got on the membership waiting list!  Still interested in buying some cheap rural property just to shoot on if there are no LE hassles associated with doing so.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Escambia River Gun Club.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CORE if you know a member, get on the waiting list now, its a few years out before you'll get your own spot
Bullets and Bones in Defuniak
Oak Ridge indoor in Navarre, kinda shitty but fun to and from Pensacola if you bring a small range bag
Southern Tactical range is getting built around milton right now
There is a range under construction in Niceville
There are also rumors of a LARGE range going up in FWB somewhere, all rumors as of yet.
View Quote
Do you have any details on the range coming to Niceville?  I remember hearing something about a new range coming to the college, but that was ages ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have base access, Hurlburt gun club is your best bet in the area. I’ve kept an eye out for cheap rural land, but there’s not a lot much along the lines of cheap land to shoot on that I’ve seen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you have any details on the range coming to Niceville?  I remember hearing something about a new range coming to the college, but that was ages ago.
View Quote
Emerald Coast Shooting and Sport

Owned by the guy running 2nd amendment shooting in Niceville
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Destin? Hope you didn't close on the house yet. You will immediately regret moving there.

If you are actually working in Destin, consider living somewhere near by. If you aren't actually working in Destin, avoid going to Destin like the plague.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Destin? Hope you didn't close on the house yet. You will immediately regret moving there.

If you are actually working in Destin, consider living somewhere near by. If you aren't actually working in Destin, avoid going to Destin like the plague.
View Quote
Yeah I would live in Niceville, Freeport, or Santa Rosa Beach if actually working in Destin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Look at where you will be working.  If on Eglin garrison, you might regret living in Destin.  98 is a bitch during rush hour, Snowbird season, Spring Break and most of the summer.  The road widening is not making it better now.  The ONLY other route would be over the MidBay Bridge and a loop-D-loop to get to Eglin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
How is Mary Lester for living?

While staying on Okaloosa Island, I've found Hurlburt Field much easier to use for Commissary, et Cetera, than Eglin AFB.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll be working on Eglin AFB and am doing a year-long lease in Destin.  I wanted to give it a year to make sure I like the NW FL area before committing to a house.

Honestly my biggest concern coming from NM is having a great place to shoot.  More I've dug into it, more it looks like buying rural property is the only way to get what I want.  I noticed there is a new'ish law "backyard range measure (SB 130)" that seems to require a lot >1 acre for so-called backyard ranges but is somewhat vague as it gets into dwelling density.  I'll be there a week from today!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Good idea! Thinking of the year lease myself.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How is Mary Lester for living?

While staying on Okaloosa Island, I've found Hurlburt Field much easier to use for Commissary, et Cetera, than Eglin AFB.
View Quote
I live just West of Mary Esther off of 98.  Like every city, it has good and bad parts.  Overall, I love it.  I rarely go to Eglin.  I use the Hurlburt Medical Treatment Facility, Commissary, BX and Rifle/Pistol club.  The Eglin BX does have weapons, but the last time I looked, their prices weren't that great.  Other than 98 the Snowbird/Spring Break/Summer tourist traffic is not bad in Mary Esther.  Those people seem to hang in Navarre, FWB & Destin.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll be working on Eglin AFB and am doing a year-long lease in Destin.  I wanted to give it a year to make sure I like the NW FL area before committing to a house.

Honestly my biggest concern coming from NM is having a great place to shoot.  More I've dug into it, more it looks like buying rural property is the only way to get what I want.  I noticed there is a new'ish law "backyard range measure (SB 130)" that seems to require a lot >1 acre for so-called backyard ranges but is somewhat vague as it gets into dwelling density.  I'll be there a week from today!
View Quote
If youre working on eglin, there isnt a single reson to live in destin. If youre already signed onto your lease, start looking now for a new place to live. Its only a year in hell, I guess. A backyard range in Destin? lol, no.

If you are even considering something like that, you live in Crestview. I own multiple properties in Crestview, I could shoot at all of them if I wanted. Tons of folks up here shoot in their own yard. No one in FWB/Shalimar/Destin/Niceville area has a range in their yard. They would have the cops instantly called on them. Plus, the area down there... remeber Katrina? Yeah, all the trash flushed from new orleans along the gulf in both directions. fwb/destin got noticably more... rich and vibrant after that. I say that as a halfbreed. You dont want to live there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 3:45:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in Navarre, welcome to the Gunshine State!  Let me know if you need help with anything, I have an M1081 2.5t  LVAD LMTV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
A couple of things here...
You really need to heed the advice of those of us that live in the Panhandle and do whatever it takes to get out of your lease in Destin and find a nice place in Niceville, Valparaiso, or Shalimar.  Seriously.

Do not even consider moving anywhere (Navarre, etc.) that would require you to travel on Hwy 98; the traffic between Hurlburt Field and the Navarre Bridge is completely stupid at times and if there is a vehicle accident you are stuck as there are no detour options.

I shot at the Core Range facility a few months ago as a guest, it was a very nice place to shoot and if you deploy at all they will suspend your membership while you are gone.

I was a member of the Hurlburt Field Rifle and Pistol Club of and on for a few years but finally gave it up as the mentality of those running the range is very fuddish.

I have my own range on some land that I own in Mossy Head, FL which is a few miles east of Crestview, FL.  Most all of the land in Mossy Head is dual zoned as Agricultural/Residential so depending on the layout of the land you should have no problem building a small 25m to 50m range.  Check out King Lake Realty as they are located in Mossy Head and would be able to tell you if there is any land available that would be suitable for a small range:  King Lake Realty
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys appreciate all the tips.  I've been here since late Saturday and am getting settled in with the new job on Eglin.  Been staying in Destin near where the mid-bay bridge is and have been doing about a 30-35 minute commute to work.  We'll spend some time getting smart on the area and will buy or build a handful of months down the road.  Need to get out and do some pistol shooting this weekend as I've been messing with front sight heights on two pistols I'm trying to get dialed in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks guys appreciate all the tips.  I've been here since late Saturday and am getting settled in with the new job on Eglin.  Been staying in Destin near where the mid-bay bridge is and have been doing about a 30-35 minute commute to work.  We'll spend some time getting smart on the area and will buy or build a handful of months down the road.  Need to get out and do some pistol shooting this weekend as I've been messing with front sight heights on two pistols I'm trying to get dialed in.
View Quote
Hi neighbor!  I'm on the north side of that bridge next to the park.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top