Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2021 12:46:50 PM EDT
Has anyone set one up already?  I can start one and get the ball rolling.

We need a way to communicate away from ARFCOM.

Update:
I have established a Signal group for Montana comms.  Please IM me if you wish to join.  Longtime members or confirmed face-to-face referrals only at this time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discord is a shit liberal company. They hire people so toxic that Facebook won't even have them. Check out Keybase instead.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
How about setting up a group on Telegram?

Keybase is part of Zoom.. no way I would trust that for anything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about setting up a group on Telegram?

Keybase is part of Zoom.. no way I would trust that for anything.
View Quote

Well, sort of. Keybase was acquired by zoom in an effort for zoom to improve their security. There haven't been any updates to keybase since they were acquired and they have said they aren't sure what the future is. But at this time it still works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
If we can agree on a service, I'll get one started.  I admit I don't know shit about who owns what but we need a source of communication for the locals.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I like this idea.

Zero knowledge of what’s out there, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know much about the options besides being on a few discord servers with some friends, but I'm in if something gets started. I don't post here much but I probably should
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Standing by. Ready to step up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Either Telegram or Signal.

We also have Statewide 2M amateur radio repeaters.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in as well. I would suggest @'ing everyone in this thread when something is set up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only problem with Signal is everyone can see phone numbers.

Is Telegram the same?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is Telegram the same?
View Quote

If you click on their profile, yes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is Telegram the same?

Well fuck it, maybe a little less anonymity will keep the undesirables away.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in for whatever we do. How about we just keep it to those that are absolutely known, ie, met in real life and are trustworthy.

I'd trust Tothemax, but the ladder that he let me borrow was a Harbor Freight brand, so I think he's trying to kill me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]
See update to OP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't been to any face to face meetups, but next time there's either one in Bozeman or one on a weekend, I'm in. Need to meet some like minded people out here!.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has anyone set one up already?  I can start one and get the ball rolling.

We need a way to communicate away from ARFCOM.

Update:
I have established a Signal group for Montana comms.  Please IM me if you wish to join.  Longtime members or confirmed face-to-face referrals only at this time.
View Quote
I've been hanging back from getting involved I guess it is time to change that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I just found out today that Gab has an encrypted chat service now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

@elcope

I've got my own little aprs repeater/igate set up in the pintlers, but we don't have any voice comms out of our county. I've seen you doing work on repeaters up there. Know anyone to talk to about trying to get something running down this way.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@elcope

I've got my own little aprs repeater/igate set up in the pintlers, but we don't have any voice comms out of our county. I've seen you doing work on repeaters up there. Know anyone to talk to about trying to get something running down this way.

View Quote

Yeah, I saw your repeater set-up in the HF comms thread in GD, that's pretty freaking cool. At least with an APRS Igate, you have some connectivity with the outside world.

KI7XF maintains a database of repeaters for the State and surrounding areas, but I'm not sure ihat info he may have for your area. He also has an excel spreadsheet of them that he'll email to you for easy programming.

http://www.fvarc.org/sites/default/files/library/20130816_MT_VHF_Repeater_Map.pdf

http://www.fvarc.org/sites/default/files/library/20130816_MT_UHF_Repeater_Map.pdf

At one point, I know there was a 6M repeater in the BZN area that you might be able to it if it's still there. Let me do some research or see if I have it linked on an old hard drive. Of course, you'd have to have a 6M radio, and those aren't too common.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, I saw your repeater set-up in the HF comms thread in GD, that's pretty freaking cool. At least with an APRS Igate, you have some connectivity with the outside world.

KI7XF maintains a database of repeaters for the State and surrounding areas, but I'm not sure ihat info he may have for your area. He also has an excel spreadsheet of them that he'll email to you for easy programming.

http://www.fvarc.org/sites/default/files/library/20130816_MT_VHF_Repeater_Map.pdf

http://www.fvarc.org/sites/default/files/library/20130816_MT_UHF_Repeater_Map.pdf

At one point, I know there was a 6M repeater in the BZN area that you might be able to it if it's still there. Let me do some research or see if I have it linked on an old hard drive. Of course, you'd have to have a 6M radio, and those aren't too common.
View Quote

So, I'm in the flint creek valley in Granite Co. And, unless you go into the mountains, we are a complete dead zone. Zip. Nada. I have to drive for a minimum of 25 miles to even hit a voice repeater. We don't even get Noaa broadcasts here, and can't even get TV signals. It's a 20 mile drive to pick up an am station.

I found a piece of private property on a ridge that the owner was cool enough to let me set up my aprs stuff. I can hit missoula, helena, anaconda and such from the spot. And he's actually asked me to put up a tower. I'm going to put up a tower on my own dime. I also have a shed to put there. I also have an extra 2kw solar setup with 900ah of power I'm donating to the cause. A snowmobile club gave me a gmrs repeater. I also got my set up down for my aprs repeater/gate where it's fully functioning and has a greater uptime and throughput than even the missoula stuff.

But, what I'm looking for is voice. 2m or 70cm none of these little radios are cutting it. None of my consumer grade stuff is cutting it. And I'd like to look for a more commercial type setup really. Because when I set it up for voice for just 5 people to do a net, voice completely shuts down the system. Like, I can change frequencies woth dtmf, but I'm actually having to go hard reset the setup when voice shuts it all down.

It's not that knowing how to use repeaters is the problem. It's the fact that I need to know how to actually build one. And, thats what I'm lacking.

One of the cool things is that I got a second starlink setup to put up there. And I'm trying to get it running with the gmrs repeater, and actually have an igate in the hills, rather than coming back to my basestation. The only problem I'm running into is power. My solution now is a pelican case, but I'm gonna need an actual building up there to store the power components for it all to run. But, I still don't know what I'm doing with a voice repeater.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So, I'm in the flint creek valley in Granite Co. And, unless you go into the mountains, we are a complete dead zone. Zip. Nada. I have to drive for a minimum of 25 miles to even hit a voice repeater. We don't even get Noaa broadcasts here, and can't even get TV signals. It's a 20 mile drive to pick up an am station.

I found a piece of private property on a ridge that the owner was cool enough to let me set up my aprs stuff. I can hit missoula, helena, anaconda and such from the spot. And he's actually asked me to put up a tower. I'm going to put up a tower on my own dime. I also have a shed to put there. I also have an extra 2kw solar setup with 900ah of power I'm donating to the cause. A snowmobile club gave me a gmrs repeater. I also got my set up down for my aprs repeater/gate where it's fully functioning and has a greater uptime and throughput than even the missoula stuff.

But, what I'm looking for is voice. 2m or 70cm none of these little radios are cutting it. None of my consumer grade stuff is cutting it. And I'd like to look for a more commercial type setup really. Because when I set it up for voice for just 5 people to do a net, voice completely shuts down the system. Like, I can change frequencies woth dtmf, but I'm actually having to go hard reset the setup when voice shuts it all down.

It's not that knowing how to use repeaters is the problem. It's the fact that I need to know how to actually build one. And, thats what I'm lacking.

One of the cool things is that I got a second starlink setup to put up there. And I'm trying to get it running with the gmrs repeater, and actually have an igate in the hills, rather than coming back to my basestation. The only problem I'm running into is power. My solution now is a pelican case, but I'm gonna need an actual building up there to store the power components for it all to run. But, I still don't know what I'm doing with a voice repeater.
View Quote

If you have access to suitable private property to place a repeater, all it takes from there is money and time.

Here is the thread where I helped place one on Werner peak lookout, NW of Whitefish, a few years ago. All the pic links in the initial post are broken, but the rest are there.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Helped-set-up-a-repeater-antenna-tower-/22-692401/

If you want, I can ask Don (WR7DW) the repeater owner the exact details on equipment and costs. It is solar powered and usually lasts until Feb or Mar until the snow covered panels won't charge it and the batteries become depleted.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#24]
3910 nightly at 2100mst ? I'll start Weds night?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Been on here awhile but mostly lurk on everything online related.

Hoping this year to finally meet up with Tothrmax and that should provide a referral point for joining. Or Elcope.

Problem is I work and rarely leave my little corner of nowhere
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#27]
disregard
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I couldn't get the Signal link to work.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like I'm waiting to get in now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Ironically, I am having issues with this site starting this afternoon.  Noticed that when I do get it, it is now AR15-Backup.com..  Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ironically, I am having issues with this site starting this afternoon.  Noticed that when I do get it, it is now AR15-Backup.com..  Interesting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#32]
It may be a good idea to save this info somewhere on your computer if the DNS gets attacked again. These are the IP addresses that are resolved through DNS and you can manually setup your router or computer to locally resolve them if needed.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ar15.com 3.138.255.236
ar15.com 3.20.37.167
ar15.com 3.139.193.203

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cdn.ar15.com 99.86.35.88
cdn.ar15.com 99.86.35.83
cdn.ar15.com 99.86.35.80
cdn.ar15.com 99.86.35.8
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you.  Well I'll be..  All sorts of funny business going on. Seems a bit wide spread of late.. Standing Signal up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Seems like a lot of people are suddenly interested in alternate comms.  A couple other groups I belong to are also working on networks/rosters.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quite a bunch of my contacts have been jumping on alternates this week. Now if I could just get them into radio.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Seems like a lot of people are suddenly interested in alternate comms.  A couple other groups I belong to are also working on networks/rosters.
View Quote

I've spent 3-5 hrs+ the last 7 days answering questions / doing comms checks on Ham radio. Probably 200+ texts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quite a bunch of my contacts have been jumping on alternates this week. Now if I could just get them into radio.
View Quote

Bro, I'll send some your way.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Same,  I'm trying to resist dropping the money on an ICOM 7300 and antenna to listen to HF on until I can upgrade to a general license.  HOA means no outdoor antennas, so I'd have to go with something like a fan dipole in the attic unfortunately.  

My wife is thrilled about me researching another expensive hobby
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Bro, I'll send some your way.
View Quote
LOL.  I find it funny that I know one ham in Helena, and we converse via email. LOL  We live within simplex HT range too!  Maybe I should get him to try some 80m NVIS on Olivia or something.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I was thinking about setting up a local TAPRN network (packet), but figured that would be the only node.  I talk to myself enough already!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've spent 3-5 hrs+ the last 7 days answering questions / doing comms checks on Ham radio. Probably 200+ texts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll bug you soon enough.

Studying for my Technician test. HTs inbound.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I’ll bug you soon enough.

Studying for my Technician test. HTs inbound.
View Quote

That's what I'm here for.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Ironically, Signal has been down quite a bit today.  Telegram is still up and working, at least for now.  Signal must be getting hammered.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ironically, Signal has been down quite a bit today.  Telegram is still up and working, at least for now.  Signal must be getting hammered.
View Quote

OK, that explains my phone not blowing up 18 hrs a day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the purge siren set as my incoming text notification,the other night when all of you were talking about thetwos neighbors and the mountain lions and bears,I was almost ready to unsubscribe...lol
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have the purge siren set as my incoming text notification,the other night when all of you were talking about thetwos neighbors and the mountain lions and bears,I was almost ready to unsubscribe...lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I changed the notification for that thread to a silent one. Buzz only
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I changed the notification for that thread to a silent one. Buzz only

Slap some sandpaper on the back of your phone and toss it on your hardwood floor for a zero effort refinish....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I am in the way far top right corner of the state, but I do get out to the Flathead occasionally.

Not sure about HAM radio up here. There used to be some old guys that were into it.

Going to have to do some asking around.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top