Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2023 12:44:20 PM EDT
Hey guys,

My wife and I currently reside in Clark SD (pop 1,200 and 30mi from closest “big” town of 25k) and this winter, as bad as it’s been, has us considering a move to a more mild climate.

We’re both 31 and our kids (5,3,2,1)have been virtually stuck inside for 4 months with little to do.

We’re both SD natives and we both have land here that will eventually become ours. I don’t mind the cold climate with all the snow that comes with it but she has had it at this point.

What parts of the state should we be looking towards?

Priorities:
1. Safe & family friendly
2. Climate that’s not hard to be outside in year round
3. Decent school, athletic, & social opportunities for kids
4. Not a liberal shithole

Priorities. 2nd tier:
1. Access to public shooting ranges (longe range is a bonus as would 2-gun type shooting.)
1:A. Networking with like minded folk
2. Hunting. (What can we hunt in UT?)
3. Atv trail riding/hiking/camping/etc
4. Decent lake with deep enough water for water sport recreation
5. Within a reasonable distance of “weekend or extended weekend” type vacation opportunities. (Vegas, slc getaway, ski trip, etc?)
6. I would personally prefer to not live in town.

I’m a logistics manager with a background that consists or firearm sales early on, mfg project management, mfg ops, and mfg supply chain.

Wife’s a teacher. Whether or not she teaches once we move depends on the situation.

We can likely dump our 3.5 acre property for $500k in anticipation of a move. FWIW

Thanks for any and all input guys!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Vernal it has everything you want and more
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Your best job opportunities are going to be in the SLC area.  If you can afford it, Heber is a great town.  I'd spend some time on Zillow and look at the listings.  I'll say getting anything on more than a 1/4 acre is rather expensive in the state.

Another area to look at would be Utah County.  Still close to everything with the exceptions of in the "country".

We've had a pretty wet winter, but in the valleys the snow typically melts off within a day or less.

St. George is nice with mild winters, but it's getting expensive and I'm not sure of the job opportunities.  It's hot in the summer.  No lakes nearby.

Cedar City is just 50 miles north and much smaller.  The weather there runs 10-20 degrees cooler than St. George due to the elevation.  No lakes nearby.

Logan might be another place to check out.  More rural and Bear Lake nearby.

Utah Lake and the Great Salt Lake aren't used much for boating.  Bad water.  Jordanelle, Deer Creek, Strawberry, and Bear Lake are where the boaters hang out up north.

I know a guy that lives mid state near Richfield.  It's rural, with great ATV riding.   Not a lot of people, and I can't think of any lakes for boating nearby.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
What you can find for work is going to dictate where you go. In regards to your requests I'd recommend Carbon or Emery County (Price or Castle Dale area) in central eastern Utah. Though it might be too warm for you in the peak of the summer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top