Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2018 7:49:11 AM EDT
What do I need to do as far as long guns and pistols are concerned? Also, I have a Michigan CPL... Will I need to reapply in Florida?

Thanks!

Update: I applied for a Florida CPL using my DD214. (This is not an option in Michigan, btw.) Very friendly people at this office! They told me that the CPL would be expedited since I was using a DD214. Go Florida!!! I have noticed that Florida is VERY appreciative of veterans.

Also, my understanding of the current FL statutes is that my Michigan CPL is still valid for 90 days after the move. Does anyone have any insight that would prove this wrong? ( I registered to vote when I got my DL and plate.)

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.—
(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
(a) Is 21 years of age or older.
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
(c) Is a resident of the United States.
(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.
(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:
(a) Registering to vote;
(b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
(c) Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state,

the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence.

(4) This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
(5) The requirement of paragraph (1)(a) does not apply to a person who:
(a) Is a servicemember, as defined in s. 250.01; or
(b) Is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was discharged under honorable conditions.
History.—s. 1, ch. 99-132; s. 2, ch. 2012-108.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Read about our gun laws here:

FSS 790

You have 90 days to get your CC License one you establish residency.

ETA- read FSS 790.03, FSS 790.25 and FSS 790.251 for starters.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read about our gun laws here:

FSS 790

You have 90 days to get your CC License one you establish residency.

ETA- read FSS 790.03, FSS 790.25 and FSS 790.251 for starters.
View Quote
Pretty much.

As far as legal ownership. Nothing much is needed. No registration or regulation. Bump Stocks come Oct 1st will be illegal to possess. As far as carry, self defense, etc.... read the law.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know when you are moving, but it is going to be awhile, you can get a head start on your Florida license by applying now and then all you need to do when you settle in here is change your address online.  Florida does not issue resident and non resident licenses.  We don't differentiate and your address does not appear on your license.

If you wait until you get here there are several ways to apply, but he easiest is to go to a reginal office if there is one close to you.

And just as a primer, the following are our prohibited places:

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
(b) A person licensed under this section shall not be prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for lawful purposes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
drive around Maryland depending on which way you come down.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Just moved here this past month from MI to FL with NFA weapons (form5320.20) and about 25 other weapons plus 9000 cash in my trunk.  And carried all the way down.
Get you DL and CWP with 6 month
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
"Florida requires anyone driving a motor vehicle on public streets and highways to have a valid Florida drivers license. If you move to Florida you are required to get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident. This is important because if you are a Florida resident and are pulled over but you do not have a Florida license you could be subject to fines."

https://www.dmvflorida.org/florida-drivers-manual/

You're required to get your Florida Drivers Licence within 30 days of establishing residency.

Welcome to Florida.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
drive around Maryland depending on which way you come down.
View Quote
MI to FL shouldn't include MD unless lost...
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Update in OP.

Any thoughts on the 90 day thing?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the usacarry website, FL & MI are reciprocal, so you are OK.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Update in OP.

View Quote
If you applied at a regional office you should have you FLCWFL in a week to 10 days.

But you are good for 90 days if you are delayed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Update in OP.

View Quote
Since FL and MI reciprocate, I think your MI CWL is good until it's expiration date...  but you'll get your FL CWL long before then.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since FL and MI reciprocate, I think your MI CWL is good until it's expiration date...  but you'll get your FL CWL long before then.
View Quote
The MI licence may (or may not) be valid until it expires, but FL does not recognize it after 90 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top