Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2022 10:53:21 AM EDT
Hey Guys, Im planning on moving to California soon and was just wondering if I could bring all my guns with me. I have AR pistols, SMGs, handguns, revolvers, suppressors, but no machine-guns. I have heard it would be legal if all guns were registered with CDOJ and locked it in the safe. Please help as I'm being torn apart knowing that I might have to part with some of my babies lol. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
nm.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Guys, Im planning on moving to California soon and was just wondering if I could bring all my guns with me. I have AR pistols, SMGs, handguns, revolvers, suppressors, but no machine-guns. I have heard it would be legal if all guns were registered with CDOJ and locked it in the safe. Please help as I'm being torn apart knowing that I might have to part with some of my babies lol. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I moved from Florida to California. You’re gonna have to leave some of that stuff with family, or otherwise sell it.

I have Class III stuff too, and I put it in a trust with my parents as trustees to keep it for me in Florida.

Other options being you can rent space in safes in Nevada at gun stores to keep it for you, and go to Nevada to go play with it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The foolish politicians have decided there are good and bad arms. They have obviously conspired to infringe upon the rights of the citizens of that state and they continue to do so.

The politicians will continue to suppress citizen's rights until they are taught their limits.

When I was serving in California I found it easier to buy the firearms off the shelves of the gun stores.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Suppressors and your submachine guns are controlled by the NFA and you'll have to follow the federal laws on them.

I hope that's not surprising
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
No NFA or suppressors in California.  That's why I didn't buy a Ma-deuce when they were only $2.5k and a M-1 Thompson for only $1k.  F*cking state.

As for the rest of your stuff, better check the CA DOJ list of "approved" items.  Not on the list, no can bring in.

Will you be working close enough to the NV border such that you can live there and commute daily?  That's what I would do.  No oppressive CA state income taxes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You chose to ask that as your first post?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
There are very few reasons to move to Ca.  Most of them can be answered by living in Nv or Az.

So that being said, choose wisely.  There are a lot of things wrong with this state and firearm laws are just the tip of dick they ram into you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey Guys, Im planning on moving to California soon and was just wondering if I could bring all my guns with me. I have AR pistols NO, SMGs NO, handguns YES (Magazines limited to ten rounds), revolvers NO, suppressors NO, but no machine-guns. I have heard it would be legal if all guns were registered with CDOJ and locked it in the safe. Please help as I'm being torn apart knowing that I might have to part with some of my babies lol. Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Stay out of Nevada too. Just sell everything before you move.   It’s easier.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My impression is there are some licensed business routes that might cover NFA items, etc.  I don't know what that might entail in the realm of fees, background checks, testing, etc.  (Which is to say, there may be a "registered" and "locked"" sort of thing but it may be difficult to get to that point for most mere mortals.

If it's a tax stamp item, it's likely a no.  

If it meets the California definition of an "assault weapon," it's no.  The AW regs are covered in the stickies.  There may be some other items like .50 caliber rifles, or some dimensional issues, etc., that may apply to items which might be legal elsewhere without a stamp like say the "Shockwave" type shotguns.  You should familiarize yourself with the Attorney General/DoJ site on firearms laws. It also includes things like the time limit for a personal firearms importer to register newly imported firearms, laws on transportation (what must be locked, what doesn't need to be locked), "open carry" (mostly none), CCW reciprocity - none, etc.

Ammunition feeding devices capable of holding over 10 rounds are illegal to import.

The Handgun Safety roster does not apply to personally imported firearms.  But the assault weapons regulations do.  So, no threaded barrels.  I don't think .410 handguns are legal in California now.  Other than that not aware of any revolver restrictions.  (But that's why yo should check the regs, too.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No NFA or suppressors in California.  That's why I didn't buy a Ma-deuce when they were only $2.5k and a M-1 Thompson for only $1k.  F*cking state.

As for the rest of your stuff, better check the CA DOJ list of "approved" items.  Not on the list, no can bring in.

Will you be working close enough to the NV border such that you can live there and commute daily?  That's what I would do.  No oppressive CA state income taxes.
View Quote

Quoted:
My impression is there are some licensed business routes that might cover NFA items, etc.  I don't know what that might entail in the realm of fees, background checks, testing, etc.  (Which is to say, there may be a "registered" and "locked"" sort of thing but it may be difficult to get to that point for most mere mortals.

If it's a tax stamp item, it's likely a no.  

If it meets the California definition of an "assault weapon," it's no.  The AW regs are covered in the stickies.  There may be some other items like .50 caliber rifles, or some dimensional issues, etc., that may apply to items which might be legal elsewhere without a stamp like say the "Shockwave" type shotguns.  You should familiarize yourself with the Attorney General/DoJ site on firearms laws. It also includes things like the time limit for a personal firearms importer to register newly imported firearms, laws on transportation (what must be locked, what doesn't need to be locked), "open carry" (mostly none), CCW reciprocity - none, etc.

Ammunition feeding devices capable of holding over 10 rounds are illegal to import.

The Handgun Safety roster does not apply to personally imported firearms.  But the assault weapons regulations do.  So, no threaded barrels.  I don't think .410 handguns are legal in California now.  Other than that not aware of any revolver restrictions.  (But that's why yo should check the regs, too.)
View Quote

Some NFA items are allowed, and some are not.  AOWs, C&R SBRs (by age, i.e. 50+ years old), C&R SBSs, and DDs can be owned without having to get the CA DWPs that are only really accessible to SOTs and certain other persons.  DDs that are at least .60-caliber or which are not technically firearms do require a DWP to own, but there's one available for collectors that many ordinary folks can obtain.  Machine guns, suppressors, and modern SBRs and SBSs, as well as unrestricted ownership of the latter class of DDs, do require those permits, and IIRC, certain gadget guns are banned entirely.

SOTs willing to deal with ordinary citizens can be hard to find, though, if you need to do transfers, gunsmithing work, etc.  Most will not bother with private citizens from what I hear.  I've only met one at least somewhat willing to do so over the years.

And yeah, the roster doesn't apply to importation.  Not sure if that's what Riter is talking about, but if not, there is no other list of approved items to worry about.

AWB compliance is probably the biggest concern, and that can overlap with some NFA stuff that might otherwise be legal to bring in.  Hi cap mags cannot be imported as intact items, nor be assembled/manufactured here in CA.  Tracer ammo is regulated as a DD AFAIK, I think same with incendiary and explosive rounds, regardless of weight of content.  Anything that makes it easier to fire rapidly or in bursts should be treated as if it is illegal, even if it can be debatable for some of those items.  These are the things most folks need to think about before coming here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top