Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2020 8:26:54 PM EDT
Any VA place names you know of that are mispronounced by non-locals?

Such as:  

Dumb fries (Dumfries = "Dum-freeze") Prince William Co.

Stawn-ton (Staunton = "Stan-tin") Augusta Co.

Mets Road (Meetze Rd. = "Meats Rd.")
Haiti Street (Haiti St. = "Hay-tie St.")  both Fauquier Co.

Par Ham Rd. (Parham Rd. = "Perm") City of Richmond/Henrico Co.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is Staunton is called Stanton as to determine who were the yellow bellied outsiders that may not have been on board with the revolutionary boog and general middle finger to the crown.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I know of two where the locals pronounce it wrong but visitors get it right.

Buena Vista - locals pronounce it bew-nah vist-ah instead of the correct bway-na veesta.

Buchanan - locals pronounce it buck- annon instead of byoo-CAN-nen like in James Buchanan.

A local weird one to my current area is catharpin.  Locals pronounce it as two words.  Cat-harpin
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Pulaski - Non-natives call it Puh-lasky. Locals call it Pew-lasky.

Powhatan - Non-natives (especially Yankees) call it Pow-HAT-un. The proper way to say it is POW-uh-tan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know of two where the locals pronounce it wrong but visitors get it right.

Buena Vista - locals pronounce it bew-nah vist-ah instead of the correct bway-na veesta.

Buchanan - locals pronounce it buck- annon instead of byoo-CAN-nen like in James Buchanan.

A local weird one to my current area is catharpin.  Locals pronounce it as two words.  Cat-harpin
View Quote

Conversely in that area they are spot on with the pronunciation of Botetourt and the locals will give you the French history as they love to pull people over on I81......I assumed it was some Appalachian twang, sounding like a desert.

The Buena Vista one is the only one that gets to me....maybe because it could've been a great little mountain town if not lead by idiots that put PD and FD up for collateral  for a failed golf course.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Rio Road in Charlottesville.  Locals pronounce it Rye-oh instead of Reee-oooh like the Spanish word for river.   It’s actually old rte 10 that got combined to r10...and then to Rio...and Rye-oh Road
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#6]
An old timer that I know in Rockbirdge county once told me about Buena Vista.   He said that during the war between the states, locals needed a way to weed out spies.  They started pronouncing it that way so that anyone who spoke differently would be outed as a northern spy.

Anyone else hear that story?  Everyone thinks that those people talk funny, but it's actually low-tech counter espionage.   Kind of cool if true.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Norfolk

Nor-fuck
Nor-folk
Naw-fick
North-fork
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
VA pronunciations are actually a thing on the internet -

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pulaski - Non-natives call it Puh-lasky. Locals call it Pew-lasky.

Powhatan - Non-natives (especially Yankees) call it Pow-HAT-un. The proper way to say it is POW-uh-tan.
View Quote

When I lived in Pa. my son came home from school and told me he needed to do a report on the Pow Hat Un indians of Virginia.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Traveling down south, I used to cross three rivers: the Matta, the Po, and the Ni.  It took half of my life to learn that the Mattaponi were an aboriginal Virginian people erased from history.  I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, but I wish this history wasn't hidden from us.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Traveling down south, I used to cross three rivers: the Matta, the Po, and the Ni.  It took half of my life to learn that the Mattaponi were an aboriginal Virginian people erased from history.  I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, but I wish this history wasn't hidden from us.
View Quote

Actually, the Mattaponi Indians have a reservation down near West Point. The Pamunkey tribe has a rez down that way also. IIRC both tribes finally got federal recognition just a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An old timer that I know in Rockbirdge county once told me about Buena Vista.   He said that during the war between the states, locals needed a way to weed out spies.  They started pronouncing it that way so that anyone who spoke differently would be outed as a northern spy.

Anyone else hear that story?  Everyone thinks that those people talk funny, but it's actually low-tech counter espionage.   Kind of cool if true.
View Quote

I have never heard that one, and my paternal grandfather was from there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Conductor is right.

I think these people and these people would be quite surprised to find that they were "erased from history."

Adding to the list of oft-mispronounced names: real Roanokers know that their city is pronounced Roan-Oak, never Row-An-Oak.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Conductor is right.

I think these people and these people would be quite surprised to find that they were "erased from history."

Adding to the list of oft-mispronounced names: real Roanokers know that their city is pronounced Roan-Oak, never Row-An-Oak.
View Quote

I have never heard anyone other than yankees refer to roanoke the first way. I have always heard it the second.
Just like Norfolk is Nor-fuk, not Nor-fok.

Edit: Actually the yankees refer to it as Ro-noke and I have always heard it as Row-a-noke
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually, the Mattaponi Indians have a reservation down near West Point. The Pamunkey tribe has a rez down that way also. IIRC both tribes finally got federal recognition just a couple of years ago.
View Quote

Quoted:
Conductor is right.

View Quote

Cool!  I did hear about the Pamunkey gaining Fed. recognition, didn't know about the Mattaponi change in status.  I learned on my own about the Doeg (Dogue) people of VA while studying NoVa history.

I went to public school, so I'm not surprised at how much I don't know.  I guess it was more important to glue macaroni to paper plates for hanging on refrigerators at home, than to learn anything of value.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Almost all of the English/UK derived names are mispronounced .
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Not mispronounced, but Backlick Road in Springfield (Fairfax Co.) - wife ALWAYS asks "Who goes around licking backs?"

I think it had something to do with deer and salt licks.

Thank goodness for the edit feature.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Locals pronounce Norfolk wrong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Norfolk

Nor-fuck
Nor-folk
Naw-fick
North-fork
View Quote

Once upon a time I heard a railway worker over a scanner say "Nawwwwfuck" and I can't say it any other way.

Quoted:

I have never heard anyone other than yankees refer to roanoke the first way. I have always heard it the second.

Edit: Actually the yankees refer to it as Ro-noke and I have always heard it as Row-a-noke
View Quote

I'm from down the valley and I always have said it as Roan-oak... am I screwed up?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Once upon a time I heard a railway worker over a scanner say "Nawwwwfuck" and I can't say it any other way.

View Quote

I grew up in Hampton, and we always referred to that place across Hampton Roads as Nawfuk.

I remember a sailor who was stationed there told me that the cheerleaders at the high school there
had a cheer that went "We don't drink and we don't smoke! Norfuk! Norfuk! Norfuk!"
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I worked with old twins from Roanoke, and their r's sounded more like w's.  I tried not to laugh whenever they said "Woe-uh-noke."
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, the original Roanokers pronounce it “big lick”.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#25]
McGaheysville

You pronounce it with a "ck"

"Mc-Gack-esville"
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm from down the valley and I always have said it as Roan-oak... am I screwed up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Norfolk

Nor-fuck
Nor-folk
Naw-fick
North-fork

Quoted:

Since I'm not from roanoke and try not to go there, I have probably heard it wrong all my life. I just find it funny.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#27]
In downtown Fredericksburg there is a Sophia St. but, it is pronounced So-Fy-Uh instead of So-Fee-Ah.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Norfolk

Nor-fuck
Nor-folk
Naw-fick
North-fork

Quoted:

RVA born,  grandparents from Halifax and kin folk back in the day in Roanoke,

always heard it pronounced Row Noke

BTW,  the natives usually get the pronunciation correct, it's those that come there later that say it wrong,

brother and I drove over to  Bueno Vista to buy an estate,  
ended up getting a pile of reloading gear, but not the pistols we were hoping for,

so we called it No Bueno Vista,

there was a good BBQ joint downtown tho
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Tar. For the black rubber things on car wheels.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tar. For the black rubber things on car wheels.
View Quote

That sounds like Front Royal. When I was in junior high, a had a buddy from Front Royal who told me that his dad had to put new tars on his car.
On Armed Forces day, his family went to a parade at Fort Marr. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out where Fort Marr was. Then I found out that
he was talking about Fort Myer.
And those metal things that you use to hold stuff with? They're called PLARS.

Ah! And a couple more: In western Loudoun, you don't go behind a bush to pee. You go behind a BOOSH.
And Purcellville, that little town on Route 7, west of Leesburg? It's PUR-sa-vul, not Pur-SELL-ville.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Norfolk

Nor-fuck
Nor-folk
Naw-fick
North-fork
View Quote

4 different ways of saying the 2nd most dangerous city in VA.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That sounds like Front Royal. When I was in junior high, a had a buddy from Front Royal who told me that his dad had to put new tars on his car.
On Armed Forces day, his family went to a parade at Fort Marr. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out where Fort Marr was. Then I found out that
he was talking about Fort Myer.
And those metal things that you use to hold stuff with? They're called PLARS.

Ah! And a couple more: In western Loudoun, you don't go behind a bush to pee. You go behind a BOOSH.
And Purcellville, that little town on Route 7, west of Leesburg? It's PUR-sa-vul, not Pur-SELL-ville.
View Quote

Oil was a three-syllable word to my late
mechanic.

Easy one in NoVA, McLean, it’s “Mclayn”, not “Mcleen.”

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Henrico.  It's pronounced Hen-rye-co and NOT Hen-ree-co.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Bumpass. No one says it right.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]
The one I find hard to believe is Charlottesville. Named after Queen Charlotte, same as Charlotte , NC. You never hear anyone pronounce them wrong but we have people here that use a hard Ch. like Char-broil. There are a few radio commercials with different people that say Char. You can tell right away they ain’t from round here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Manquin, French spelling of an Algonquin word that’s pronounced in English. Lots of other places like that.

Mank-win is current pronunciation, Mon-ku-en is supposedly the original way.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Father-in-law told me Goochland is "Goosh-lin," not "Gooch-land."  Is that how locals say it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Growing up in Fauquier County in the 70-80's provided a lot of opportunities to hear it pronounced wrong.  Fawkyear is the way it is pronounced, not Fucqueer as many tv folks would pronounce when announcing school was closed for snow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

4 different ways of saying the 2nd most dangerous city in VA.
View Quote

To be fair I think RVA, Petersburg, Newport News, and Portsmouth all rank higher these days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Father-in-law told me Goochland is "Goosh-lin," not "Gooch-land."  Is that how locals say it?
View Quote

only if they talk with a mouth full of food, or the dentures slip
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Rio Road in Charlottesville.  Locals pronounce it Rye-oh instead of Reee-oooh like the Spanish word for river.   It’s actually old rte 10 that got combined to r10...and then to Rio...and Rye-oh Road
View Quote

Came here to post this one.

Stayed for the rest of the thread.

Neat stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Botetourte

Fucking gay name
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Schuyler is pronounced Skyler.

A while back some yankee implants to the Nellysford (Nellies ford) area thought that sounded too hickish and tried to get the pronunciation officially changed to the more genteel "Nellisfurd".  That did not fly with the locals.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Norfolk

Nor-fuck
Nor-folk
Naw-fick
North-fork
View Quote

Or the occasional No-F*ck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#45]
The creek that makes up a portion of the county line between Clarke County and Frederick County is the Opequon.

I always called it the OP-uh-kwon, until I found out that the locals there call it the Oh-PECK-un.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
catharpin  kat-harp-in
View Quote
This thread has me laughing my ass off.  As a native Virginian, I've heard all of these.

I've heard catharpin spoken that way in onesies and twosies, but everyone else says 'Kath-ar-pin.'

I point out to my wife how weird it is that there are so many British names here.  Probably because old english money is still entrenched in this place.  Stafford, William street, Prince George's county, etc.  Even new subdivisions like Somerset or Berkshire.  Fucking yankees have their own country to go to; stop naming our streets after yours.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Syria (sy-ree-ah)

Verona (I think. I've heard it as "ver-onna")

oh, and

New New York ("nor-thern vir-jin-ya")
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Funny thread. I lived in MD and drove through VA more times than I can count, also spent several months in Hampton Roads so I recognize a lot of these.

In Texas we have Italy, but it's pronounced It-Lee. Actually you don't even really pronounce the T, it's more of a glottal stop.

Pedernales is pronounced Perdenales. I guess if my name started with peder I'd probably say it different too!

I went to college in Prescott, AZ - rhymes with biscuit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This thread has me laughing my ass off.  As a native Virginian, I've heard all of these.

I've heard catharpin spoken that way in onesies and twosies, but everyone else says 'Kath-ar-pin.'

I point out to my wife how weird it is that there are so many British names here.  Probably because old english money is still entrenched in this place.  Stafford, William street, Prince George's county, etc.  Even new subdivisions like Somerset or Berkshire.  Fucking yankees have their own country to go to; stop naming our streets after yours.
View Quote

you realize Va was settled by the British at Jamestown before the Mayflower?

Virginia named after Queen Elizabeth I  and was a big state for a long while,  so English names in the area are pretty much a given,

those yankees are from a similar heritage  BTW,,   they just went a bit rogue over the years
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

you realize Va was settled by the British at Jamestown before the Mayflower?

Virginia named after Queen Elizabeth I  and was a big state for a long while,  so English names in the area are pretty much a given,

those yankees are from a similar heritage  BTW,,   they just went a bit rogue over the years
View Quote

The true native folks on Tangier still speak a weird sort of Elizabethan English dialect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top