Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2020 8:29:29 PM EDT
Looks like I’ll likely be relocating to Canada (Ontario) some time later this year. Obviously, I’ve been researching importing of firearms, and what I need to leave back in the USA already (Thanks Striker for the PIN at the top). What I can’t seem to figure out is there a way to get my PAL before relocating. Any advice and experience would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By UA_ME02:
Looks like I’ll likely be relocating to Canada (Ontario) some time later this year. Obviously, I’ve been researching importing of firearms, and what I need to leave back in the USA already (Thanks Striker for the PIN at the top). What I can’t seem to figure out is there a way to get my PAL before relocating. Any advice and experience would be appreciated.
View Quote

You can, right now they told the Firearm instructor's to hold off putting on courses due to COVID-19. Odds of taking a PAL course and getting your license before the end of the year is very low. I'm sure their applications are piled right up. After you import, you can get a 60 day temporary license.

Authorization for non-residents who do not hold a licence to import firearms that are not prohibited firearms

35 (1) A non-resident who does not hold a licence may import a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm if, at the time of the importation,

(a) the non-resident

(i) is eighteen years old or older,

(ii) declares the firearm to a customs officer in the prescribed manner and, in the case of a declaration in writing, completes the prescribed form containing the prescribed information, and

(iii) in the case of a restricted firearm, produces an authorization to transport the restricted firearm; and

(b) a customs officer confirms in the prescribed manner the declaration referred to in subparagraph (a)(ii) and the authorization to transport referred to in subparagraph (a)(iii).

Temporary licence and registration certificate

36 (1) A declaration that is confirmed under paragraph 35(1)(b) has the same effect after the importation of the firearm as a licence authorizing the non-resident to possess only that firearm and, in the case of a restricted firearm, as a registration certificate for the firearm until

(a) the expiry of 60 days after the importation, in the case of a non-restricted firearm; or

(b) the earlier of the expiry of 60 days after the importation and the expiry of the authorization to transport, in the case of a restricted firearm.:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Very helpful, thanks for the response!  I’m sure it’ll be an eventful activity, but relo’s always are.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Mark,  sadly there’s at least a handful more that will have to stay in the US now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Bad time to relocate here!
What part of Ontario are you relocating to? Is this for work?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top