Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2019 4:23:11 AM EDT
Looks like I'll be moving from the American Sahara (Phoenix) to the American Steppe - finally got a job offer, should be there (Cheyenne) in early October. Any areas of the city I should avoid (FWIW: Phoenix has double the violent crime rate, so bad for Cheyenne is probably decent for Phoenix)? Any suggestions on cheap areas a bit outside of town? Got feelers out for 3-5 places in Cheyenne, willing to commute a bit if prices are better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats... I wish I could move there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You say you're willing to commute, but wait till the snow starts flying, and you'll probably change your mind. I also thought about living outside of town when I first got orders here back in 2006, but that changed when I actually drove out and looked at properties out near Burns, Carpenter, Horse Creek, areas. If you like flat open prairie with no trees in sight, go for it.

I live in a newer (2004) development on the "decent" side of South Cheyenne, when a house goes up for sale in this neighborhood it doesn't stay on the market long. I'd say the houses that have recently sold have been in the low $200k range. There are currently three newer developments in this area: Harmony Hills, Harmony Meadows, Harmony Point. Most of these houses were built in the early 2000s. Multiple elementary schools, Junior high, and high school smack dab in the center of this part of Cheyenne. If you never been here, then you may find it refreshing to be able to drive from one side of town to the other in only a few minutes. Morning and afternoon rush hours maybe last about 30 minutes for city streets, and basically non-existent for the interstate.

North, North East Cheyenne is where you'll find the McMansions, and Ranchettes, prices will be in the $300+ ranges.

Not much crime in Cheyenne, especially violent crimes/murders/homicides/etc. Sure we have crime, but no where near as much as you'd hear about on the news in a place like Phoenix. Honistly, I've lived here since 2006, and the only crime committed against me was someone stole some change out of my car...which I had left unlocked overnight by accident.

For places to shoot, I'd say look into joining the Otto Road Shooting Range. They shut the NF down for shooting during the summer because there are so many folks up there this time of year. You'd think CO doesn't have any camping areas based on the amount of CO license plates you see. Fishing you have some like right here in town, and Crow, Crystal, Granite Reservoirs about 17 miles to the west. If you like to catch Brook trout, the beaver ponds up in the Pole Mountain area have a bunch. Deer, Antelope, Elk, Moose, Coyote, Grey/Red Fox, and all kinds of other animals roam around in the mountains and prairies around here.

Hopefully your job allows you free time to enjoy the area.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You say you're willing to commute, but wait till the snow starts flying, and you'll probably change your mind. I also thought about living outside of town when I first got orders here back in 2006, but that changed when I actually drove out and looked at properties out near Burns, Carpenter, Horse Creek, areas. If you like flat open prairie with no trees in sight, go for it.

I live in a newer (2004) development on the "decent" side of South Cheyenne, when a house goes up for sale in this neighborhood it doesn't stay on the market long. I'd say the houses that have recently sold have been in the low $200k range. There are currently three newer developments in this area: Harmony Hills, Harmony Meadows, Harmony Point. Most of these houses were built in the early 2000s. Multiple elementary schools, Junior high, and high school smack dab in the center of this part of Cheyenne. If you never been here, then you may find it refreshing to be able to drive from one side of town to the other in only a few minutes. Morning and afternoon rush hours maybe last about 30 minutes for city streets, and basically non-existent for the interstate.

North, North East Cheyenne is where you'll find the McMansions, and Ranchettes, prices will be in the $300+ ranges.

Not much crime in Cheyenne, especially violent crimes/murders/homicides/etc. Sure we have crime, but no where near as much as you'd hear about on the news in a place like Phoenix. Honistly, I've lived here since 2006, and the only crime committed against me was someone stole some change out of my car...which I had left unlocked overnight by accident.

For places to shoot, I'd say look into joining the Otto Road Shooting Range. They shut the NF down for shooting during the summer because there are so many folks up there this time of year. You'd think CO doesn't have any camping areas based on the amount of CO license plates you see. Fishing you have some like right here in town, and Crow, Crystal, Granite Reservoirs about 17 miles to the west. If you like to catch Brook trout, the beaver ponds up in the Pole Mountain area have a bunch. Deer, Antelope, Elk, Moose, Coyote, Grey/Red Fox, and all kinds of other animals roam around in the mountains and prairies around here.

Hopefully your job allows you free time to enjoy the area.
View Quote
Thanks very much! Looking forward to the move. Drove in for a little while last week, seemed like a great place.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you here yet to enjoy the beautiful weather? LOL
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you here yet to enjoy the beautiful weather? LOL
View Quote
Came in last week, just missing the big snowstorm. Really liking the place.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks very much for recommending Otto Road range. It's a really nice, big place for not much coin. Weather permitting I plan to be there a couple times a month at least. It's a shorter drive there than even the indoor ranges were in Phoenix.
Wish I'd moved here years ago.

Can anybody recommend a good cell provider for this area? Coming up on the end of my contract and there's a lot of places just in Cheyenne that are straight up dead with my current provider.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks very much for recommending Otto Road range. It's a really nice, big place for not much coin. Weather permitting I plan to be there a couple times a month at least. It's a shorter drive there than even the indoor ranges were in Phoenix.
Wish I'd moved here years ago.

Can anybody recommend a good cell provider for this area? Coming up on the end of my contract and there's a lot of places just in Cheyenne that are straight up dead with my current provider.
View Quote
Was out there this morning shooting some 308 and 45-70 on the long range area. Wind made it kind of a pain past 400 yards, but was still able to hit steel out to 700.

Verizon is the carrier I've used for the 13 years I've lived here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
We have Tmobil and havent had any issues with service in Cheyenne.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top