Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2020 8:23:07 PM EDT
Check in here for updates. I'm assuming the main thread in the MOHTF found here will be the go to source, unless we want to move it here. For those not in the loop, we've been trying to do smaller get togethers per region. We are trying to plan a bigger, state wide event in central MO somewhere. We've talked about doing a longer backpacking trip as well as shorter trips and working on skill sets.

@Flak-Magnet started one for you here as I'm sure you're a bit busy at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Missouri Statewide APC hike Scheduled for 10/3 at 10am in Lead Mine Conservation Area.

The primary goal is to complete a 6 mile hike from the campground to the conservation area range in under two hours. There will be the option for a shorter 3.5 mile hike was well.

We may have the opportunity to utilize the range if it is available and then the hardcore will have the option of hiking an additional 3.5 miles to return to camp via the loop. The plan is to stage one or two vehicles at the range to shuttle people if necessary.

https://imgshare.io/images/2020/09/27/HikeRoute.png

Main thread where this is being coordinated is here.

Currently have 6-7 going and several will be camping Friday night prior to the hike.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
KCMO guys. Tomorrow, 10/12 were meeting at 5:30 for a 5 mile hike at Burr Oaks Nature Center.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Statewide APC Hike December 5th in Central Missouri with Campout the Night Before

Missouri Statewide American Pioneer Corps Ruck next Saturday the 5th in Central Missouri. The ruck will take place Saturday morning at 10am, if you are driving in that morning plan to be arriving by at least 9:30 or before. Several of us will be camping out the night before at the campground for a night of frigid fun to put us in the mood for trudging through the woods weighted down with packs and gear for no reason. There is a conservation area range available at Lead Mine, but is about 2 hours away by foot or 10 minutes of driving from the campground. The terrain is challenging with hills, but good trails. Open carry is allowed and most will be carrying long rifles and potentially in PCs. Note that for APC hiking conditions, the pack weight is required, and any optional equipment like PCs or web gear do not count.

Come prepared for a good time of fellowship and shared pain.

Time:
December 4th (Friday) - Arfcom HTF Meetup/Campout
December 5th 10am (Saturday) - American Pioneer Corps 6mi Ruck under standard hiking conditions.

Lead Mine Conservation Area Main Campground for camp and start of hike.

Driving:
The conservation area is very dark and poorly marked. For camping, if you can swing arriving before dark, it is much easier to find (Sunset is 4:51). There is very little cell signal out there. It is recommended that you download your map while you do have signal and/or familiarize yourself with the area especially if you arrive after dark. Your gps should route you onto the red road (Highway T then to orange, and then to the yellow line). If it does not, then you are likely going to the wrong place.

Weather
Camp: Low of 27 degrees. This will be a cold one. We are camping in a campground with vehicle access so you dont have to have fancy backpacking equipment. Suggest good ground insulation and lots of layers.
Hike: High of 46 degrees, when we start at 10 am I would guess we will be more around 36 degrees. I hiked last night in 39 degrees wearing a pair of surplus silkweight thermals under a flannel shirt and cotton pants. That was about right for me YMMV.

APC Hiking Conditions:
Standard:
45lb ruck not including water + any optional load bearing equipment you are wearing like PC/chest rig
or
35lb ruck not including water + rifle + any optional load bearing equipment you are wearing like PC/chest rig
Provisional:
Same as above minus 10 lbs

Tags for interested people:
@CPTCARL
@1787
@Thermos449
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top