Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2019 4:37:50 PM EDT
Howdy,

Looks like my move to Arizona could be happening now within a month or so. When I moved up here I burried pistols (2) and a rifle in duffle bags and the truck trunk and had the car shipped from Seattle to Anchorage. Technically that's against their rules but that's what I did. No ammo or anything combustible.

My collection increased somewhat while up here with an additional rifle and four pistols. So six pistols and two rifles will be going back with me. My OCD is kicking in again, compelling me to rethink it all to get everything back to Arizona. My options:

-Same as last time, bury it all in luggage in the car that'll be stuffed full with all kinds of things, though it's against shipping company policy.
-Bury them in boxes of clothes I'll ship to myself Fed-X.
-Have an LGS ship them.
-Carry on luggage with Alaska Airlines.

What would YOU do? What have you done?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Carry on with AA was our most used method.  We did this over many years and trips.  50# of ammo at a time.

Ferry worked well.

Driving through Canada was OK with Fudd long guns, powder cases, ammo, and primers.

Did not ship any (guns) via postal, freight or LGS.

Used USPS flat rate for magazines, bullets, some cases, lead, small parts, etc.

Edit: we tried very hard to obey all the laws and rules in moving our stuff.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, not carry-on but flying with it is the easiest option. Alaska Air has never given me issues and it's easy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]
If I don't carry on I'll ship to myself. I called Alaska Custom Firearms, who I've used for a few transfers, and the guy cut me off soon as he knew what I was calling for: "Easiest part of your move, bring them in we'll pack 'em up and ship to you when you get there. Fed-X in two days. Easiest part of your move."
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Great idea.  Did they give you and idea of how much this was going to cost?
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great idea.  Did they give you and idea of how much this was going to cost?
View Quote
$100
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
For all your guns?  That's a lot better than sending a single handgun out for repair.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
What part of AZ you moving to man?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

$100
View Quote
Small price to pay for that many guns. I would go that route.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
When I left AK, I had 7 guns (4 long guns, 3 handguns) to bring home. I bought new double rifle cases and brought them with me on Alaska Airlines, along with my ammo (50# of ammo on Alaska is a godsend!).

I paid a couple hundred dollars in overweight and extra baggage fees, which was well worth it for peace of mind.

I gave my excess primers and powders to a couple buddies up there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What part of AZ you moving to man?
View Quote
I'm in Tucson now for my home base. Also have a shack in Old Town Bisbee on the proper side of Tombstone Canyon that'll be an ongoing project, but the view is worth it! Spending weekends there, and looking for range areas in SE AZ now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Small price to pay for that many guns. I would go that route.
View Quote
Yea...it was double that...shipping and all. Apologies for misrepresenting. Overall I do recommend http://new.alaskacustomfirearms.com/about.html  Solid people. Trust is there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top