Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2023 5:36:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: URSATDX]
Mid 60's to early 70's our family had a cabin on the lakefront road to Mt. Kineo.

For the 1st few years the only access was by boat from Rockwood. (16 ft wooden boat w/ a 50 era's 2 stroke at night with 8 aboard)

Dad was fing nuts!

Later on Scott Paper came in we could drive in going through Greenville. Baxter State Park Rd(?).

Lost Mom recently and Dad (89) told me he'd like to see the old cabin again.

Looking to stay on or near the lake and take a day drive in to see the old place.

Any thoughts on where to stay, local, close to Koakadjo? The Trading Post seems close.

Thanks from New Jersey .

Can I bring a rifle?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can bring a rifle just be sure to abide by any laws travelling here. We have constitutional carry as well.

I would rent a cabin from Fred and Marie at the Kokadjo Trading Post or if you're looking for hotel life Kelly's landing in Greenville Junction isn't bad.
You could also stay in Rockwood at the Birches if you were willing to drive a bit more.

Not sure when you were last up there or when you'd be coming but be forewarned Greenville is not what it used to be. It's chock full of flatlanders and money from Massachussetts and points south.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperAir:
Yes you can bring a rifle just be sure to abide by any laws travelling here. We have constitutional carry as well.

I would rent a cabin from Fred and Marie at the Kokadjo Trading Post or if you're looking for hotel life Kelly's landing in Greenville Junction isn't bad.
You could also stay in Rockwood at the Birches if you were willing to drive a bit more.

Not sure when you were last up there or when you'd be coming but be forewarned Greenville is not what it used to be. It's chock full of flatlanders and money from Massachussetts and points south.
View Quote

Thanks SA. I sent an email to Kokadjo TP and am waiting for a response.
It's been almost 50 years so I'm sure a lot has changed.
Looks like the road to Kineo seems relatively untouched (Google Earth).
Thanka Again
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure you can actually drive there anymore. There were some changes in lot ownership on that side and it was back to being that you need to take the ferry from Rockwood if you want to hike Kineo. You might want to check on that. I'm sure the folks at Kokadjo are up to date with info.

If you have to stay on the Rockwood side, Misty Morning Cottages are simple but decent and just up the street from the ferry terminal. The Birches are up there and some other places too, but stuff up there is pretty full very early now.

Do yourself a favor and avoid the weekend of the fly-in at all costs. Over an hour to get through Greenville last year.

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Maine_11B_to_Nurse:
I'm not sure you can actually drive there anymore. There were some changes in lot ownership on that side and it was back to being that you need to take the ferry from Rockwood if you want to hike Kineo. You might want to check on that. I'm sure the folks at Kokadjo are up to date with info.

If you have to stay on the Rockwood side, Misty Morning Cottages are simple but decent and just up the street from the ferry terminal. The Birches are up there and some other places too, but stuff up there is pretty full very early now.

Do yourself a favor and avoid the weekend of the fly-in at all costs. Over an hour to get through Greenville last year.

View Quote

Thanks,
Think I've found a way in.
Dad will be happy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What the deal with the train derailment?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By URSATDX:
What the deal with the train derailment?
Thanks
View Quote

About halfway from Rockwood to Jackman. Not really near either town. Nothing major, a washout on the tracks. A handful of freight cars and the locomotives went over and the lumber caught fire. Nothing toxic except fuel for the locomotive. The tank cars stayed on the tracks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Booked 3 nights a Kokadjo Fathers day weekend Sat thru Monday.
I'll try to get to the Kineo access road to see the old cabin.
Maybe rent a boat for a day to fish.
Any suggestions on what else to see?
Thanks

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By URSATDX:
Booked 3 nights a Kokadjo Fathers day weekend Sat thru Monday.
I'll try to get to the Kineo access road to see the old cabin.
Maybe rent a boat for a day to fish.
Any suggestions on what else to see?
Thanks

View Quote

It's worth the modest drive to visit the B-52 crash site, if you've never been.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Code_Name_Eric:

It's worth the modest drive to visit the B-52 crash site, if you've never been.
View Quote

Thanks,
Sounds good.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Arrived at Kokadjo after 10 hour drive from Jersey. Staying 3 nights.
Drove to the Kineo access road today. Ended up at the gated entrance at Pebble beach.
Our old cabin was about 3 -4 miles at the other end of the road. A bit too far a walk for my Dad.
Found our way to the locked gated access at the other end. Dad (88) and I walked to see the old place.
Spent 5 hours in the Tundra to and from Kokadjo.
Things have changed a bunch in 50 years.
Bucket list for both of us.
Thanks for those who helped.
God Bless America.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#12]
A bit of an adventure.

I'm glad you are able to make the trip.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#13]
That's awesome! Glad you made it up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Leave in the AM.
Great trip. Great State.
Took a drive North towards Baxter State Park today.
F'ing trucks a mess. Lot's of logging going on.
Kokadjo cabins was great. The place was clean and big for two.
Back to NJ tomorrow.
Again, Thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top