Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2021 6:31:46 PM EDT
Looking for advice from FFL holders in KY.  I have a nephew stationed at Fort Hood in Texas and will be coming home on leave next week.  He has 3 handguns he wants to ship to KY instead of checking them in his luggage.  I realize this will be more expensive but what are his options for shipping?  Ship from FFL in Texas to FFL in KY?  Are there other options?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for advice from FFL holders in KY.  I have a nephew stationed at Fort Hood in Texas and will be coming home on leave next week.  He has 3 handguns he wants to ship to KY instead of checking them in his luggage.  I realize this will be more expensive but what are his options for shipping?  Ship from FFL in Texas to FFL in KY?  Are there other options?  Thanks.
View Quote

An FFL is only REQUIRED on one end of the transaction. It could be worth the extra in safety and convenience to have one on each end. Your choice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
He’s better off flying with them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd just check them, personally. Plenty of airlines will check a bag for free for active military.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Can an FFL even transfer it to him without a KY DL or .mil papers showing he's stationed in KY?

Reading is fundamental, missed the coming home bit.

I'm happy to do the transfer for free if he's in the NKY area.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies. He is flying into Louisville and I think he is convinced to check them in his luggage.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies. He is flying into Louisville and I think he is convinced to check them in his luggage.
View Quote

Make sure he has the correct lockable case and padlock. Can't just check them in unlock or TSA locked luggage.

Also make sure he doesn't fly connecting flights through anti gun airports. Some people have been arrested do to a connection flight issue and had to pick up their luggage in that airport.. causing them to be a criminal.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Make sure he has the correct lockable case and padlock. Can't just check them in unlock or TSA locked luggage.

Also make sure he doesn't fly connecting flights through anti gun airports. Some people have been arrested do to a connection flight issue and had to pick up their luggage in that airport.. causing them to be a criminal.

View Quote

Thanks. He does have the correct lockable cases but I don’t know about his connecting flights.  I’ll find out he is flying in on Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having flown with guns dozens of times and had connecting flights in CA, IL and even DC, I have NEVER heard of this.

Unless he is leaving security with his bags on a long layover, they will be sorted onto carts on the tarmac for transfer, not re inspected by TSA

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Having flown with guns dozens of times and had connecting flights in CA, IL and even DC, I have NEVER heard of this.

Unless he is leaving security with his bags on a long layover, they will be sorted onto carts on the tarmac for transfer, not re inspected by TSA

View Quote

This is correct. As long as he does not have to take possession of his luggage, he is OK. I would only be concerned about being marooned for the night in a commie location because of a weather or mechanical cancellation of a flight where they cannot get you on another flight until the next day. In that case they do make you take possession of your checked luggage and recheck it the next day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top