Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2021 11:09:47 PM EDT
So got offered a new position up at a company located right by the Dulles Expo Center. Since I got stationed in Virginia and made it my home, I’ve moved further and further south to get away from the traffic, people, and general insanity that comes from being in NOVA. However, I don’t particularly want a 1.5 hour commute 1 way if there’s no traffic.

I’ve look at a few apartments up there and it seems like anything 2 bedroom is $2000+. That’d double what I pay now on my mortgage with insurance and utilities. Are there are decent areas further west or south I should be looking? I’m alright with a 30-45 minute commute as that’s what I do now. Anything I’ve found even at $1800 or so is in a pretty crummy area or a tiny place.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be looking at warrenton if I worked in dulles.  
I commuted there from gainesville and it wasnt too bad.  
Prob about a 50 minute commute depending on 66/28.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Any chance to telecommute? I moved all my people from our Fairfax offices to telecommuting or to Regis-like offices near their homes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the Purcellville - Lovettsville area of NW Loudoun County. I'm in Lovettsville, and it's 40 to 45 minutes to the Dulles Expo Center.

Not a lot of apartments in the area, but lots of houses for sale.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I live down the street from Coppermine Run apartments in Herndon.  Some of those apartments around the Clocktower shopping center seem to go for under 2 grand.  David
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the advice everyone has offered so far. I’d mainly looked around the Loudon area and has started glancing around the Woodbridge area to stay a little closer to the Stafford area. It’s hard trying to swallow the pill of my mortgage/rent doubling in addition to higher COLA being up north. The job entails a 30% pay increase, but much of that will get wiped with the aforementioned increases.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the Purcellville - Lovettsville area of NW Loudoun County. I'm in Lovettsville, and it's 40 to 45 minutes to the Dulles Expo Center.

Not a lot of apartments in the area, but lots of houses for sale.
View Quote

This or anywhere west of RT15 at the very least.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about the Hoodbridge real estate market. Used to be a nice area back in the day.  If you are in Stafford and have to work in Dulles there are back roads that you can take and not have to be on 66 very long to get to Dulles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you sell your current place for enough to look at buying a condo or townhouse in NoVA?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you sell your current place for enough to look at buying a condo or townhouse in NoVA?
View Quote

I had considered that, but with the market being a seller’s market I’d rather hold onto funds and look for something in a few years again. Other reason being I’m not planning to stay in NOVA, or possibly at this place for more than 2 years.

The 4-5 places I’ve looked at, though nice, are just too expensive. I don’t need concierge trash service or BS like that, just a decent place that’s affordable.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know about the Hoodbridge real estate market. Used to be a nice area back in the day.  If you are in Stafford and have to work in Dulles there are back roads that you can take and not have to be on 66 very long to get to Dulles.
View Quote

I’m starting to look at commuting more and more. I do about 30-45 everyday going from basically Orange to 17 in Stafford. I also commuted from Stafford to Myer for years, so I kind of know what that pain is like.

Im going to look at trying to find some other ways to search for places this weekend. I’m sure something is out there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
There is an apartment complex
just off Rt. 1 and Rt. 619.. less than 1/2 mile from the Main Gate at Quantico…

pretty nice, better than the typical
rentals in that area.

last I knew, their 2BR
apartments were
$1200-1300 /mo.

Eastgate Apts.

If interested
call Donna or Geno
at (703) 221-2940.

answering service on weekends, and after
1700 weekdays.

I’ve rented a 1-BR from them for four years, in another small complex not far away.

Good Luck!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top