Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2023 7:03:42 AM EDT
I don't remember why I stopped supporting MCRGO so many years ago.  I know I had a good reason at the time, I just forgot what that reason was.

I doubt rejoining would do any good anyway.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2023/01/michigan-gun-rights-groups-strategize-in-preparation-of-democrats-legislative-agenda.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My family has been considering moving back to Michigan, but... A definite no if any of this BS gets pushed through.

It's really a shame that Michigan, already with terrible gun laws, has to put up with this crap.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Michigan has had some of the tightest handgun restrictions in the nation my entire life. Paperwork has been greatly improved over the years, at least for those who have concealed pistol permits. Those who don't have a carry permit still have to run the gauntlet.

Anyone who owns firearms and is not a member of some gun rights group, is part of the problem. Organizations need funding and members to remain effective. There is strength in numbers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Michigan has had some of the tightest handgun restrictions in the nation my entire life. Paperwork has been greatly improved over the years, at least for those who have concealed pistol permits. Those who don't have a carry permit still have to run the gauntlet.

Anyone who owns firearms and is not a member of some gun rights group, is part of the problem. Organizations need funding and members to remain effective. There is strength in numbers.
View Quote
Truth ^^^
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Join MCRGO, sign up another gun owner.  

I know guys with easily 25k or more in rifles these ass hats in Lansing would love to ban and when you bring up possible legislation they just shrug.  $25/year to help keep them?  It is the least you could do.  

Watch the video the OP linked, she seems so reasonable, right?  BS.  She’s got her voter base locked in and she’s trying to appeal to gun golfers and gun owner’s wives.  

MCRGO

I’m sure the trolls and Eeyore’s will be along soon.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Join MCRGO, sign up another gun owner.  

I know guys with easily 25k or more in rifles these ass hats in Lansing would love to ban and when you bring up possible legislation they just shrug.  $25/year to help keep them?  It is the least you could do.  

Watch the video the OP linked, she seems so reasonable, right?  BS.  She’s got her voter base locked in and she’s trying to appeal to gun golfers and gun owner’s wives.  

MCRGO

I’m sure the trolls and Eeyore’s will be along soon.  
View Quote

Thank you for sharing this organization, I just signed up. I have been irresponsible by not being affiliated with any group that defends our rights here in Michigan. I’ll share the MCRGO link, it’s going to get messy real soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a good/bad consensus on MCRGO here on Arfcom?

Anyone have anything bad to say about them?

Just curious - I'm looking into them myself.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks,
View Quote

Best that I am aware of.

Don't go with the Great Lakes Gun org as it is a grift/scam apparently.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/01/whitmer-to-call-for-universal-background-checks-red-flag-laws-in-state-of-the-state.html

Whitmer to call for universal background checks, red flag law in State of the State

In the annual address Wednesday, Whitmer will urge the legislature to require universal background checks for all firearms sales and send her legislation mandating safe storage of weapons.

While licensed firearms dealers are required under federal law to run background checks, many gun sales don’t meet that requirement. In Michigan, private sales of assault-style weapons have no background check requirements, according to the Giffords Law Center. The 2021 mass shooting at Michigan’s Oxford High School also brought renewed calls to enact laws requiring the secure storage of guns at home.

The Governor will also push for extreme risk protections orders, otherwise known as a red flag law, according to the speech. The laws allow individuals or law enforcement to petition a court to temporarily confiscate an individual’s weapons by providing evidence the person is a risk to themselves or others.

“The time for thoughts and prayers is over,” Whitmer said in a statement. “It’s time for common-sense action.”

All three policies have been longtime aims for gun reform advocates. Red flag laws in particular, however, have been opposed by some gun rights groups who argue the measures, which have been enacted by 19 states, are simply a means to erode Second Amendment protections.

“Using so-called red flag laws to take away due process protections, forcing Michiganders ‘lock up their safety’ by reducing their access to firearms in an emergency and expanding the gun registration system only hurts law-abiding gun owners,” Brenden Boudreau, executive director for Great Lakes Gun Rights, said in a statement.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Best that I am aware of.

Don't go with the Great Lakes Gun org as it is a grift/scam apparently.
View Quote

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
MCRGO should have a table at the next GR gun show, 4/5 March.  I'm going to attend and see if I can get them to have a presence here in the MI HTF, I see many threads with few posts, but 3000+ views, I think we could help get their membership up and have better communication.  I've talked with several gun owners recently who have no idea anything bad might be coming rights wise.  

Their website is pretty dated, but I do encourage everyone to join.  MCRGO was formed to pass CCW in the late 1990's, and they got it done.  Been over 20 years now and we haven't had it too bad here in MI gun rights wise.  We got suppressors, SBR/SBS's, etc. in 2011 and hunting with suppressors in 2016.  

I fear this administration is going to push hard and it will take numbers, lawyers, and money to keep our rights.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks,
View Quote

This is very old and maybe irrelevant but I'll retell it as best I can. Back around 2000-2001 I was an active MCRGO member and we were busy trying to push Shall Issue over the finish line. There was great enthusiasm amongst members as things were looking good. The org had a website with very active msg board. They even hosted a big dinner in Lansing with gun giveaways and Wayne L (well before it was known he was a shithead). At some point not long after Shall Issue passed (2002-03?) MCRGO was "taken over" and run into the ground. Website forum shut down (most everyone migrated to "new" site MGOUC which morphed into today's migunowners.org). I was not involved in the leadership so was not briefed on all the gory details. I vaguely recall the new leadership was associated with a union, unfortunately memories are fuzzy.

So here I am wondering if MCRGO is worth supporting today. They are listed alongside Great Lakes Gun Rights and Michigan Open Carry on this page: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/PLEASE-DONATE-TODAY-Links-for-national-and-state-gun-rights-groups-in-this-thread/5-2618490/
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is very old and maybe irrelevant but I'll retell it as best I can. Back around 2000-2001 I was an active MCRGO member and we were busy trying to push Shall Issue over the finish line. There was great enthusiasm amongst members as things were looking good. The org had a website with very active msg board. They even hosted a big dinner in Lansing with gun giveaways and Wayne L (well before it was known he was a shithead). At some point not long after Shall Issue passed (2002-03?) MCRGO was "taken over" and run into the ground. Website forum shut down (most everyone migrated to "new" site MGOUC which morphed into today's migunowners.org). I was not involved in the leadership so was not briefed on all the gory details. I vaguely recall the new leadership was associated with a union, unfortunately memories are fuzzy.

So here I am wondering if MCRGO is worth supporting today. They are listed alongside Great Lakes Gun Rights and Michigan Open Carry on this page: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/PLEASE-DONATE-TODAY-Links-for-national-and-state-gun-rights-groups-in-this-thread/5-2618490/
View Quote

MI CCW was 1 July of 2001, I had my permit by fall of that year, actually was one of the first group in my county, and back then there was an actual "board" you had to stand in front of and they asked questions.  

Not sure of the MCRGO drama, but at any rate, the Michigan gun rights groups and gun owners are going to have to work together or we are going to be another California, with bad roads and worse weather.  Seems like we are our own worst enemy, sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
MCRGO has a lot of information on their website about pending legislation and what's happening politically in Michigan.  I think that information alone is worth the price of admission, so I joined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top