Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2020 3:24:45 AM EDT
Wife recently was told she is getting orders to Westover Air Reserve Base for a year, where are the places we should look for rentals and which places should we avoid?  I have noticed that rental housing cost an arm and leg compared to Florida where we're at now.  What type of firearms are GTG in MA?  Not looking to go shooting in MA while we're there, just home defense.  Before you ask, stop movement due to the China Flu doesn't apply here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't possess any firearms or even ammunition components in MA without a licence.  You have 60 days to get your license. You must complete a MA approved safety course with a MA state police approved trainer.

There are 2 licenses, LTC and FID. LTC is for any handguns and 'high capacity' rifles and shotguns. FID is for 'low capacity' rifles and shotguns. MA has their own definitions in general, an example is a Ruger 10/22 is considered high capacity.

If this is in the near future, understand that the state has ordered all shops to close, and instructed all approved trainers that no classes are to be conducted. Many towns are not currently processing new licenses as well.

MA has safe storage rules, your wife would need a license as well if she has access.

MA follows the federal 1994 ban more or less. MA gun laws are a convoluted mess, and the MA AG likes to make them up as she pleases.

There is a handgun roster, it only applies to dealer sales.

This forum is pretty dead, I would recommend reading through the Northeast Shooters forum for more info. I tried to cover just the basics.

Since this is temporary: If living in CT is an option, CTs gun laws are a lot simpler. CT does not require a license for simple possession in your home. The CT forum is also very active here. You could also apply for a CT non-resident pistol permit now, and simply change the address once you move.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
There is one place that apparently got approval to teach classes remotely. I don’t personally know much about these guys but I’ve heard great things.
Tactical Dynamics

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since this is temporary: If living in CT is an option, CTs gun laws are a lot simpler. CT does not require a license for simple possession in your home. The CT forum is also very active here. You could also apply for a CT non-resident pistol permit now, and simply change the address once you move.
View Quote

I have noticed that the rentals in CT are more affordable and bigger compared to what you can get in MA.  The longer commute will be a negative but not being able to take any firearms with us is kind of a no-go.  Thanks for the detailed reply!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Having moved up here from Ft Campbell, be mentally prepared for a rude awakening!  MA gun laws!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top