Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2021 1:57:02 PM EDT
I am FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY leaving NY, starting my leo career down south. I need to transport my riffles and pistols and I am not sure what is the best and safest way to do it.

1) I might be able to squeeze then in my locked security cabinet (the long guns which include quite a few AR's) into the back of my SUV. My thinking if the cabinet stays locked, no ammo is in it and I leave all the AR's separated (the lower and upper) I should be good. The ammo (a bunch of ammos cans) would be on the floor in the back. Pistols will be in their manufactures cases they were purchased in chamber open with cable locks in one big box taped up. I am able to CC in every state on the way down besides Maryland (I'd pull over and lock it up), the Maryland portion of my trip will be about 2 hours.

2) Let me movers handle in it their tractor trailer. I informed my mover (who is licensed and listed on dot's web site) what they would be transporting and they stated its not a problem but I don't like the idea of the firearms leaving my sight. From a damage stand point but also from a "I'm sorry we got broken into and your gun safe got stolen but nothing else" kind of ordeal.  Am I over thinking it or am rightfully being nervous about having movers handle that stuff.

Ive never used a big cross country mover and I of course am watching it be loaded I am taking a inventory and documenting the contents with video and pictures AND doing the same as the they load it onto the truck. I couldn't live with myself if the guns went missing and then used in a crime.

Or do you think they'd be secure enough for me to have no worries.

I also don't want to be driving 15+ hours and be stopped for some b.s and a cop giving me a hard time even though I am transporting them legally while only stopping for gas, to use the bathroom and to rest.

If anyone has moved before or knows someone with firearms that has moved before please chime in. I want to do the right thing all the way around.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations on the escape from NY!

Option #1 is what I would do.  Keep everything in my possession and only I am in control of it.  
Blanket over everything then throw some trash on top so it looks like you are living in the car (Homeless Camo, if you like) (Trash bags, empty plates, cups, fast food bags, half a slice of pizza or half eaten burger...).

No overnight hotel stops and keep vehicle in your sight at all times while truck stop eating.  Pee stops on side of exit lanes.

Bill

Quoted:
1) I might be able to squeeze then in my locked security cabinet (the long guns which include quite a few AR's) into the back of my SUV. My thinking if the cabinet stays locked, no ammo is in it and I leave all the AR's separated (the lower and upper) I should be good. The ammo (a bunch of ammos cans) would be on the floor in the back. Pistols will be in their manufactures cases they were purchased in chamber open with cable locks in one big box taped up. I am able to CC in every state on the way down besides Maryland (I'd pull over and lock it up), the Maryland portion of my trip will be about 2 hours.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY leaving NY, ...
View Quote
+1

Looking forward to the day that I can say that. Hopefully before I take a draw on my 401K and New York gets its grubby hands on my retirement funds
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1

Looking forward to the day that I can say that. Hopefully before I take a draw on my 401K and New York gets its grubby hands on my retirement funds
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY leaving NY, ...
+1

Ny and Sleepy joe will get it... so leave now... don't wait.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Option #1 all day long.
Gas up and make sure all's ok before going through Maryland.
Have a safe trip.

SJC
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If your taking i-95 and going thru the tunnel inn MD take i81 instead less time in md and avoid all the traffic in the dc area.. just on i81 in va when the speed drops to 55 do it for the 10 miles. They will nail you for speeding.. you can connect backup on i95 if needed by cutting over below dc. or stay on and go down i85 i dont know what state you will be ending up the i81 is much better ride along with no tolls.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If your taking i-95 and going thru the tunnel inn MD take i81 instead less time in md and avoid all the traffic in the dc area.. just on i81 in va when the speed drops to 55 do it for the 10 miles. They will nail you for speeding.. you can connect backup on i95 if needed by cutting over below dc. or stay on and go down i85 i dont know what state you will be ending up the i81 is much better ride along with no tolls.
View Quote

Agreed, I took 85 on my last trip down, and loved it.  I have not driven down in decades now, only go for short trips via flights.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
The I-81 route south is way better than 95. Also avoid I-85 south in SC like the plague, tons of construction and traffic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top