Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2022 1:00:30 AM EDT
My son is turning 15 in a few weeks and asked if I'd take him riding for a couple days in Moab. I know nothing of the area and would be driving from Northern California via Las Vegas. Any Do's or Don'ts or places to avoid? We'd probably try and just grab a room somewhere within 30 minutes and fill the non-riding time with hiking, shooting or lounging around. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to know---I appreciate it. I'm trying to coordinate with what I'm sure is some significant heat out there and the start of his school year. Thanks again I'll check it out!
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m trying to see the differences between Arches and Moab…it’s a little overwhelming…I just wanna take my kid riding for a couple days…
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I ride Moab a few times a year, preferably January through May before the tourists and the heat, February and March are my favorite months to be there. If I am riding there from June through September, I’m on the trails early, like 0400 early or I’m doing a night ride, riding in over 100° heat during the day in Moab can be dangerous, you will be exposed. It’s best to ride on Wednesday and Thursday to have the best chance at the trails not being over crowded. To truly experience Moab mountain biking, you would need several days, but you can definitely get a good taste with a few days of riding.

The Klondike Bluffs trails are great to get started and a fair representation of the beginner to intermediate trails throughout Moab.

Slick Rock trail is iconic but busy and very exposed, usually a good 10° warmer than forecast due to the landscape. I generally only ride it when someone in the group hasn’t and really wants to.

Horsethief and Navajo Rocks are also great trail networks for an intermediate rider.

The Whole Enchilada route is well worth the cost of entry, but you’ll need to now your limits and commit to the trails. It can be brutal.

If your coming up from Vegas, I’d recommend spending a day in St. George or Hurricane and riding Gooseberry Mesa, by far one of the most picturesque trail networks in southern Utah.

The two most important pieces of advice I can give are to have extra water and run tubeless with a couple extra tubes. Walking out with a flat while being dehydrated sucks.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By michealj:
I ride Moab a few times a year, preferably January through May before the tourists and the heat, February and March are my favorite months to be there. If I am riding there from June through September, I’m on the trails early, like 0400 early or I’m doing a night ride, riding in over 100° heat during the day in Moab can be dangerous, you will be exposed. It’s best to ride on Wednesday and Thursday to have the best chance at the trails not being over crowded. To truly experience Moab mountain biking, you would need several days, but you can definitely get a good taste with a few days of riding.

The Klondike Bluffs trails are great to get started and a fair representation of the beginner to intermediate trails throughout Moab.

Slick Rock trail is iconic but busy and very exposed, usually a good 10° warmer than forecast due to the landscape. I generally only ride it when someone in the group hasn’t and really wants to.

Horsethief and Navajo Rocks are also great trail networks for an intermediate rider.

The Whole Enchilada route is well worth the cost of entry, but you’ll need to now your limits and commit to the trails. It can be brutal.

If your coming up from Vegas, I’d recommend spending a day in St. George or Hurricane and riding Gooseberry Mesa, by far one of the most picturesque trail networks in southern Utah.

The two most important pieces of advice I can give are to have extra water and run tubeless with a couple extra tubes. Walking out with a flat while being dehydrated sucks.

View Quote

Can't thank you enough...appreciate all the great info. I'l start looking around for rooms and watching the forecast!
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top