Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2020 5:00:42 PM EDT
I don't post much on here, but would appreciate any input.   I currently live in Philadelphia, but looking to accept a job near Middletown NY with some work also near Montecello, all of which would require me to move from Philadelphia.   I would prefer to keep my PA residence for obvious reasons (less restrictive firearm ownership and lower taxes).   My questions is 1) How is the Milford PA area in general, and 2) is it reasonable to commute to Middletown and Monticello?       For what its worth, I grew up in WNY and lived in NJ in the past, vowing not to go back to those places, i have enjoyed the less restrictive PA laws.    Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Having friends and family in Pa NJ and NY I’m going to say that if it’s possible to stay in Pa you should absolutely stay. It’s not just the gun laws either. Cost of living, taxes, general laws, mindset of the people, police and courts. And there are more reasons, the list is long. There is a reason that people are moving out of NJ and NY with many going to Pa
Best of luck in the new job
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the Stroudsburg area and for all of the reasons posted above, it's worth the commute. The general drive time is around 45 minutes to Monticello and to Middletown. As for housing costs, you can buy virtually anything you want, but resale can be a problem if you ever decide to move. The houses are located in very rural areas, with HOA's being very prevalent in the local developments (along with security gates, etc.) that are a real PITA to deal with. You see a lot of ex NY and NJ residents in the area, but most have adapted to the region (some have not, unfortunately). Be aware that just getting basic supplies (food stuffs, medicines, building materials, etc) can be a road trip of 20 minutes or more, depending on where you decide to buy your home. You literally just get used to it, so it's not a deal breaker, except for those that grew up in NJ/NY suburbia, where everything is just 5 minutes away. One further note, taxes can be high on homes, as there are few folks and the schools have high tax rates. For example, a house costing $200k, might have a taxes of $3k, or $5k, or $10k, depending on township, with Milford itself have the highest rates, but some of the nicest houses. Check it out, and you can find something that will suit your budget. Good luck, and welcome to PA!
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Milford  for 23 years now.

The commute from here to middletown or Monticello are between 30-40 minutes.  Winter time can be a bit longer, either AWD or 4x4 are best for winter. I-84 is usually a smooth flow of traffic.  There is a occasional  accident that can cause some hefty delays.
Winter time on 84, can be a rough commute . The greenville/port jervis mountain can be total stop. Trucks get stuck on the inclines and jamb it up.

Going to Monticello via 97 from sparrowbush, decent road but can again in snow be a bear. Summer time  Monticello turns into a hasidic township. There are plenty of Jewish camps throughout the entire monticello area.

Back to Milford, the village itself nice area but busy in the summer. A lot of shops bringing tourists and traffic. There is only 1 traffic light in the town.
Milford has 3 FFL gun shops, one is a class 3. Then in Matamoras there is also another shop, class 3 as well. Dingmans ferry has a shop/Indoor range class 3 as well. Not far from Milford there is Kahr arms headquarters and the Tommygun store.

There are a few private hunting clubs. And one club that does a good amount of events. Most events are on Sundays from cowboy action, trap, steel challenge  and action pistol/ipsc-Idpa. This club has multiple 25yd ranges, 50, 100 and 200 yd plus a trap range.

There are a good amount of HOA developments. Some are decent others  are complete dictatorships with busy bodys.
Homes usually run cheaper in then outside of the HOA communitys. Homes in HOA's are lower on taxes, but their dues make up the differance. Some of these HOA communities  are rather large, 30-50 miles of road.

Police/law enforcement,  there is a milford borough police, and the state troopers, NO town police. Average response time by PSP is between 20-25 minutes due to coverage.
The pike county sheriff is pro gun, and overall a good guy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snert:

Police/law enforcement,  there is a milford borough police, and the state troopers, NO town police..
View Quote

Eastern Pike Regional covers Westfall and Milford Townships, no?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you prefer country there is lots of space in northern pike county.  I have a farm in shohola and it's a great area if you stay rural to avoid the non-locals.  Drivetime is comparable and the township doesn't cater to city folk.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By widerstehe:

Eastern Pike Regional covers Westfall and Milford Townships, no?
View Quote

Milford borough  is the "Village" not the township. Anything outside of that is PSP.

Eastern pike regional covers matamoras/westfall . When heading towards  Milford their area ends by tractor supply on 209.

Back when they formed the Eastern pike regional PD, Milford declined the consolidate with them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Milford borough  is the "Village" not the township. Anything outside of that is PSP.

Eastern pike regional covers matamoras/westfall . When heading towards  Milford their area ends by tractor supply on 209.

Back when they formed the Eastern pike regional PD, Milford declined the consolidate with them.
View Quote

Okay, thanks.  I thought Milford was both a borough and a township. What township encircles Milford then?  Is it Dingman?

I've wanted to move to the area forever now but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
It is a odd territory...

My.house is actually in Dingmans township, But my mailing address is Milford, it is as if Milford is the "village" and down 6 from 84 to the water gap. And 209 by kost tire to the 6/209 intersection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top