Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2022 2:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shepherd9]
We finally closed the sale of our old home and have some funds we want to disperse and protect.

We had our various accounts with BofA when we lived in the northeast but are looking to diversify our money into several accounts among a couple smaller, hopefully local run, banks.  I don't want all of our capital in one institution.  While I'll probably invest a little of it we mostly want to keep it relatively quick access as we will likely buy or build a home within the next year or two.  Of course that means making little interest on it.

Any recommendations for local banks or credit unions in Middle TN from the Arfcomers?  I see a lot of reviews for Redstone and Ascend. Fans of one seem to speak negative of the other, as expected.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Not talking enough money to be that top secret, though one can wish!

Anything around Murfreesboro or Smyrna area would be good.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as the bank is FDIC insured, you’re covered up to $250K.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shepherd9] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
For that area Wilson Bank and Trust and First National Bank of Middle Tennessee are about your only local options besides the two you mentioned. Everything else is a big multistage corp.
View Quote

Indeed, I wasn't seeing a lot of options.  Not the biggest deal, just start a few accounts to help spread out and protect what we're saving to invest down the road.

Hopefully won't have a Canadian Honk event that entices banks to lock funds but one can never be too careful.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Pinnacle Financial Partners has worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Woodsman20:

Pinnacle Financial Partners has worked for me.
View Quote

Thank you. Will look at them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Wilson bank and trust.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are already at BofA then go see a Merrill Lynch advisor.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shoresy] [#10]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
For that area Wilson Bank and Trust and First National Bank of Middle Tennessee are about your only local options besides the two you mentioned. Everything else is a big multistage corp.
View Quote

That's who my dad uses, he likes them. They aren't in my area so I bank with Ascend. I'd rate Ascend about a 2.5 out of 5. Fine for regular banking but slow when it comes to anything out of the ordinary. When I was working travel healthcare they always took way too long to process my direct deposit compared to my coworkers. I got robo fraud prevention calls almost every time I made a Christmas gift purchase this last December, etc etc.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:52:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: asu174] [#11]
What makes a bank good vs bad?  Serious question.  

I use Regions.  I’ve only ever needed a cashiers check and a couple of withdrawals and they’ve been fine.  They hold my money and I move it around fairly freely between banks and accounts.  ATMs seem to be available everywhere and depositing is easy.

Zelle within the Regions app never works for me.  Only gripe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess it depends on what you want from the bank.  So.e are better to work with for loans, etc and could make a big difference.

I was mostly just looking to get some (most) of our money out of the large institutions like BofA after watching how the Canadian banks bent to the will of FJT and locked truckers accounts.  Probably getting ahead of myself but wanted our funds spread out.

We are putting some in Regions and some in Wilson.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
We went back to our old CU back behind enemy lines after having multiple issues with Ascend. If I can make one recommendation, not them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top