Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2021 7:21:17 PM EDT
Moving to another state in April and will have to surrender my FOID and CCL.  So, I have two questions in the hopes that somebody who has actually done this might know the answers based on experience.  If you have an opinion of what you "would or would not do" in this circumstance, please state where you found the guidance for that decision as I have a real life and career and can't risk destroying either because of some landmine hidden in the statutes somewhere.  Something as simple as being pulled over in Illinois with my firearms in the car on moving day as an out-of-state resident would probably generate a lot of questions.  Figured it might be a good idea to have some of the answers in advance as I doubt law enforcement would be very familiar with that situation.    

1. I have a current CCL but the ISP portal (Illinois) says that I will have to apply for a non-resident CCL, essentially having to start the process over . . .   any idea how lengthy that process is or what I may need to re-accomplish?  Was hoping to have a CCL to bridge the gap until I can obtain one from my soon-to-be new state of residence.  

2. Since I'm going to need to get a drivers license in my new state so that I'm eligible to apply for my CCL there, my second question is whether I can store my firearms in Illinois as an out-of-state resident until such time that the movers arrive to pack up the bulk of our household goods.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What state are you moving to? That will help a lot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Texas
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
1) @SwanHunter I expect would be better able to provide an answer.  I believe you need to take a class, submit the application with cert, pay the fee and wait like everyone else.  IANAL. IL residents are taking months (and often many more months). There have been a few who discussed this process moving to an approved state at IL Carry.  Of interest though that cames to mind  is if you need to retake the same class you took as an IL resident and submit a new cert from a class thats going to cover the same material or could use same cert...

Not sure if the FCCL statute covers this in any detail.  I expect not.

2) Once moving, how long does TX give you to get a resident DL?  I think IL gives you 90 days if moving here.   If items get moved before you get  TX DL, you would still be storing as an IL resident, no?   IANAL.  Once you get the TX DL, in theory, they take your IL license, notify IL who will cancel the current CCL.

Once becoming a TX resident with TX CCL, you do have the legal option for concealed vehicle carry until you have your IL FCCL.

IL FCCL
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

(c) A resident of a state or territory approved by the Department under subsection (b) of this Section may apply for a non-resident license. The applicant shall apply to the Department and must meet all of the qualifications established in Section 25 of this Act, except for the Illinois residency requirement in item (xiv) of paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Section 4 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. The applicant shall submit:
       (1) the application and documentation required under Section 30 of this Act and the applicable fee;
       (2) a notarized document stating that the applicant:
           (A) is eligible under federal law and the laws of his or her state or territory of residence to own or possess a firearm;
           (B) if applicable, has a license or permit to carry a firearm or concealed firearm issued by his or her state or territory of residence and attach a copy of the license or permit to the application;
           (C) understands Illinois laws pertaining to thepossession and transport of firearms; and
           (D) acknowledges that the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Department and Illinois courts for any violation of this Act;
       (3) a photocopy of any certificates or other evidence of compliance with the training requirements under Section 75 of this Act; and
       (4) a head and shoulder color photograph in a size specified by the Department taken within the 30 days preceding the date of the application.
   (d) In lieu of an Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card, a non-resident applicant shall provide similar documentation from his or her state or territory of residence. In lieu of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the applicant shall submit documentation and information required by the Department to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, including an affidavit that the non-resident meets the mental health standards to obtain a firearm under Illinois law, and the Department shall ensure that the applicant would meet the eligibility criteria to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification card if he or she was a resident of this State.
   (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
       (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
       (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
       (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
   If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't have to surrender shit.  Let it expire and then throw it away.  You don't have to inform anyone of anything.  Just apply for CCP in texas.  Why are you making this more complicated than needed?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Josey, it must be complicated for you.  Re-read my questions identified as 1 & 2.  Neither of those asked for guidance about what to do with my FOID or CCL once change of residency took place.  If you have anything constructive to add to the thread, let us know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You started off by saying you have to surrender your cards.  You don't.   Then you have storage concerns.  Shouldn't matter. As long as either foid or ccl are good,  no issue. If you move to a state that has no foid, you can store guns there or Illinois.  Hence my comment on over complications. Furthermore,  any out of state person can transport firearms through Illinois.   You list a bunch of actions and concerns that are irrelevant.  No one would know the wiser if your cards were still good.  Even with requesting out of state DL in process.  Is it seriously going to take your movers s year to move your stuff?  If no, why worry?

Pointing that out is constructive for people who learn that their thinking is misguided and way off from reality.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
When my wife and I moved to MO...the day we left Illinois we mailed our FOID and CCL to the Springfield, IL. office. We sent it to them so it had to be 'signed for'... with a letter explaining we were moving to another state. In MO anyone can carry if you're not a felon or such. But I took my MO CCW permit so I am allowed to carry in some normally prohibited places such as our state capital, country buildings, etc.
  I know of two stories I read from either ISRA or GunsSaveLife about people being hassled by the IL State Police when pulled over in Illinois after they moved and had an out-of-state drivers license. They were told they were supposed to surrender their FOID/CCL licenses when they moved. Just a heads up.
  And we did get a formal letter from the IL State police that they received our FOID/CCL cards. Best letter I ever received from them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You are not a resident of Texas until you apply for and receive your Texas drivers license. Keep your Illinois licenses until at least then.

That should cover you during your move. If you wish to send them back afterwards, please feel free to do so, but if your are no longer a resident of Illinois,
why would you care what the laws are in a place you no longer reside in?

Illinois does list Texas as a state in which you may apply for an out of state non resident CCL, but unless you plan on visiting here a lot and really need to,
there are lots of other states that allow non residents and Illinois is only good here.

Good luck in Texas and yes, I am jealous of you moving to a free state and getting out of here!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
In theory current ISP practice and listed on FAQ, is that you turn in your card   (or in another theory it could be revoked too...but they dont even have time to process apps!).   ISP wants to add a moved/surrender option but the odds of that happening though through JCAR, ILGA Bill or FixTheFOId act I dont see likely in the near future. Reports are some get cards suspended while others have nothing happen.

Can IL law require enforcement in another state? Early on, ISP claimed they would be issuing warrants if a revoked card not turned in, but never heard of actually happening for an address change out of state.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Once you get your Texas DR. lisc. you can apply for the $300 Non-resident CCl.  You should be able to use your current training.  As a non-resident, there is no problem with storing your guns in IL till you move.

Remember that you can have loaded in your vehicle or private property when visiting IL if you are legal to carry in your home state.
Enjoy your freedom!!!!!!!!!
Mike Rowe
IllinoisCarry.com
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to all for the advice on my situation.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In theory current ISP practice and listed on FAQ, is that you turn in your card   (or in another theory it could be revoked too...but they dont even have time to process apps!).   ISP wants to add a moved/surrender option but the odds of that happening though through JCAR, ILGA Bill or FixTheFOId act I dont see likely in the near future. Reports are some get cards suspended while others have nothing happen.

Can IL law require enforcement in another state? Early on, ISP claimed they would be issuing warrants if a revoked card not turned in, but never heard of actually happening for an address change out of state.
View Quote

Logged in on the ISP website and mine shows as active. Moved in October and switched drivers license in November or December. I just tossed mine, no sense wasting postage and all. I could have kept it I guess. I've heard of people using them to buy ammo after leaving the state since IL requires a hunting license for non adjacent states to purchase ammo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]
When I left Illinois and moved to Missouri, I received a letter from the Illinois State Police stating my CCL  was revoked and I needed to turn in my carry permit within 48 hours of the receipt of the notice, however, the notice didn't come until I had applied for a Missouri driver's license. The revocation was due to me no longer being an Illinois resident. I turned in my CCL and my FOID to the ISP and received, by request, a written receipt from the ISP officer I surrendered my permits to.

I would suggest not doing anything until Illinois contacts you. That way, you still have a carry permit until you have the left the state. I would think once you apply for a Texas driver's license, Illinois will contact you and demand surrender of your carry permit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I left Illinois and moved to Missouri, I received a letter from the Illinois State Police stating my CCL  was revoked and I needed to turn in my carry permit within 48 hours of the receipt of the notice, however, the notice didn't come until I had applied for a Missouri driver's license. The revocation was due to me no longer being an Illinois resident. I turned in my CCL and my FOID to the ISP and received, by request, a written receipt from the ISP officer I surrendered my permits to.

I would suggest not doing anything until Illinois contacts you. That way, you still have a carry permit until you have the left the state. I would think once you apply for a Texas driver's license, Illinois will contact you and demand surrender of your carry permit.
View Quote

Just sent you basically the same info in IM. That’s what happened when I moved to IN. Took ISP 3 years to send me the letter
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I moved to MO and got my new DL 2 years ago. Still have not heard a thing from ISP.
I personally think you are over thinking it.
I still. have my FOID  and CCL card as souvenirs I am not giving them up Period.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Over thinking it.

You're an Illinois resident until you hit 90 days and obtain your Texas DL. Don't worry about sending shit back to the morons in Springfield. Worry about obtaining citizenship to a better state and GTFO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
You're supposed to give your FOID back?

Nah, I fucking paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I should add that this occurred in early 2019, right after the Aurora factory shooting. The ISP officer I surrendered my permits to told me they had a big crackdown on revoked carry permits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top