Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
At least he deemed the gun stores essential. Lucky me got deemed essential. So much for my dreams of a vacation from work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep I just saw the headline. Something about essential activities only. Groceries, medical, outdoor (as long as people keep their distance), work, etc.

Man that stinks about unemployment. Let us know if you need help with anything.
View Quote

Will do.  So far, we are golden.  Wife can work from home, so we do have that going.  

Waiting to see if I get pulled over.  We have her elderly mom in Missoula, and both hers(tribal) and wife's(VA) meds come to the PO Box in town.  We are now having to check on her at least 4x a week.  We do have eyes on the house, but her mom is a total hermit.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Take care guys, I'm in Colstrip, working at the power plant. supplying power to the west coast mainly. quite a large supply in MT though. Let me know if anyone needs help with bills or anything.

edit: Gary Marbut? whats your screenname? Tothemax? i need to re-up on my subscription.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a Dr appt Monday morning for my neck. I’m gonna cry like a Hillary voter in Nov 16 if I can’t make that appointment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Caught a blip on KPAX.  First death in MT from C-19.  No further details than this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm guessing they will just end the school year and not send kids back..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 week extension on school closure

I'm guessing they will just end the school year and not send kids back..

My kids have been getting work sent home from their teachers since the end of the first week at home.
Quite a bit of online stuff, and my oldest submitted a writing assignment through Google Docs. I'll be picking up more books and worksheets from the school, this afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
This guy rocks!

https://www.facebook.com/austin.knudsen.5

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Went into town today to do some errands and buy some supplies for some home improvements. Stopped by the following;

Local tire shop
Ace Hardware
First Interstate Bank
Home Depot
Costco
Super One Foods
Local landscape/green house/nursery

Every single one will be open next week.

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Got this from the NRA-ILA

NRA-ILA Grassroots

To opt out of NRA-ILA FrontLines emails, click here

Montana: Anti-Gun Govenor Bullock issues Executive Order in response to COVID-19

Governor Steve Bullock’s recent Executive Order 3-2020 designates “…firearm and ammunition suppliers and retailers...” under “Essential Businesses,” exempting them from being shut down during this state of emergency. While the governor and U.S. Senate candidate has been openly hostile to gun rights in the past by:

1) Vetoing firearm preemption and self-defense legislation,
2) Penning an op-ed in support of so-called “universal” background checks, extreme “red flag” laws and bans on standard capacity magazines,
3) Voicing his support to ban certain semi-automatic firearms, saying they “are not used for self-defense.”

Order 3-2020 does not close gun stores during the current COVID-19 outbreak. As NRA reports here and here, the governor’s usual anti-gun ideology is highly problematic in these uncertain times.  His continued quest for elected office obviously forced him to do the right thing in this singular case. NRA members and supporters throughout the state are advised to keep a close eye on the governor and maintain the pressure to keep gun stores open.    

The Second Amendment is the law of the land, and your NRA-ILA has been working hard in other jurisdictions that are using the pandemic as an excuse to strip Americans of their fundamental right of self-defense. We can’t let our guard down in Montana with a governor who so clearly doesn’t believe in our freedom.

Your NRA will continue to monitor the situation and alert you to any important developments.

Yours in Freedom,

Zach Anderson
NRA-ILA
Grassroots Field Coordinator, Northwest Region
(703) 708-4487
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Are fast food And take out places gonna be open still?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are fast food And take out places gonna be open still?
View Quote

Don't know about your area, but some in Missoula even closed their drive-thru.  

Found out today I am "job attached unemployed".  Just waiting on the boss man to send me some info, then off to sign up online.  We are hoping it's only a couple of weks, but they've heard rumblings it may go on as long as 30-45 days before it's over.  Owner is keeping our BC/BS paid, though.  He fought tooth and nail to get us an exemption, as golfers gonna golf, corona be damned.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't imagine they would close those down. Thats a lot of business that would be put out....

View Quote

Among so many others, they are already suffering enough. I seriously doubt that their sales are anywhere near normal. I know that the general sentiment from businesses in this area is that if they have to close their doors, they won't reopen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Among so many others, they are already suffering enough. I seriously doubt that their sales are anywhere near normal. I know that the general sentiment from businesses in this area is that if they have to close their doors, they won't reopen.
View Quote

4B's in Missoula just did last week.  Friend of ours was a waitress there, and they have been debating closing since the Wye location closed.  They just used this as an excuse to finally drop the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what .gov does to help them out along with how many will be in business post virus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't imagine they would close those down. Thats a lot of business that would be put out....

Yeah it will be interesting to see what .gov does to help them out along with how many will be in business post virus.

The better question might be how much and for how long can .gov help? With so many businesses shut down, so many people out of a job - without revenue coming in and taxes being paid, where do they get the resources to provide the help? Each day, more restrictions are being put in place, and we hear about the potential for prolonging all of it.

Quoted:
4B's in Missoula just did last week.  Friend of ours was a waitress there, and they have been debating closing since the Wye location closed.  They just used this as an excuse to finally drop the hammer.

That's the biggest problem. How many other businesses were teetering on the edge over closures, or considering replacing large parts of the work force with automation? While many brick-and-mortar closures and job cuts were inevitable, this situation certainly seems to be accelerating it all. There is all this talk about "flattening the curve" for the health industry, but it seems like the consequence is sharpening a different spike, that is permanently disrupting a lot of peoples' lives and livelihoods.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, boss laid me off on past Friday after I just brought the place up to snuff and cleaned everything. He decided to not honor my salaried position nor allow me to use vacation pay to cover me for the mandatory shutdown ordered by Bullock. Our business has functions that require daily maintenance and record keeping to comply with health department regs, so this doesn't make sense. Just after I left work Friday, he sent me a text saying he wants me to come in three days a week to do testing and to add chemicals plus continue working from home on my logs/paperwork.....without pay. This makes me a bit torqued and upset. Unemployment isn't gonna cover my financial needs. Has anyone heard whether or not there was supposed to be added benefits to COVID-19 displaced workers forced onto unemployment? I saw in GD that we're supposed to get an additional$650 per period or something, not to mention the $1200 Trump buxs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, boss laid me off on past Friday after I just brought the place up to snuff and cleaned everything. He decided to not honor my salaried position nor allow me to use vacation pay to cover me for the mandatory shutdown ordered by Bullock. Our business has functions that require daily maintenance and record keeping to comply with health department regs, so this doesn't make sense. Just after I left work Friday, he sent me a text saying he wants me to come in three days a week to do testing and to add chemicals plus continue working from home on my logs/paperwork.....without pay. This makes me a bit torqued and upset. Unemployment isn't gonna cover my financial needs. Has anyone heard whether or not there was supposed to be added benefits to COVID-19 displaced workers forced onto unemployment? I saw in GD that we're supposed to get an additional$650 per period or something, not to mention the $1200 Trump buxs.
View Quote

From my understanding the stimulus bill makes your unemployment benefit 100% of your last wages instead of basing it off of previous quarters wages at 53%.

You will get the regular amount of unemployment benefits from the state (about 53% of what you make) and the $600.00

Article with a little more info.

http://www.madisoniannews.com/coronavirus-updates/stimulus-package-breakdown

Good luck.

Directly from the MT. Dept. of Labor

http://dli.mt.gov/Portals/57/Documents/covid-19/employee-FAQ.pdf?ver=2020-03-26-155411-993

After reading that I want to get laid off,I would be making more than I am now putting in 40 a week
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just after I left work Friday, he sent me a text saying he wants me to come in three days a week to do testing and to add chemicals plus continue working from home on my logs/paperwork.....without pay. This makes me a bit torqued and upset.
View Quote
Just a bit? That chicken**** POS couldn't even say it to you directly, but texted it! He can do his own *** **** testing and logging if he doesn't want to pay for that ****! EFF THAT MOFO! That is BS!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a call to L&I is needed.  Working without pay is a Federal no-no.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]
1st known case in musselshell county yesterday.
Have a bunch of family in the area plus all over MT.

Stay safe everybody.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From my understanding the stimulus bill makes your unemployment benefit 100% of your last wages instead of basing it off of previous quarters wages at 53%.

You will get the regular amount of unemployment benefits from the state (about 53% of what you make) and the $600.00

Article with a little more info.

http://www.madisoniannews.com/coronavirus-updates/stimulus-package-breakdown

Good luck.

Directly from the MT. Dept. of Labor

http://dli.mt.gov/Portals/57/Documents/covid-19/employee-FAQ.pdf?ver=2020-03-26-155411-993

After reading that I want to get laid off,I would be making more than I am now putting in 40 a week
View Quote
Thanks m1awolf, appreciate the info I'll read it tonight. It's been an interesting day to say the least, I definitely get what you're saying about being laid off with extra $$ but remember....the IRS taxes unemployment benefits (unless you have them taken out) when you file for this yer. I've no clue though, whether the additional funds are tax free
Quoted:
Just a bit? That chicken**** POS couldn't even say it to you directly, but texted it! He can do his own *** **** testing and logging if he doesn't want to pay for that ****! EFF THAT MOFO! That is BS!
View Quote
While I agree with your sentiment and subdued anger, texting is how we actually do most of our communication. Since he's the owner, he's not around much and I have to follow certain protocols when doing my job. So, that means texting because he isn't availble for verbal conversations all the time.
Quoted:

Sounds like a call to L&I is needed.  Working without pay is a Federal no-no.
View Quote
I must be honest, I don't know what L&I is. My initial perception, is that he was playing on my loyalty and work ethic.But in retrospect it appears when coupled with the determination to lay me off to save money and not let me use my PTO, it was to optimize his financial situation and still protect his business.

Well, it's Wednesday and I just got back from a job interview with a well established company and well known that specializes in plumbing, HVAC, black pipe gas line installation and other necessary services. It's been designated as an essential service company and is exempt from the closures and shelter-in-place orders. Although I'm not certified by the state or labor unions, I have extensive experience in each of those fields. We spoke for about two hours and went over various aspects of whether or not I would fit in their company. By the end, I had found out that there was much about this company that is completely in line with my faith/belief system/personal values/political inclinations. The owner is conservative/2A supporter/Trump fan that loves guns/fishing/hunting and is apparently family orientated. The company is a family owned business that promotes from within, gives raises, allows for profit sharing on business that is negotiated by the employee doing the job. We discussed a lot of different subject matter, more than I anticipated. By the end, they said they'd like me to come aboard as a full-time employee. They were impressed and like who I was because of my demeanor/ethics/knowledge/beliefs. The owner was very happy with what he had heard and definitely wanted me as part of their team for the coming future, he offered immediate hiring if I was interested and liked what they had to offer. The salary is less than what I was making, but they've offered full benefits after a six month probationary period, a retirement/pension program they contribute to, a company truck  (equipped with tools and parts)/gas, partial uniforms (with hoodies and a jacket to boot) and training.  The six month reduction of wages and waiting for benefits to kick in is daunting. But, after adding everything together, it would be about what I'm making now if I had actually used my last negotiated raise for healthcare as I asked for. The training I would need would be paid for or provided to me without cost to me. I asked them for a couple of days to evaluate their offer and would give them an answer by Friday, which they agreed to.

As much as I enjoy what I'm already doing and the freedom/autonomy I have at my current job, there's no real advancement or future...not to mention zero reimbursement for use of my vehicle and personal cellphone during work hours. Add to that the COVID-19 closure, I have no idea when I could return to work. There was not a formal written commitment (verbal only) from my boss to have me return once the governor ended the closure for our business type. Yet, I'm still conflicted because of my sense of loyalty, our friendship, the six years I've been there and honestly, the fact I feel comfortable there. The down side is everything I've mentioned before and the immense stress I bring home every day. It's already cost me my marriage indirectly and that needs to never happen again. I tend to live to work instead of working to live, and I want to change that. I want a life and what it allows me. Maybe it's time for a new direction and a fresh start on all fronts. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and input.

@m1awolf
@bbies1973
@Lone_Eagle

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#26]
MTShooter...new gig sounds promising, hope it works in your favor.

At this point, I think any job with a paycheck is a good job to have.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 4:00:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I must be honest, I don't know what L&I is.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and input.
View Quote

I'm guessing here: Labor & Industry, as in the Department of? It is probably a form of fraud to have someone working while collecting unemployment, SS, or some other form of compensation for being "unable to work".

As for the rest of it, it's your choice in the end. I'm guessing you already know what you want to do, and are just hoping for confirmation.
Based on my earlier reply, you should already know which direction I would go, as well.

Sometimes the light of hope shines brighter, when your world is at it's darkest.
I was working for DoD in Europe when 9/11 happened. For various reasons, they shuttered anything that was outside of a base and considered not "mission essential". Troop morale, was considered "non-essential", and the Rod & Gun Club store that I was running had only recently been moved off base. That meant I was part of that sacrifice. I had no idea what I was going to do, my world was dark and uncertain. Long story short, I found a new job/career when the security/safety industry opened it's doors in the wake of 9/11. I took a pay cut for almost 2 years before finally getting back up to what I was earning with DoD, but was able to come back home to Montana in the process. Sometimes, its about more than just the amount of the paycheck. I can't imagine where I might be, or what I might be doing right now, if it hadn't been for those events taking place. I'm just grateful for my situation, now.

Here's a couple questions for you to consider: Is that six months with the new job really any more volatile than the current situation with the old one? If you look past that scary six, what do you see? Two, five, ten years from now?
Being completely honest, the job market is kind of scary right now. The fact that you're able to find someone hiring at all, for what sounds like a respectable trade job, just might be a sign in itself. Right now, you have a choice that a lot of people don't.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm guessing here: Labor & Industry, as in the Department of? It is probably a form of fraud to have someone working while collecting unemployment, SS, or some other form of compensation for being "unable to work".

As for the rest of it, it's your choice in the end. I'm guessing you already know what you want to do, and are just hoping for confirmation.
Based on my earlier reply, you should already know which direction I would go, as well.

Sometimes the light of hope shines brighter, when your world is at it's darkest.
I was working for DoD in Europe when 9/11 happened. For various reasons, they shuttered anything that was outside of a base and considered not "mission essential". Troop morale, was considered "non-essential", and the Rod & Gun Club store that I was running had only recently been moved off base. That meant I was part of that sacrifice. I had no idea what I was going to do, my world was dark and uncertain. Long story short, I found a new job/career when the security/safety industry opened it's doors in the wake of 9/11. I took a pay cut for almost 2 years before finally getting back up to what I was earning with DoD, but was able to come back home to Montana in the process. Sometimes, its about more than just the amount of the paycheck. I can't imagine where I might be, or what I might be doing right now, if it hadn't been for those events taking place. I'm just grateful for my situation, now.

Here's a couple questions for you to consider: Is that six months with the new job really any more volatile than the current situation with the old one? If you look past that scary six, what do you see? Two, five, ten years from now?
Being completely honest, the job market is kind of scary right now. The fact that you're able to find someone hiring at all, for what sounds like a respectable trade job, just might be a sign in itself. Right now, you have a choice that a lot of people don't.
View Quote
The answers to your questions are very important. The six month period shouldn't be more volatile for my situation than it currently is. I have determined through prayer and self-introspection that it is something I can do because I'm trusting God and having faith He will provide my needs, everything else will fall into place. Looking pass the six months, I can see a good future and a prosperous opportunity unfolding. All the positives I mentioned are very important to me, the benefits are multi-faceted in nature and fruitful in many capacities. I just found out today, they encourage employees to carry and protect themselves and will also reimburse me for my cellphone (since it's used for work purposes). You are correct, I am blessed that a door was opened to me during a time of tumultuous upheaval and societal reorganization. I don't take this with any sense of self-importance nor hubris, I am humbled by what my God has blessed me with. As of tomorrow, I will be starting a new chapter in my life and moving forward in my journey of life. This current situation and the trials of the past year, have brought me closer to God and my faith has grown. This road I'm traveling will be full of tests and trials, but He will also provide and protect me as I show my faithfulness to Him. I realized more so now than before, He has a plan and it's up to us to walk with Him.

@bbies1973
@Techsan02
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, Labor and Industries.  Forcing an employee to work without pay violates Federal Law, as well as most state laws.  With the shutdown going on due to kung flu, he doesn't want to make many waves, if you catch my drift.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The answers to your questions are very important. The six month period shouldn't be more volatile for my situation than it currently is. I have determined through prayer and self-introspection that it is something I can do because I'm trusting God and having faith He will provide my needs, everything else will fall into place. Looking pass the six months, I can see a good future and a prosperous opportunity unfolding. All the positives I mentioned are very important to me, the benefits are multi-faceted in nature and in fruitful many capacities. I just found out today, they encourage employees to carry and protect themselves and will also reimburse me for my cellphone (since it's used for work purposes). You are correct, I am blessed that a door was opened to me during a time of tumultuous upheaval and societal reorganization. I don't take this with any sense of self-importance nor hubris, I am humbled by what my God has blessed me with. As of tomorrow, I will be starting a new chapter in my life and moving forward in my journey of life. This current situation and the trials of the past year, have brought me closer to God and my faith has grown. This road I'm traveling will be full of tests and trials, but He will also provide and protect me as I show my faithfulness to Him. I realized more so now than before, He has a plan and it's up to us to walk with Him.

@bbies1973
@Techsan02
View Quote

I think you speak for a lot of us,I pray that enough of our fellow Americans realize this and he hears our prayers to heal our land...

ETA congrats on the new job,I hope it is indeed the beginning of a better future for you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes, Labor and Industries.  Forcing an employee to work without pay violates Federal Law, as well as most state laws.  With the shutdown going on due to kung flu, he doesn't want to make many waves, if you catch my drift.
View Quote

I believe I do, but in consideration of all that's transpired it might not be a good idea to confront with this issue. I've decided to take the job that's been offered. In the long run, there are more opportunities to be had there and the company climate more closely reflects my values than my current job. As daunting as taking a reduction in salary is, if I tried to use this job offer as jump-off point to leverage a raise or actual benefits...I can see it blowing up in my face or being used against me in the future. It saddens me that a company I've dedicated six years of my life to, didn't see enough worth in me to secure my position and offer employment protection. I do understand, more now than before, that for my boss/company owner his bottom line current and future was more important than me as an employee. It is not the responsibility of the government to care for me, and for him to just infer go on unemployment and relax is not my philosophy for life. I wish him well and will tell him so when I inform him I won't be returning and pick up all my tools/equipment. I don't want to burn bridges if I can help it. What he did, is something he will have to reconcile with himself, not me. I've tried to be loyal and ethical in my work for him, so this was an affront to me and difficult to accept. He has been a good friend and hopefully still will be, but that decision is his to make. I am at peace with my decision/course of action.

@Lone_Eagle
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think you speak for a lot of us,I pray that enough of our fellow Americans realize this and he hears our prayers to heal our land...

ETA congrats on the new job,I hope it is indeed the beginning of a better future for you.
View Quote

Thank you, @m1awolf, I appreciate it. I have concerns and thoughts but I'm capturing them so they won't be a snare unto my works. You are correct and this scripture came to mind when I read what you wrote...

2 Chronicles 7:14 King James Version (KJV)

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I believe I do, but in consideration of all that's transpired it might not be a good idea to confront with this issue. I've decided to take the job that's been offered. In the long run, there are more opportunities to be had there and the company climate more closely reflects my values than my current job. As daunting as taking a reduction in salary is, if I tried to use this job offer as jump-off point to leverage a raise or actual benefits...I can see it blowing up in my face or being used against me in the future. It saddens me that a company I've dedicated six years of my life to, didn't see enough worth in me to secure my position and offer employment protection. I do understand, more now than before, that for my boss/company owner his bottom line current and future was more important than me as an employee. I wish him well and will tell him so when I inform him I won't be returning and pick up all my tools/equipment. I don't want to burn bridges if I can help it. What he did, is something he will have to reconcile with himself, not me. I've tried to be loyal and ethical in my work for him, so this was an affront to me and difficult to accept. He has been a good friend and hopefully still will be, but that decision is his to make. I am at peace with my decision/course of action.

@Lone_Eagle
View Quote

Sounds like you have a solid eject plan there.  However, if he's doing it to you, how many other employees is he doing it to?  They can file a complaint if they want to, and can do so anonymously.  Just some food for thought there.
@MTShooter
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you, @m1awolf, I appreciate it. I have concerns and thoughts but I'm capturing them so they won't be a snare unto my works. You are correct and this scripture came to mind when I read what you wrote...

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the one I was referring to..
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
@Lone_Eagle

As far as I know, the company technically only had four full-time employees (including myself) and none of them were asked to do work without compensation, just me. My job was the only one that was answerable to governmental agencies and my license dependent on compliance. If there was any type of compensation implied for my possible efforts, I didn't see/hear it. Nothing as far as job affirmation was written down, it was just verbal. All other employees were laid off and told to file UI for funds and not asked to come in to work unpaid. Should I hear of any, I will tell them of what you've mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That was the one I was referring to..
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Somebody went hot in Sidney today.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:49:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Somebody went hot in Sidney today.
View Quote

You mean the CoViD diagnosis?
I went looking for a news report on a shooting when you said "went hot"...

EDIT: Let's hope it doesn't end up like Toole County's story.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I saw this in the gazette and thought it was pretty cool. I know a lot of companies are making these so it's nothing new but Billings Flying Service is a pretty cool bunch of guys. They have chinooks, blackhawks, hueys , etc and they fight fire all over the world. They even help out with S&R here in Yellowstone co. Pretty cool that they could engineer something like this.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/local/engineers-at-billings-flying-service-work-with-neurosurgeon-to-build-ventilator/article_6dac9992-5cc5-5f05-9631-8aefd750ccc0.html
View Quote

That is super awesome!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:35:07 AM EDT
[#41]
It actually looks fairly simple. A basic ventilation "bag" and a mechanical hand to squeeze it, instead of a person.
That's some nice outside-the-box kind of thinking.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah. I wonder how much it costs to make.
View Quote

You can buy a pair of servos with pinion and rack combined from robotics suppliers (they often call it a linear actuator) that will do the job for $150-160. Knowing what these guys regularly do, they are probably using a much more expensive servo. You wouldn't need the expensive one, but it's likely what they have laying around.

The plastic parts: the ram (for lack of a better name) that presses on the bag, the housing for the servo, and guide for the ram, etc. They most likely 3D printed this one, which is expeditious for a prototype, or possibly laser cut (since that was specifically mentioned in the article). If I had to make a large batch of them, I would cast the parts. Resin casting will make more pieces in less time than 3D printing, and without that startup time and cost of injection molding. After the initial setup of making molds, you're looking at just a few $$ worth of good quality urethane resin to cast those parts. Smooth-On Urethanes run for a couple hundred per gallon, less in bulk. Each mold would be able to drop parts every hour and half to two hours, depending on the skill of the person casting, and how many molds they are working at a time. Then, finish curing and tempering could be done by baking them overnight and the parts ready for use the next day. If they can laser cut these parts from blocks, I have no idea what kind of production rate they would have. I would guess it probably rivals casting.

The electronics part is the big question, needing a power converter, servo controller, PCB, display, etc. plus software to run it all. I would estimate they're likely in the $200-$300 range, possibly more. If I were to try it for myself, I would have to go with a servo controller that interfaces with an android app, which means around $100 in parts, before buying a smartphone to attach to each respirator. They probably have access to something cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top