Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2018 8:05:47 AM EDT
JeffCo Arfcommers, what is your take on this? Y’all know anything about Pettway?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I only know he is a dem, so not sure what that means for our very good cc permit program.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Black guy over 50.  Over weight and heart attack risk.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It means Jefferson County is gonna get a lot shittier.

You can kiss cheap permits, and effective LE goodbye at least.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The permit fee is set by state law. He can however change the process to take the full 30 days.

Mike Hale was the ONLY sheriff in AL that supported Constitutional Carry.

I'm actually shocked by his loss. I didn't think he was in trouble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The permit fee is set by state law. He can however change the process to take the full 30 days.

I’d imagine the new DA is gonna screw us too in reguard to LE as well. Catch and Release will be order of the day.

This is bad folks, a critical mass has been reached in JeffCo and it looks like we’re headed to Detroit.

I knew it was gonna happen, just look at the judge and the Jones races. Jefferson County is now blue.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
JeffCo is well known among the neighboring counties for coddling criminals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d imagine the new DA is gonna screw us too in reguard to LE as well. Catch and Release will be order of the day.

This is bad folks, a critical mass has been reached in JeffCo and it looks like we’re headed to Detroit.

I knew it was gonna happen, just look at the judge and the Jones races. Jefferson County is now blue.
JeffCo is well known among the neighboring counties for coddling criminals.
And that was under the old Judges, DA, and Sheriff.

Like I said, this is a new fucking low.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't say that I'm happy.  The last person I wanted running things is this new guy.  I hope he isn't a complete tool but I fear for the worst.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I only know he is a dem, so not sure what that means for our very good cc permit program.
View Quote
He will probably increase the yearly price.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can't. The price is set by state law.
View Quote
Pistol permits are $7.50 per year by order of Sheriff Hale.  Other counties are $20.00 a year.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I am also worried about getting CLEO appoval for suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting. I thought it was set by the state for JeffCo.

Yep going to $20.
View Quote
You were wrong...again.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
that may be but our permits are currently 7.50 yr. most other counties are significantly more. he can increase that to the state max easily.

i have several very close friends at JCSO. they hate the guy. i have heard he is SERIOUSLY racist toward white deputies and they are expecting a fairly large turnover if that begins to work it's way down the chain. as for soft the county here was about the only LE agency that actually went after criminals in an appropriate manner in bad areas. that i suspect will now end. this is really bad for JCSO imho.
View Quote
I saw a campaign ad shortly before the elections about him talking about bringing body cameras to JCSO (which Hale has already done) and he made some reference to accountability for officers and protecting the citizenry. I can't find the commercial right off hand, but it seemed very pro BLM.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i am already hearing grumblings of sr deputies looking for other jobs.

he was also talking bout putting sro's in all the schools, which hale already did as well
View Quote
?
My son just graduated Hoover, and I have been in most schools in the county what with football and marching band; every school I have been to in the last four years has had SRO's. What a tool.
This really is bad news for JeffCo.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
he was also talking bout putting sro's in all the schools, which hale already did as well
View Quote
From what I heard, everything he promised to do was already done by Hale.  He may end up being the very first politician who has kept all his campaign promises!

Sadly, this is what happens when voters don't do their homework.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting plan - train inmates to work on HVAC systems.  

He will implement programs in the jail that will allow inmates to earn a GED or High School Diploma and provide opportunities for them to learn a skilled trade, such as heating & air, plumbing or electrical trades.
https://www.pettwayforsheriff.com/pettway-proactive-plan
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i am already hearing grumblings of sr deputies looking for other jobs.

View Quote
The Number is 38.

Thats how many deputies have put in retirement paperwork according to a friend.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
that may be but our permits are currently 7.50 yr. most other counties are significantly more. he can increase that to the state max easily.

i have several very close friends at JCSO. they hate the guy. i have heard he is SERIOUSLY racist toward white deputies and they are expecting a fairly large turnover if that begins to work it's way down the chain. as for soft the county here was about the only LE agency that actually went after criminals in an appropriate manner in bad areas. that i suspect will now end. this is really bad for JCSO imho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't. The price is set by state law.

As above post said,

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office is super fucked.

As for the regular schlubs who live there, they're fucked too.

Center Point is already a shithole, and its going to get worse.

Expect a mass breakout of "smile and wave" policing from both BPD and JCSO.

Property values will crater and taxes will go up, crime will appear to go down, because it will be juked or not reported.

Why bring up BPD? Same guy who picked their new Chief is the guy who pushed Pettway over the top. Woodfin.

Woodfin is a very dangerous person, according to previously mentioned sources, his whole family is wrapped up in several illegal enterprises, and politically hes built quite a capable machine taking over Jefferson County (I've heard it said, it was he who got Doug Jones over the top, replaced the DA's, Judges, and Now Sheriff, finally made himself Mayor of Birmingham).
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i know a few of them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Number is 38.

Thats how many deputies have put in retirement paperwork according to a friend.
i know a few of them
Yep.

According to my guy, some of those are Captains, Lieutenants and Sergeants as well. I imagine all the appointed people will be gone too.

I wonder if Hale will do the young guys a solid and start signing transfer paperwork for people who can try to flee but aren't eligible to retire.

According to the same source, two names percolating for upper command are Hannah (former Deputy, positively regarded by source) and Hill (ran for Sheriff last time).

If thats true, Pettway is trying to get a White Guy to prove he ain't racist or at least provide a shield to such accusations.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Republican running in Jefco is always in trouble.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
that hasn't been a thing for a couple of years now. he only gets a notification of the sale.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/chief-law-enforcement-officer-required-sign-law-enforcement-certification-atf-form-1-or
View Quote
Damn its been that long since I bought one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Hopefully it will never happen, but when is the New Sheriff supposed to take office?  I looked but my Google is weak.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A Republican running in Jefco is always in trouble.
View Quote
what has happened to jeff co? I left 6 years ago and it has gone to crap.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Beer Slayer. I guess we shall see how things will go.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"He favors decriminalizing marijuana, opposes arming school employees, supports additional jailhouse education programs to reduce recidivism and plans for deputies to go out and talk to people more often, rather than just patrolling."

there are parts of that i don't disagree with in a perfect world.

i also understand there is an element in this society that can't be educated away from crime and only responds to violence and force. i ride with a few guys in CP fairly regularly. there is no way they will ever be officer friendly that knows everyone in that area. far to many calls, too few deputies, too much real violence and stupidity. They all have their "informants" and generally know where the problems are, where the dope is being moved to, who's moving it, where the stash houses for stolen goods are etc. what they don't have is the time, resources, and backing from the courts and prosecutors to get these assholes off the streets. until that changes pettway isn;t going to change anything and turning CP into friendly faces is going to turn it into a bigger war zone than it already is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"He favors decriminalizing marijuana, opposes arming school employees, supports additional jailhouse education programs to reduce recidivism and plans for deputies to go out and talk to people more often, rather than just patrolling."

there are parts of that i don't disagree with in a perfect world.

i also understand there is an element in this society that can't be educated away from crime and only responds to violence and force. i ride with a few guys in CP fairly regularly. there is no way they will ever be officer friendly that knows everyone in that area. far to many calls, too few deputies, too much real violence and stupidity. They all have their "informants" and generally know where the problems are, where the dope is being moved to, who's moving it, where the stash houses for stolen goods are etc. what they don't have is the time, resources, and backing from the courts and prosecutors to get these assholes off the streets. until that changes pettway isn;t going to change anything and turning CP into friendly faces is going to turn it into a bigger war zone than it already is.
Yeah, I could give a shit less about the Weed, personally, and the job skills thing is nothing but a waste of money, refusing to arm teachers is dumb, but the status quo.

Trying to outreach the creatures of Tha Purnt (or similar) is just pants on head retarded and gonna get someone killed in the streets. Literally.

Less enforcement is just going to embolden them, and like you said, turn it into an every larger war zone.

My issue is that hes already race baiting, and hasn't even assumed the office yet, thats gonna have a real chilling effect on any Deputy who is still even semi-proactive, if like me, you own property in Jefferson County (even a nice area) its time to get out.

Jefferson County is done for. Used to you could depend on the Deputies, Judges, and DA's Office, not anymore. One by one they fell.

Smaller Municipalities will also be effected (even Nice ones, Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Trussville {Trussville is really gonna feel the effect I think {proximity to CP}} etc.) because if they charge with a Felony, those officers will have to deal with the new Hug-A-Thug DA, and it will be a revolving door I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i suspect there is also going to be less cooperation with things such as the MACC as local departments begin to rely less and less on cooperation from the SO.
View Quote
Here’s hoping you’re wrong.  But then there’s this:  
https://www.al.com/crime/2018/11/new-black-officers-court-officials-rethinking-us-policing.html
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
and we start importing them from surrounding counties due to less chance of prosecution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Going to be interesting when these new gentler and softer criminals do their deeds over the line.
and we start importing them from surrounding counties due to less chance of prosecution.
*Idly considers legal issues leaving a registered SBR and Suppressor in his Car*
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
ar pistol with brace ftw :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Idly considers legal issues leaving a registered SBR and Suppressor in his Car*
ar pistol with brace ftw :)
*EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Whats that?

*EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i'd rather my pistol end up in an evidence locker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Whats that?

*EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

i'd rather my pistol end up in an evidence locker
Which is why the Bird Gun is in the back of my truck now

I can replace it with like 400 bucks as it sits, all accessories... though I'm considering swapping to a "Other" shotgun with a brace.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I had invested in property in Mountain Brook.  I may be looking to get out if this goes sideways.  I'll keep my ears to the ground.

I'm thinking Shelby, St. Clair or further North toward Cullman/Huntsville.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had invested in property in Mountain Brook.  I may be looking to get out if this goes sideways.  I'll keep my ears to the ground.

I'm thinking Shelby, St. Clair or further North toward Cullman/Huntsville.
View Quote
Thats tough, Mountain Brook will probably be the last good place in Jefferson County (along with Vestavia Hills), but you gotta figure at some point they'll be overran, then again, that didn't happen in certain parts of Chicago or even New Orleans...

Personally, I'm looking Jasper, Curry, Cullman, or like you said, further North (Huntsville, Lake Guntersville) or WAY South (Baldwin Co.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top