Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2021 12:49:57 PM EDT
As we're watching the left's crusade against free speech unfold, it seems inevitable sites such as ARFCOM will be targeted soon enough.  Several of us from the big riot thread have been using Telegram to chat and share news when ARFCOM goes down as it has a few times recently.  Over all Telegram works pretty slick so I have created a chat group for the Minnesota crew.  You'll need Telegram for your phone, computer, or browser which is free to download and use.

Here's the link to download Telegram: https://telegram.org/apps

UPDATE: 1/12

The group name has been changed and made private.  If you want to join please send me a PM.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Just joined.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I signed up today.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I think this is a brilliant idea for us Minnesota ARF to stay in touch. I’m a bit leery of tech though especially over the last few days. How is this being kept secure so it doesn’t get infiltrated?

Whose the hometown mn mod whom can get some comma out to other MN?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#5]
In, callsign same as here. This is a great idea, would certainly be useful to diversify into other group comms plans as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
When it asks for first and last name, are you all putting your arf username?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Signed up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn’t even have a Parler account yet...
Where do we go after we get banned?  

I signed up and posted somewhere but beyond hitting
the link in the first  post, have no clue how to use it if ARF dies.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Well.....you have another one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#12]
With amazon shutting down Parler for web services, google and apple killing there app, these guys will get shut down too. Just a matter of time. The left is stopping communications!!!! Get ready for a total blackout!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No. There is a separate place for a screen name.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about Signal?

Does that offer chat groups?
View Quote

Signal would also be a good place to set something up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:07:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think this is a brilliant idea for us Minnesota ARF to stay in touch. I’m a bit leery of tech though especially over the last few days. How is this being kept secure so it doesn’t get infiltrated?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unfortunately there is no way to make sure it doesn't get infiltrated.  We'll have to collectively moderate it and be very cautious of talking about anything we wouldn't say in public.

Quoted:

I signed up and posted somewhere but beyond hitting the link in the first  post, have no clue how to use it if ARF dies.

I put my ARFCOM user name as my first name.  Go to the privacy settings and control what you want to share amongst the group.  As for how to use it, think of it as a group text but you don't have to add someone as a contact or give up your contact info.

Quoted:
What about Signal?

Does that offer chat groups?

Signal does have a group option.  You need to know other peoples names or numbers to invite them or send the invitation link to them.

Quoted:
With amazon shutting down Parler for web services, google and apple killing there app, these guys will get shut down too. Just a matter of time. The left is stopping communications!!!! Get ready for a total blackout!!

Perhaps but it's my understanding Telegram operates their own servers and isn't opposed to free speech.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Unfortunately there is no way to make sure it doesn't get infiltrated.  We'll have to collectively moderate it and be very cautious of talking about anything we wouldn't say in public.

View Quote

Hindsight is 20/20 but would have had to send out the invite link by PM to any arf members and link them to people joining.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A new group could always be started to deal with this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hindsight is 20/20 but would have had to send out the invite link by PM to any arf members and link them to people joining.
A new group could always be started to deal with this.

First time using Telegram, but does Telegram or Signal have 1 time use invites or expiring codes?  If you really want to control the invites, any multi use code can be stole/found/shared.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I can kill the invite link at any time.

Much like here, if someone joins and starts showing their ass, we can show them the door.  It's more of way to keep in touch in the event major comms like ARFCOM go down and possibly gain more familiarity among MN members.  There's nothing top secret happening on the group.

As mentioned several of us from the big Riot Squad thread have been using it.  It works well and gives us a place to keep the discussion moving when ARFCOM has issues, which has happened a couple times recently.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Know how I know you're new here?

In all seriousness, I'm not discouraging this.  I just want to make sure everyone's expectations are clear.
View Quote

C'mon man, there are a number of threads the mods have been good about moving people along and even showing them the door for crazy talk.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think a secondary line of comms is good in event of an ARFCOM blackout.

Those of us who are HAM or otherwise can reach out over other means will be serving as hubs for info to share with the group.

If ARFCOM goes down, with tech/media otherwise shutting down the flow of info, having a backup to letting everybody know what is happening can only be a good thing IMHO. This can even mean stopping people from doing stupid/unnecessary stuff.
View Quote

If you don't have a scanner or receiver, suggest you get one and learn it. I have a few and can listen to hams and pretty much all frequencies. Even have a handheld ham radio, no ticket, in the event I would need to communicate in an emergency. If you can afford it, get a Icom R30 handheld receiver. Picks up P25 phase I just fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m over my head guys. Could someone email me what I am suppose to do. Like to stay in touch. I’m quite upset a) because things are going black b) I feel like an idiot because I don’t know what’s happening nor what to do.

Appreciate it y’all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’m over my head guys. Could someone email me what I am suppose to do. Like to stay in touch. I’m quite upset a) because things are going black b) I feel like an idiot because I don’t know what’s happening nor what to do.

Appreciate it y’all.
View Quote

See the first post, it has the links you need.  Get Telegram for your device and click the group link.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I've joined. Count me in.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Just joined.....just moved from fargo to moorhead
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a HAM base station (VHF/UHF) setup on order, 3 Baofengs (sp?) on order for short range and repeater use.

Been studying off and on for years to get my HAM license, going to get it done.
View Quote

I tried once. missed it by 1 question wrong. thought about trying again until I saw they are charging for your ticket. Won't even try now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#40]
$50 bucks for the FCC to send you you license.
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-116A1.pdf
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#41]
OST, to look at later.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Saw a post on another site that stated AR15.com was shut down yesterday. Did it happen?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you don't have a scanner or receiver, suggest you get one and learn it. I have a few and can listen to hams and pretty much all frequencies. Even have a handheld ham radio, no ticket, in the event I would need to communicate in an emergency. If you can afford it, get a Icom R30 handheld receiver. Picks up P25 phase I just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those of us who are HAM or otherwise can reach out over other means will be serving as hubs for info to share with the group.

If ARFCOM goes down, with tech/media otherwise shutting down the flow of info, having a backup to letting everybody know what is happening can only be a good thing IMHO. This can even mean stopping people from doing stupid/unnecessary stuff.

Would something like a boafeng be able to receive messages from a “command center” probably not answer back? But then have comms nearby? What would be an effective range of a cheapish baofeng?

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
First, go to this site do download a program for your computer: https://telegram.org/apps

They also probably have an apple/android app, but we all know how that goes...

After you sign up (it requires a mobile phone number, they send you a verification link). Use whatever name you want in sign up (like your user name or some BS). There will be another spot to put your user name as well.

After you are signed up, search for the group: MNPatriotchat
Use that term exactly.

After you "join chat", you are in. There is no pre-auth needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm over my head guys. Could someone email me what I am suppose to do. Like to stay in touch. I'm quite upset a) because things are going black b) I feel like an idiot because I don't know what's happening nor what to do.

Appreciate it y'all.
First, go to this site do download a program for your computer: https://telegram.org/apps

They also probably have an apple/android app, but we all know how that goes...

After you sign up (it requires a mobile phone number, they send you a verification link). Use whatever name you want in sign up (like your user name or some BS). There will be another spot to put your user name as well.

After you are signed up, search for the group: MNPatriotchat
Use that term exactly.

After you "join chat", you are in. There is no pre-auth needed.

Wasn’t there some talk about phone numbers being a bad idea in that gd thread?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Saw a post on another site that stated AR15.com was shut down yesterday. Did it happen?
View Quote

I’m on arfcom literally all day unless at work and I didn’t notice anything. Some reported outages though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm on arfcom literally all day unless at work and I didn't notice anything. Some reported outages though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on arfcom literally all day unless at work and I didn't notice anything. Some reported outages though.
I wasn't able to access the site at around 2pm. At 5pm I could.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's heavily dependent on the antenna and terrain/conditions, but realistically you're looking at a couple miles under ideal conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would something like a boafeng be able to receive messages from a “command center” probably not answer back? But then have comms nearby? What would be an effective range of a cheapish baofeng?

It's heavily dependent on the antenna and terrain/conditions, but realistically you're looking at a couple miles under ideal conditions.

I need something to go like 15 miles under (possibly) less than ideal conditions, handheld. Possible under $150?

Eta: really digging this dudes setup
My civilian Baofeng radio with military headset "Tactical" setup
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top