Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2021 1:32:33 PM EDT
Just got my monthly Verizon bill for home phone service.
Last month it was $49.52 for a single line with unlimited long distance. Included were all the miscellaneous taxes and fees.
This month the bill is $93.21 for the same service and all the bullshit taxes and fees.
That's an increase of $43.69, or 74.96 percent.
Verizon (and the State Corporation Commission) did a masterful job of keeping this rate increase under wraps. I've talked
to 3 people who have Verizon home phone service, and none of them knew anything about this rate increase in advance.
I'll be on the phone to the SCC tomorrow morning about this, but I'm sure that there is not a damn thing that can be done.
I have Consumer Cellular as my cellphone provider. It looks like I'll have to get another cell phone and tell Verizon to suck
a fat one. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $93.21 for home phone service when another cellphone will cost me just $25 or so.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait until you "renew" the tags on your vehicles.

"Highway use fee"

I guess the Commonwealth is looking for "fair and equitable distribution" of telephone service now too.

Dropped land line several years ago - it's just not "worth it".

It is an upside down clown world.

I fear it's NOT going to get any better, any time in our future.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to check with the SCC tomorrow and see if there is another service provider that I can get
to provide me with home phone service. I like the fact that I have 4 phones in the house (bedroom,
den, living room and kitchen). Having another cellphone to carry around would be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I miss the clarity of a landline in the house but Verizon can kiss my ass. I watched my landline bill slowly creep from 50 to 100/mo and that was enough.
Years ago, I actually had a "lady" chew me out over the phone for not upgrading from DSL to Fios. So I dropped their "service" and kept the prepay Verizon cell. Now I'm noticing the time I have to buy air time is becoming more frequent but for the same usage. Time to find another prepay carrier. You would think with the number of customers they have, they would not be so predatory. I wont miss them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
We dropped our land line about five years ago because of the cost.  We never used it and all we got were spam calls on it.  If you have reliable cell service in your area there really is no reason for a land line unless you have a business.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Try Basic Talk.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine has not doubled but if it does, it's going to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Got the notice for our bill a few minutes ago.  Went to the website to check our account.

It went up $10 this month - for the internet fees.  Just an increase.  No details/reasons why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top