Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2021 2:26:01 PM EDT
Hello All,
As some of you may know, today is National Match Day for US medical students. I had the pleasure of matching into a program in Dallas and my wife, dog, and I will be moving there this spring. My wife is from Oklahoma and we don't plan on moving back to the now garbage state of Georgia and want to live long term in the North Texas/OK area. We are currently looking at possibly buying a house so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about places to look or avoid in Dallas.
Any other suggestions or words of advice are welcomed.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
We'll need to know where you're going to be spending your days to give you an answer. DFW is a sprawling mess and traffic/commute times are paramount.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Residency program or something else? Probably want to rent for a while and get a feel for the area before making a decision on location to buy. And, definitely don’t fall into the foolish, new doc trap of financing new cars and buying a “doctor” house right away. Can’t tell you how many young docs I’ve know who were deeply in debt within a couple of years of passing boards. I’m not your supervisor, but encourage you to be smarter than many.

When you get here, reach out and we’ll get some folks together and share some BBQ.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring your checkbook. Prices of homes in north dallas are crazy
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll be working at Baylor University Medical Center in downtown.
We were looking in the Garland and Mesquite area some but open to suggestions. I have a buddy in Dallas and he told me about the prices in North Dallas.
We are mostly looking for a small home with a yard for the dog and reasonably (as much as possible) priced
Any areas/places to avoid?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing south of I30 until you get to Waxahachie or Forney.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were looking in the Garland and Mesquite area some but open to suggestions. I have a buddy in Dallas and he told me about the prices in North Dallas.
We are mostly looking for a small home with a yard for the dog and reasonably (as much as possible) priced
View Quote

I would not want to be in Garland.  But I am a snob.   It’s not that the area is all bad.  I just don’t like the layout  and mix of what’s around.

Any Kids that you have to worry about for schools?  School boundaries can be tricky in the DFW area if you don’t understand them.  This is why some cites can have a home that cost 100,000 or more  less the next street over.

Have you looked south of Dallas yet (Waxahacie area).  You can still get some homes with large lots for much less.   It would also be a straight shot up 35 to Big Baylor.

You can also start to look west towards the Coppell / Grapevine area.   It would be a little bit of a drive but not to bad with the new toll roads depending on the time of day you go.  I can make it from the Coppell area to the American Airline center in downtown area in around 30 min or less at 5pm.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Don’t know what the prices are like now, but the M Streets north of Baylor and the Lakewood area east of there have some nice neighborhoods, especially if you don’t have kids in school.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don’t know what the prices are like now, but the M Streets north of Baylor and the Lakewood area east of there have some nice neighborhoods, especially if you don’t have kids in school.
View Quote

Prices are way up but that's the best place for access to Baylor area and also good recreational stuff around the lake.  I'd be looking for the smallest house in Lakewood or Lake Highlands, even if you only do a few yeas there, you are pretty sure to be okay on appreciation.  Note that the Gaston-Grand-Garland Road intersection (3G) is about to go under construction for a couple years or so, so think about alternate routes..
We are building a lot of nice apartments around there and up along 75 that would work too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you want to buy my house?

I'm serious, actually. We're near Royal Lane and Greenville Ave. 1,380 sq foot house, 1/4 acre lot, built in 1961.

Let me know if you might be interested. I'll tell you everything I know about the house and the neighborhood. I won't BS you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to the hood.  My wife is a department chair at the TAMU next to BUMC.  She commutes from our place in Garland out on I-30.  She's ok with the drive,  though construction at 635 and 30 may cause her to revise that opinion.

We bought out here in '98 after looking in a bunch of areas.   We got the same house and yard as places north of Dallas that cost a $100k more.  But it's Garland.  It's the butt of jokes and our politicians are Barneys.  We like the area.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Pm sent!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#12]
2ARealtyGroup

This is site staff JLA. I’d hit him up for help.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you very much for the real estate help!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Bite the bullet and maybe go Rockwall/Heath

I work in Dallas and live in Plano

If you are in anesthesia or surgery specially, you will be getting there really early so AM traffic won’t matter

Out at 4pm or later traffic sucks until after 6pm

Consider getting a house in a decent area and just sucking up the drive

Just Stay in the call room when you are on call instead of going home
Depending on situation and call back frequency

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you are in anesthesia or surgery specially, you will be getting there really early so AM traffic won’t matter

View Quote

Im going to be in the ER and our shift start times at 6 am, 2pm, and 10 pm so hopefully will help with avoiding the traffic. My wife and I are looking about 25-30 min outside the city in smaller suburbs and ill just do the drive, i dont mind that part.
Thank you everyone for the advice!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
pm @JLA for some assistance.

When I worked downtown, we lived in Rowlett.  We liked the community, and the commute was not too bad once I figured out a good route that avoided I30.

There are some nice neighborhoods there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Im going to be in the ER and our shift start times at 6 am, 2pm, and 10 pm so hopefully will help with avoiding the traffic. My wife and I are looking about 25-30 min outside the city in smaller suburbs and ill just do the drive, i dont mind that part.
View Quote

With those shifts you will be wide open on your location.  The only will be the random snow / ice days we get every couple of years.   You can handle that by staying the night before at a hotel or whatever setup Baylor will do depending on the expected weather.  My suggestion would be to fun a nicer area that will hold or appreciate in value to make you immune to any economics or politics.

How many days a week are you looking at?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With those shifts you will be wide open on your location.  The only will be the random snow / ice days we get every couple of years.   You can handle that by staying the night before at a hotel or whatever setup Baylor will do depending on the expected weather.  My suggestion would be to fun a nicer area that will hold or appreciate in value to make you immune to any economics or politics.

How many days a week are you looking at?
View Quote

Usual schedules in the ED are about 22 days a month with a mix of all the different shifts, other rotations in the ICU and other places tend to be more 6 days a week. I would rather live in a smaller area outside of Dallas so if anyone has some smaller suburbs or town recommendations, we would love to hear them!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Houses that were $250k a couple years ago are $750k-million in that area now. Insane. Avoid. I live in that neighborhood and it is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Usual schedules in the ED are about 22 days a month with a mix of all the different shifts, other rotations in the ICU and other places tend to be more 6 days a week. I would rather live in a smaller area outside of Dallas so if anyone has some smaller suburbs or town recommendations, we would love to hear them!
View Quote

How long you going to be at Baylor and what are your plans after your allowed to go off on your own?  The reason I am asking is I have seen to many new docs get trapped in a house.  Some areas are almost guaranteed to be a quick sale with little chance of loosing money after a couple of years.   Depending on what you say will depend on recommendations on where to look.

Also do you need to worry about your wife commuting?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I spent my life and career driving in/around all of DFW. I would take a look at Ferris Tx. if you're only going to be at Baylor for a few years. Ferris straddles I-45 about 20 miles south of Dallas proper. Smaller town with no big issues like many suburbs in DFW. It's boring. It's cheap. The commute from there to Baylor will be by far the easiest you'll find considering your shift times. The freeway was finished years ago and the "growth" in DFW has not happened so that the freeway is terribly undersized like all the others. Ferris is not a hotbed of up and coming professionals BUT from a lifestyle perspective it is very quiet. You can even go farther south if you needed to. The drive will take you through the WORST sections of Dallas but the freeway is elevated or otherwise isolated from the rich and vibrant areas. I-45 takes you to within a mile or less of Baylor.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How long you going to be at Baylor and what are your plans after your allowed to go off on your own?  The reason I am asking is I have seen to many new docs get trapped in a house.  Some areas are almost guaranteed to be a quick sale with little chance of loosing money after a couple of years.   Depending on what you say will depend on recommendations on where to look.

Also do you need to worry about your wife commuting?
View Quote

Wife works from home and I have been thinking about the whole getting stuck in a house thing. We will be there for at least 3 years but are planning on living in the north Texas or Oklahoma area for the future and wouldn’t mind staying in the Dallas area for a few years after residency. We aren’t looking for a fancy house, just enough for us, dog, and we plan on adopting so a kid or two during that time.
I have been looking at Forney, TX as that’s about a 30 min drive from downtown and it is much more affordable than anything in Dallas proper.
It’s a little tough to make a decision because of the current political climate and if the housing market crashes, we don’t want to be screwed over (more than our future already is).
Looking at renting vs buying, renting prices are between 1600-2k for the area and type of housing we want to live in so it should be a bit cheaper to have a mortgage if we are able to buy.
I appreciate all the advice from everyone!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have been looking at Forney, TX as that’s about a 30 min drive from downtown and it is much more affordable than anything in Dallas proper.
View Quote

My wife has a few colleagues who live in Forney.  They love the area.  Unfortunately US-80 kind of sucks from both traffic and road condition POVs.   We'd love to live East of Lake Ray Hubbard, but the commute has been the recurring veto.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Rent a house for the first year, get a feel for what areas of town you like.  I would NOT rent an apartment under any terms.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I spent my life and career driving in/around all of DFW. I would take a look at Ferris Tx. if you're only going to be at Baylor for a few years. Ferris straddles I-45 about 20 miles south of Dallas proper. Smaller town with no big issues like many suburbs in DFW. It's boring. It's cheap. The commute from there to Baylor will be by far the easiest you'll find considering your shift times. The freeway was finished years ago and the "growth" in DFW has not happened so that the freeway is terribly undersized like all the others. Ferris is not a hotbed of up and coming professionals BUT from a lifestyle perspective it is very quiet. You can even go farther south if you needed to. The drive will take you through the WORST sections of Dallas but the freeway is elevated or otherwise isolated from the rich and vibrant areas. I-45 takes you to within a mile or less of Baylor.
View Quote

Yeaaaaa, don't stop for gas along the way.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rent a house for the first year, get a feel for what areas of town you like.  I would NOT rent an apartment under any terms.
View Quote

We are looking at either renting or buying a house. I have had my fill of apartment living
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Atlanta is the same way, dont get off the highway if you are south of I-20 is the rule of thumb....
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bravo!! You chose a great specialty.  I am biased though having been an ER nurse for years.
Your start times are pretty sweet.
Unsolicited advice.

Get your locker set up right at work and make every day easier as you keep the stuff you need at work. Keep a change of clothes, shave shower kit ,  so you can change and go out to dinner meetings, happy hour journal clubs etc without having to go home first.  You will look and smell better than all the slobs who show up in scrubs. Attendings notice these things.  Or used to.
You are in for exciting times and experiences others can’t imagine.
Best wishes and congratulations.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bravo!! You chose a great specialty.  I am biased though having been an ER nurse for years.
Your start times are pretty sweet.
Unsolicited advice.

Get your locker set up right at work and make every day easier as you keep the stuff you need at work. Keep a change of clothes, shave shower kit ,  so you can change and go out to dinner meetings, happy hour journal clubs etc without having to go home first.  You will look and smell better than all the slobs who show up in scrubs. Attendings notice these things.  Or used to.
You are in for exciting times and experiences others can’t imagine.
Best wishes and congratulations.

View Quote

Thank you so much for the advice! We are planning on living a bit outside Dallas so it will make a huge difference not having to go home.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Atlanta is the same way, dont get off the highway if you are south of I-20 is the rule of thumb....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before I knew the area, I stopped for gas in da hood. I was wondering why I was gawked at when I went into the convenience store. I caught on when I saw the bullet/fire/bollard protected pod inside the store where the cashier was.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 on the Ferris area.  Have lived here for many years and lived near Rockett (between Ferris and Waxahachie) for 5 years before that.  

Commute to downtown Dallas is relatively easy and probably the best you’re going to find if you want to be out of the mess a little ways.  I made the commute in every day up until the last couple of years when I went semi-retired and more work from home oriented.

Ferris is quiet but growing.  Still has a neighborly feel though.

That said we are moving soon but not because there is anything wrong with the area.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Ferris currently has NOTHING. One small Brookshire's Bros grocery store that's TINY compared to what you'd expect in standard grocery store, let alone a super Walmart.

You're gonna go to Seagoville, Red Oak, Waxahachie or Ennis for any real shopping (Walmart/bigger grocery stores). And even then, only Waxahachie has Lowes/Home Depot. The South Dallas I45 corridor has nothing. Hutchins has nothing, Wilmer has nothing.

There's a handful of small non-chain restaurants that are hit or miss on quality. A drug store, a doctor's office, funeral home, Jack -in Box, Dairy Queen and a Taco Bell.

That said, some dude with a few thousand acres just died and that's all scheduled to be developed into some sort of master plan residential area. If that blows up, then maybe we'll see the retail catch up, but I'm thinking that's 5 to 10 years away.

There's a food truck with boiled shrimp that blows through Ferris once a month, that's about the biggest thing in that town right now to attract outsiders, and the company that runs that food truck in building a restaurant is Red Oak, so I imagine that will go away once the restaurant gets opened.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#33]
The Ferris water tower has always killed me.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#34]
OP,,,,I was trying ONLY to solve your commute issue and not ALL the other issues you'll face. As for living in Ferris running to another town for food/entertainment will be an easy deal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP,,,,I was trying ONLY to solve your commute issue and not ALL the other issues you'll face. As for living in Ferris running to another town for food/entertainment will be an easy deal.
View Quote

We have started looking more east Dallas in the Rowlett, Rockwall, Forney, and Terrell areas. I don’t mind a bit of a commute because I use that time to call family or listen to stuff like sermons or podcasts etc.

The housing market is just crazy. We put in an offer on a house that was listed for 226k and it had 20+ offers some of which were cash offers 30k over their asking price.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We have started looking more east Dallas in the Rowlett, Rockwall, Forney, and Terrell areas. I don't mind a bit of a commute because I use that time to call family or listen to stuff like sermons or podcasts etc.

The housing market is just crazy. We put in an offer on a house that was listed for 226k and it had 20+ offers some of which were cash offers 30k over their asking price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have started looking more east Dallas in the Rowlett, Rockwall, Forney, and Terrell areas. I don't mind a bit of a commute because I use that time to call family or listen to stuff like sermons or podcasts etc.

There are tons of people trying get into a house for under 300 grand, and very few house available at those prices. I feel for you.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but let me point out that there is one practical route to Dallas from the Rockwall area, and that is I-30. I'm sure you noticed Lake Ray Hubbard. If there is a wreck or any other issue on that bridge, there is no going around it.

Contrast that with the Lewisville area, where I am from. Traffic still sucks getting to and from Dallas, but you're not confined to one road. A lot of people hate the tollways, and for good reason, but they at least provide options in that region.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#37]
https://www.apartments.com/4310-trellis-ct-dallas-tx/dnbwngh/

Check this out, OP. Two bedroom, one bathroom house, a stone's throw away from Baylor, for $1600 a month.

Many here would tell you that you'd be crazy for even considering such a place. Maybe you'd agree. I would respect that.

I'm just sayin' as a person who loves Dallas, and has had many fun and outstanding experiences here, that if I were young and in your shoes I'd snatch this place up in an instant.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.apartments.com/4310-trellis-ct-dallas-tx/dnbwngh/

Check this out, OP. Two bedroom, one bathroom house, a stone's throw away from Baylor, for $1600 a month.

Many here would tell you that you'd be crazy for even considering such a place. Maybe you'd agree. I would respect that.

I'm just sayin' as a person who loves Dallas, and has had many fun and outstanding experiences here, that if I were young and in your shoes I'd snatch this place up in an instant.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't want to sound discouraging, but let me point out that there is one practical route to Dallas from the Rockwall area, and that is I-30. I'm sure you noticed Lake Ray Hubbard. If there is a wreck or any other issue on that bridge, there is no going around it.
View Quote

This.

Which is exactly why we're just west of the lake.  We'll move further east when my wife retires.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
One more suggestion with regard to renting. I know you said you're over apartment living, and I totally get it, but consider The Village.

Living there is kind of a rite of passage for anyone who's ever lived in Dallas. My wife and I lived there before we bought our house, from 2004-06. It's uncanny how many people you run across who've lived there at one point or another.

We still go down with our kids to walk around the Village "Lake". They're adding tons of amenities as we speak. It's really a good area, and it would put you within a few miles of Baylor. If traffic sucks on 75, you can always take Greenville Ave.

Just a thought.
https://www.thevillagedallas.com/
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#41]

No way!!!!!
I have never seen that. Looks like..... never mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top