Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2022 3:56:14 AM EDT
Just curious how the permit process works in Montana? I'm an instructor in Colorado and wondering if Montana will take training from an NRA instructor(either NRA sanctioned or not sanctioned but still taught by an NRA instructor) in Colorado? I have a couple students wanting to train here but use the training cert for proof of training in Montana. I dont want to waist their money of it won't help them get their permit in Montana. Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
CCW training requirements are pretty relaxed in Montana. Even a hunters ed card is sufficient. See 3(b) for the relevant part.

But it’s also worth noting that Montana is a constitutional carry state now. Having a permit does allow you to carry a few more places but it really doesn’t make a huge difference anymore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't look into that. CO accepted my FL CCW Class certificate back in 2008. Moved to AZ in 2019 and they would never answer my question asking if my CO permit counted, so I took a class. Moved to MT Jan 2021, and they accepted my AZ permit. All 3 states have a very relaxed process, but MT was probably the most relaxed. It also goes by county here like in CO. AZ was sent to the State.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks gentlemen!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CCW training requirements are pretty relaxed in Montana. Even a hunters ed card is sufficient. See 3(b) for the relevant part.

But it’s also worth noting that Montana is a constitutional carry state now. Having a permit does allow you to carry a few more places but it really doesn’t make a huge difference anymore.
View Quote

Except for background checks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or when traveling to a non-Constitutional carry state.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Both of those reasons are why I'll continue to maintain mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or when traveling to a non-Constitutional carry state.

Both of those reasons are why I'll continue to maintain mine.

Plus no NICS checks when buying firearms from an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. Those are the reasons I got mine in AZ when we moved there, then MT when we moved here. I made sure to get mine before visiting family in GA last year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m an NRA instructor and they took my instructor card. I have a Texas LTC but said it wasn’t necessary with the NRA card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top