Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2022 2:44:13 PM EDT
Someone I know is looking at moving back to NJ due to age. He's reaching the age that he needs family help and has told me his
family is in NJ. I have searched on line and found a license is required for owning and buying but I am also looking for a specific list of
firearms that are not allowed that is current. My searches have found lists but over two years old. Does he need a license before
he even brings anything into the state? Also, I believe hollow points are a no no. Correct?  And, any other info anyone feels
could be a guide.

My priority right now is to help him medically as much as I can but am concerned that he would just pack up, move to New Jersey,
and just show up at a range with something that would ruin his life.

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The list of firearms banned by name has not changed in many years, so anything you find is more than likely current.  You could always reference the exact statute (2C:39-1w) at the official NJ website (www.njleg.state.nj.us)

Our "substantially identical" clause in that same statute effectively implements the original federal AWB ban, meaning things like AR's with flash suppressors, or non-fixed stocks, or AR pistols, or high-cap semi-auto shotguns, are prohibited.  For now, we're still a "1-feature" state...  you can have a pistol grip, OR a threaded barrel/flash suppressor - but not both.  So M1A = good, but LE6920 = bad.

Correct on hollow-points...  at least for transporting them into the state while moving.  They re legal to purchase, legal to possess at home, and legal to transport back and forth to the range - but they are NOT legal to possess while moving from residence to residence.  The Brian Aitken case taught us all that.

Currently, no "license" is required to bring guns in from out of state, and keep in your home (see statute 2C:39-6e for that).  NJ doesn't have a "license", per se - we have a Firearms Identification Card, which is required to purchase rifles and shotguns, and which grants some limited "extra" privileges when transporting same to/from a range (as in, with an FID card, you can stop at Wawa for coffee... but without that FID card, an unloaded rifle in your trunk while stopping for coffee at that same Wawa would get you 3-5 years in state prison).  All handgun purchases are done via issued "permits to purchase a handgun" - one permit per handgun acquired.

There IS (allegedly) a NJ permit to carry a handgun - but you can forget about ever obtaining this mythical document.  NJ is effectively a "no-issue" state.  So therefore, all handgun possession by the VAST majority of firearm owners in this state is done via EXCEPTION to the law that basically says, "it is illegal to possess a handgun in NJ without a permit to carry".  Again, reference statutes 2C:39-6e and 2C:39-6f.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks @Tom488 for the info. Gives me something to look at tonight.

Not sure I understand the handgun part. A person moving into the state might not
be able to bring it with them?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks @Tom488 for the info. Gives me something to look at tonight.

Not sure I understand the handgun part. A person moving into the state might not
be able to bring it with them?
View Quote

You can bring them. Just no mags over 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top