Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2020 9:34:12 PM EDT
My wife and I have raised 2 boys and lived in this house 30 years...moving to Chelan where we own a house. My wife and I lived most of our lives in King County. Both of us are tired of the stupid politics, and the $1K a month in property taxes.

We are embracing this move and looking forward to new friends...

ETA... we’ve owned this house for 20 years but need to live in it for 2 years for “long term capital gains”. I agree that Washington is going downhill fast. Northern Idaho is very attractive.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the right side of the state
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
We are really looking forward to the move...we have always notice the culture is far more friendlier on the Eastside.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You are stopping much too soon.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
We lived in Olympia up until 4 months ago, and our plan for the last 20 years has been to move to Chelan. We still love it over there, but we couldn't take being told what to do any longer. That said you're going to have a wonderful life, that is a magical place that we will continue to visit as much as possible.

Enjoy life.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife and I did it last June, not a day goes by that we don't thank God in making that decision.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no way I'll sell and move away from the west side and still stay in this state.  EWa has less traffic and lower prices but is still ruled by Seattle.  Gotta get out of this State for real relief..
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, the Chelan area looks awesome, but it's still in WA, and WA is a lost cause. If I move away, I'm going to ID or MT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Chelan is awesome. But I agree, all of the BS in WA stems from the state government and the best escape from that is over the border in Idaho.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Chelan area life long resident here, traffic can still be a pain, not the amount, but more inability to handle it. West side RS have changed this area way to much, as said above still ruled by King County. The Methow, Chelan/Manson areas have seen the take over, and property prices have risen, to the point allot of locals can not afford to live here anymore. I plan on leaving this state when I retire, I’m from the east side, and it has changed so much if I could move tomorrow I would.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chelan area life long resident here, traffic can still be a pain, not the amount, but more inability to handle it. West side RS have changed this area way to much, as said above still ruled by King County. The Methow, Chelan/Manson areas have seen the take over, and property prices have risen, to the point allot of locals can not afford to live here anymore. I plan on leaving this state when I retire, I’m from the east side, and it has changed so much if I could move tomorrow I would.
View Quote

Which areas are you looking at? If you don't mind sharing. I am also seeking to leave WA in a few years or sooner if we have major changes after Covid-19.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which areas are you looking at? If you don't mind sharing. I am also seeking to leave WA in a few years or sooner if we have major changes after Covid-19.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Idaho, not sure where yet, but once we’re financially set so I don’t have to work my ass off, and or I find a suitable job, we are out of here. I like all of Idaho, and we have not settled on a place yet. We used to have a place in northern Idaho but we want someplace warmer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Idaho, not sure where yet, but once we’re financially set so I don’t have to work my ass off, and or I find a suitable job, we are out of here. I like all of Idaho, and we have not settled on a place yet. We used to have a place in northern Idaho but we want someplace warmer.
View Quote

I also have considered Idaho but as you state finding a warmer location is a desirable factor. I think that many of us have the same thoughts and reasoning. Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went farther east to Idaho, just outside of Twin Falls.

What sucks, is Covid hit when I had just 4 months left before I retire in June.

Hopefully I can get my home in Lynden sold as I don't want to be a landlord again.

View Quote

Best of luck to you, hope you're able to get your place sold and get out of Wa asap. We escaped in November 2019, and had we known how much we would like Idaho we'd have moved 20 years ago. It's so peaceful over here, and no traffic to speak of, not much crime to worry about either.

If we were still in Olympia I'd be pretty concerned right now because our house was on a pretty busy road out in the country, but still close enough to town that if the turds get restless there could be trouble.

Chelan was our first choice, it's on of the most beautiful places in the PNW, but in the last 15 years it's been ruined by all the folks from Seattle moving over and ripping out the orchards. At least many of the farms are still growing grapes, and haven't been turned into tract homes, but there's plenty of houses being built as well. It's simply not the quaint little town it used to be.

We're kinda bummed out that Chelan got ruined, but couldn't be happier with our choice to live in Northern Idaho. Winter must have been weak this year because it wasn't bad at all, and in fact we kind of expected some serious winter weather, and it didn't happen.

What part of Idaho are you building in Migradog? We're looking for land in Priest River right now, and will be building as soon as possible, but we're living in a condo in Blanchard until that happens.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Best of luck to you, hope you're able to get your place sold and get out of Wa asap. We escaped in November 2019, and had we known how much we would like Idaho we'd have moved 20 years ago. It's so peaceful over here, and no traffic to speak of, not much crime to worry about either.

If we were still in Olympia I'd be pretty concerned right now because our house was on a pretty busy road out in the country, but still close enough to town that if the turds get restless there could be trouble.

Chelan was our first choice, it's on of the most beautiful places in the PNW, but in the last 15 years it's been ruined by all the folks from Seattle moving over and ripping out the orchards. At least many of the farms are still growing grapes, and haven't been turned into tract homes, but there's plenty of houses being built as well. It's simply not the quaint little town it used to be.

We're kinda bummed out that Chelan got ruined, but couldn't be happier with our choice to live in Northern Idaho. Winter must have been weak this year because it wasn't bad at all, and in fact we kind of expected some serious winter weather, and it didn't happen.

What part of Idaho are you building in Migradog? We're looking for land in Priest River right now, and will be building as soon as possible, but we're living in a condo in Blanchard until that happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went farther east to Idaho, just outside of Twin Falls.

What sucks, is Covid hit when I had just 4 months left before I retire in June.

Hopefully I can get my home in Lynden sold as I don't want to be a landlord again.

Tell me, I live about 15 miles north of Chelan, it is ruined, and their stupidity made it impossible to own a home there. The same thing happened in the Methow, Twisp and Winthrop are nothing like they used to be. Apple orchards are becoming a thing of big companies, the days of mom and pop small orchards are gone, the apple industry itself has changed so much, we used to be decent sized with packing, and sold out, between government regulations, labor costs, and declining returns it just wasn’t worth it anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top