Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2020 12:54:22 PM EDT
I read this and it confused me.  I dont think it matters for anything but I wanted clarification.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/drafting-error-causes-confusion-over-shockwave-fix

The Shockwave Issue

The problem with the Shockwave and similar firearms is that while they are legal under federal law, they are illegal under Ohio law. Sean and I wrote an article explaining the Shockwave problem back in May 2018.

Here's how Sean explained it:

2923.11(F) of the Ohio Revised Code provides: "(F) Sawed-off firearm means a shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen inches long, or a rifle with a barrel less than sixteen inches long, or a shotgun or rifle less than twenty-six inches long overall." Emphasis added.

The Mossberg Shockwave has a barrel length of 14". Accordingly, with a barrel of less than 16" long, it is considered a "Sawed-off firearm" under Ohio Law. In Ohio, there is no barrel length exception, even with an overall length of 26” or greater. So how is it legal in some states?

----

The part that says the sawed off means a "shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen inches long" but in the write up it says "The Mossberg Shockwave has a barrel length of 14". Accordingly, with a barrel of less than 16" long, it is considered a "Sawed-off firearm" under Ohio Law"
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That has been corrected and they are now good to go in Ohio

JLE
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#2]
They are legal under federal law because they do not fall under the federal definition of shotgun or short barrel shotgun, they fall under the definition of the catch all term “firearm”.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top