Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2021 7:37:56 PM EDT
May 15.

We can do this at my house (we live on a small farm and can easily do a 1 to 1.25 mile walking circuit) or we can do it at Henry Horton.

I NEED your input. If you're in the area, if you're anywhere close, if you've done APC in other states - I need your input. See my post further down on 4/26. If you're interested in auxiliary chapter formation - we want you, too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m in east TN but could drive a couple hours to attend. I’ve been craving this. Unfortunately, I also do not have the time to be the organizer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Bumped.

Any interest at all from anyone?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
First off WTF is it?  Some of us old farts are not 'hip'.

Second the military has pretty much cured any desire in me to 'hike'.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s mainly an ex-military hiking club.

Ok, seriously, it’s a nationwide leadership development group, for lack of a better description. They emphasize fitness. Coincidentally, I need some more fitness. I don’t mind being a little pudgy but it hurts when I shoot prone now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think it's this:

https://www.americanpioneercorps.org/about
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I was hoping armored personnel carriers. I always wanted to ride in an M113.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Damn, I was hoping armored personnel carriers. I always wanted to ride in an M113.
View Quote

Cheer up. I'd say that might be a distinct possibility for gun owners in the future.

Anyone else interested?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Weekly bump.

Guys, we need something like this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be interested, Smith County.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Interested - north of Nashville, let's make something happen.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interested - north of Nashville, let's make something happen.
View Quote
Interested - south of Nashville, let's make something happen.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in Maury county. I think there are some hiking trails near us where we could probably do two loops in it add up to at least 6 miles. Let me check them out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Do it.  The juice is worth the squeeze.  Anyone want to come to southern IL on 13 March and jump off cliffs with us for the APC intro to mountaineering course?  IL APC is trying to set that up.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Western-TN-guys-American-Pioneer-Corps-Intro-to-Mountaineering-course-13-Mar-southern-IL/38-652278/
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I’d drive over from W.Tenn . Don’t have tons of free time but really feel like we should be getting together
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright. Looks like we have enough interest to put something together.

What's next? I can be flexible to do background stuff and organize our first meeting. I'm not looking to be in any sort of leadership role - hopefully some of you younger guys can step up and do that - but I'll do whatever I can, since my schedule is fairly flexible for the moment, to get us off the ground.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Illinois has had a very active chapter since around this time last year (right after Lobby Day when the APC kinda went national).  There really isn't any need for leadership roles to get things started, beyond organizing some hikes or other activities.  The first step is just planning some hikes and getting like minded local folks together.  When us Illinois guys started doing this things just started to fall into place.  The APC plan makes a lot of sense and trust me when I say that this is a group that you want to be a part of.  I've done a bunch of stuff with the APC guys in Virginia over the last year and I'm continually impressed with what they can get done.  Not to mention that they're just cool people.
You guys should consider coming out to the intro to mountaineering thing that we're working to set up.  Even if you don't want to rappel off cliffs it would be a good chance to meet up with a bunch of APC folks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do it.  The juice is worth the squeeze.  Anyone want to come to southern IL on 13 March and jump off cliffs with us for the APC intro to mountaineering course?  IL APC is trying to set that up.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Western-TN-guys-American-Pioneer-Corps-Intro-to-Mountaineering-course-13-Mar-southern-IL/38-652278/
View Quote

Australian, or just the boring way?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Australian, or just the boring way?
View Quote

Get both?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump.

If we put together a date in late March to do an initial meet and hike, who could attend? Where's a good hiking spot within 40 miles of the center of the state?

I know everyone gets busy as warmer weather comes. Let's not let this fall off the radar here. A lot of us need the exercise and training and I think we all need to be building these type of relationships.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in for the late March meetup.  I couldn't agree more about needing more exercise and building these relationships.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t go getting your panties web gear in a bunch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Does Henry Horton work for everyone on March 27th?

I'm not going to display the park map here as an image because I don't want to blow up the state's servers from here. But this might work well for us. Copy and paste into your browser:

https://tnstateparks.com/assets/pdf/additional-content/park-maps/Henry_Horton_web_1.jpg

You guys who've done something with APC before - do we need to meet and be ready to roll out at the meeting time, or have a briefing/discussion/introduction time before hitting the trail, or...??
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Just shy of 2 hour drive for me to Henry Horton.  Wouldn't mind somewhere a little closer, but I'm still in if that works well for everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just shy of 2 hour drive for me to Henry Horton.  Wouldn't mind somewhere a little closer, but I'm still in if that works well for everyone else.
View Quote

If you can find a location that's further east than HH, closer to you, I'm good with that. Otherwise, if we can do the HH trails, as I understand it they're fairly flat.

I've been on a treadmill at 3mph a few times here lately. Six miles of that, with gear, is gonna hurt.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Henry Horton might work- everything up here in North Middle TN is Federal or across the line in Kentucky.

While rucking the length of LBL might be fun for some of us, it's a long way and it's Fed. Back Forty of Campbell is out for the same reason. Fort Donelson is too small to get a good distance in without going laps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Illinois has had a very active chapter since around this time last year (right after Lobby Day when the APC kinda went national).  There really isn't any need for leadership roles to get things started, beyond organizing some hikes or other activities.  The first step is just planning some hikes and getting like minded local folks together.  When us Illinois guys started doing this things just started to fall into place.  The APC plan makes a lot of sense and trust me when I say that this is a group that you want to be a part of.  I've done a bunch of stuff with the APC guys in Virginia over the last year and I'm continually impressed with what they can get done.  Not to mention that they're just cool people.
You guys should consider coming out to the intro to mountaineering thing that we're working to set up.  Even if you don't want to rappel off cliffs it would be a good chance to meet up with a bunch of APC folks.
View Quote

I meant to respond to you the other day and, honestly, just sort of got busy.

I'm pushing to get this going before busy season hits us all. My free days are, probably, coming to an end for a few months.

I've long wanted to rappel, but I'm simply not in shape for it unless it was some sort of emergency. I'm working on that, right now. But I genuinely appreciate the invite. Thank you. And thank you for being willing to help us get a group together.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does Henry Horton work for everyone on March 27th?

I'm not going to display the park map here as an image because I don't want to blow up the state's servers from here. But this might work well for us. Copy and paste into your browser:

https://tnstateparks.com/assets/pdf/additional-content/park-maps/Henry_Horton_web_1.jpg

You guys who've done something with APC before - do we need to meet and be ready to roll out at the meeting time, or have a briefing/discussion/introduction time before hitting the trail, or...??
View Quote

You just want to go shoot right after... Just kidding but people who have a Strategic Edge membership are really close.

I would say tentative to something drastic happening.....  I need to fire off a few rounds before CW and dial in a few side kicks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You just want to go shoot right after... Just kidding but people who have a Strategic Edge membership are really close.
View Quote

I went to the gym in Chapel Hill one day last summer and immediately afterwards I drove over to SE. I couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Guys, with this little interest, I think we need to postpone a couple of weeks. I hate to do that, but we need to rethink this. It's important. I want to make this happen and start a viable chapter.

Thoughts? Weekends further into the future that might work better for anyone? Weekdays?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Weekends are best for me.  I'm still game for a date in the future.  Maybe we can stir up some interest with some more information.  I'm thinking of having 25 pounds in my ruck excluding water weight for the first one.  I believe that is the weight for provisional, but some more info would be great.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Weekends are best for me.  I'm still game for a date in the future.  Maybe we can stir up some interest with some more information.  I'm thinking of having 25 pounds in my ruck excluding water weight for the first one.  I believe that is the weight for provisional, but some more info would be great.
View Quote

I have done some stints at 3MPH here lately on the treadmill. Adding a full pack to it will be.....tough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#32]
II agree.  No doubt we'll need to work up to maintaining the pace,
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Back to top.

Guys, let's get together. This is too important to let it slide and excuse it away until time is up.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think we can use my truck as a technical  
Does Sirius XM have a channel that broadcasts tracked
vehicle noises?

I'll be interested in getting involved once I find a place to rent & get a little bit settled in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Bumped. Come on, guys.

Who's in?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bumped. Come on, guys.

Who's in?
View Quote

Very interested. Tagged.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#37]
May 15.

Let's do this. We can either go do a hike at Henry Horton or we can come to my house (eastern Maury county, ~9 miles W of Henry Horton) and hike in circles. If we do the latter we're free to kit up and we'll also be able to have refreshments in my yard on every lap, and if someone gets hurt or needs to tap out we're not more than ~1/4 mile from the truck at any point. I can very easily lay out a walking course (that is already mowed over 90% of it or more, the rest could be done in an hour, except the part that cuts through the woods) of 1 to 1.25 miles around our place. No more than 35' of elevation change across the whole trail.

Let me know who's in and whether you'd prefer my house or Henry Horton. Either way we need to meet no later than 8AM, maybe earlier, so we can hike in the cool of the day. People that don't want to do the hike, please feel free to plan to come later (say, 10AM) and discuss auxiliary chapter formation. If you're more comfortable at HH, tell me. If you'd prefer my house, tell me (if you want to hike with a rifle, I'm cool with that - we just need to all understand that everyone's responsible for safety and there's no excuse for anyone to NOT call each other out, self included, for any unsafe gun handling. If people with prior APC experience want to weigh in on that, please do. And please tell me if it's best that we leave the rifles in the truck on the first meeting).

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#38]
@LordZizer
@Merlin
@70satvert
@TnHawk-45
@Southernman077
@travismc
@TheRadBaron
@BUE
@JPN
@HorseLady68W
@WiseguyThreeOne
@Scoobysmak
@jebsofnga
@Beltfed308

I'm also extending an invitation to people in my local area who aren't (for all I know) on ARF. We have some locals who'd be REALLY good at leading something like this.

Who's in? We need to discuss food (I could potentially provide some breakfast so we're not all starving post-hike while discussing future events, priorities, etc).

I don't want to start before 7AM and I don't want to end any later than 1PM. I've laid out a date, an event, two venue options, and a working timeframe.

Step up, guys.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Thank you for the mention. My son is due to be born May 27, so I need to stick close to home around that timeframe. If you guys do one in June I will try to be there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I wish I could come, but I can't even buy a day off right now. It's hard to get folks to come to work when .gov keeps throwing money at them. Have fun guys! The beatings will continue until morale improves on my end.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m interested, but May isn’t gonna work for me.  We are shooting gunnery the first half and I’m moving towards Dickson on the 21st so my weekends are used up packing.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Bump.

Tell a friend.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wish I could come, but I can't even buy a day off right now. It's hard to get folks to come to work when .gov keeps throwing money at them. Have fun guys! The beatings will continue until morale improves on my end.
View Quote

I think that’s a lot of places around here. My work is desperate for floor production people. They just can’t keep them filled. The large amount of OT results in high turnover.

I do like the idea of getting involved with APC but don’t see it happening this time. Especially that 5/15 date.  My daughter graduates HS that day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
If I am in my planned rental before that date I will be attending.

It is going to be very close....
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Bumped.

Guys, we're doing this. If you don't want to hike 6 miles on the first meet, you're welcomed to show up anyway. We can discuss auxiliary stuff too.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I mowed one mile of trail around my place this morning. It isn't perfectly smooth. It's not your high school walking track. But it's clean enough to walk at a fast pace without wondering whether you're about to step on a snek.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#47]
We have exactly one person (other than myself) who has committed to this.

We have to have three unrelated people for our hike to 'count' towards APC membership.

At this point we either a) Find someone else to add to the hike tomorrow morning, or b) We will have to cancel/postpone to another date.

No big deal - I realize that the world is busy in springtime and I'm still happy to offer my farm as a place to hike (we could probably also shoot for qualifications here - we have a very good private range) at some later date.

Those who are interested but can't be here tomorrow - whether you're interested in a 3-mile hike for provisional membership, a 6-mile hike towards Pioneer 3rd Class, or auxiliary membership - please post here and give dates that you could be available.

Also - I have taken 'stop the bleed' courses here in middle TN and am scheduled to take a CPR class. Those courses are necessary to advance beyond a certain point in APC and I would be more than happy to coordinate setting up such classes here locally. I personally set up the last 'stop the bleed' class I took and can easily set up another one.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm out for a while.  The disc in my lower back shifted, several weeks ago, and it's still not back to normal.  I wouldn't be able to keep up, even without a pack.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm out for a while.  The disc in my lower back shifted, several weeks ago, and it's still not back to normal.  I wouldn't be able to keep up, even without a pack.
View Quote

Present discussion aside, I'm sorry to hear that.

I had a double discectomy January 2020. Back problems SUUUUUUUCK.

I'm kinda local to you - if you need anything, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#50]
cancelled.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top