Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2020 12:33:31 PM EDT
Filling out my absentee ballot today. There are 2 state proposals I'm researching.

Here is 20-1 c&p from here:

A proposed constitutional amendment to allow money from oil and gas mining on state-owned lands to continue to be collected in state funds for land protection and creation and maintenance of parks, nature areas, and public recreation facilities; and to describe how money in those state funds can be spent. [Referred to the Ballot by the Legislature]

This proposed constitutional amendment would:

Allow the State Parks Endowment Fund to continue receiving money from sales of oil and gas from state-owned lands to improve, maintain and purchase land for State parks, and for Fund administration, until its balance reaches $800,000,000.
   Require subsequent oil and gas revenue from state-owned lands to go into the Natural Resources Trust Fund.
   Require at least 20% of Endowment Fund annual spending go toward State park improvement.
   Require at least 25% of Trust Fund annual spending go toward parks and public recreation areas and at least 25% toward land conservation.

Should this proposal be adopted?
View Quote

Here is 20-2 c&p from here:

A proposed constitutional amendment to require a search warrant in order to access a person's electronic data or electronic communications. [Referred to the Ballot by the Legislature]

This proposed constitutional amendment would:

Prohibit unreasonable searches or seizures of a person's electronic data and electronic communications.
   Require a search warrant to access a person's electronic data or electronic communications, under the same conditions currently required for the government to obtain a search warrant to search a person's house or seize a person's things.

Should this proposal be adopted?
View Quote

Not sure how to go on 20-1, but I see Sierra Club is against it.

Definitely voting yes on 20-2.

For judges I'm leaning towards the following:

Justice of Supreme Court: Kerry Lee Morgan and Brock Swartzle

I'm ignoring other judicial races where there are X candidates and you get X votes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
MUCC asks sportsmen to vote YES on Prop 1....

I think the same way as you on Prop 2 (but will research it more 1st).

As for MI Supreme Court Justices, the conservative choices are;

Mary Kelly and Brock Swartzle
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Kerry Lee Morgan is Pro Gun
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info, I'm not familiar with the judges.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup I was stuck on props and judges
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what primo 2A lawyer Jim Makowski wrote in a similar thread on the Michigan Gun Owners (MGO) Forums;

"In an ideal world, I would vote for Mary Kelly and Kerry Morgan. In the world of reality, Kerry has almost no chance of winning. Brock Swartzle and Mary Kelly were nominated by the GOP. Bridget McCormack and Elizabeth Welch by the Demoncrats."

Here is the full discussion; https://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?445494-Michigan-Judges-chioces

So realistically, Mary Kelly and Brock Swartzle are our best shot for the MI Supreme Court.

Please share this information with all your conservative friends!
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info on the judges.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I wrote this up in response to some local inquiries. (Started with info I found here, then dug in a little more.)

On proposal 20-1, I tried reading through it and couldn't make much sense of what the changes would be. I was going to vote no, but then I found out that the Sierra Club wants people to vote no, and M.U.C.C. supports it (link ->  https://mucc.org/ ).
If anyone doesn't remember, M.U.C.C put up half of the legal expense money back in 2000-2001 to fight Granholm's attempt to block the CPL bill in court. (She lost, and we got the Concealed Pistol law on the books.)
MUCC also went to court over Whitmer's motorboat ban, etc.

On prop 20-2, it's a clear yes. A principled conservative legislator named Jim Runestad has been trying to get this into the Michigan Constitution for a while.  It's about making it illegal for police (or anyone else) to be able
to scan and search the cell phones of anyone driving by, without a warrant or anything except the equipment. They can collect contacts, messages, calling records, etc. with what's commonly called a "Stingray" cell tower impersonator.
I think it will be a safe yes result; Ballotpedia couldn't find anyone to speak against it:  https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Prop2

https://apnews.com/article/technology-constitutions-michigan
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm leaning towards YES on prop 1, with understanding it's so damned complicated it probably doesn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#9]
My absent voter ballot does not have "Drake" on it for Judges, so therefore invalid. How many ole fudds like me will just send it in and call it a day.

I found out about that talking to my neighbor , and a 'Nam vet , who was driving my vehicle back to the fix it garage. His kid owns the shop, and he just does fudd stuff like me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My absent voter ballot does not have "Drake" on it for Judges, so therefore invalid. How many ole fudds like me will just send it in and call it a day.
View Quote
Vote IN PERSON!
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
DO NOT vote for McCormack.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's another endorsement of Swartzle & Kelly (from UnLock MI);

There are two outstanding rule of law candidates running for Supreme Court:

Court of Appeal Judge Brock Swartzle
   Former St. Clair County Assistant Prosecutor Mary Kelly

Both SWARTZLE and KELLY can be counted on to interpret the constitution and the law as it's written, not how some progressive interest group WISHES it had been written.

Both SWARTZLE and KELLY can be counted on to maintain checks and balances in Michigan government, and not let a power-hungry governor run rampant.

Both SWARTZLE and KELLY can be counted on to protect our freedom!

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I found out about that talking to my neighbor , and a 'Nam vet , who was driving my vehicle back to the fix it garage. His kid owns the shop, and he just does fudd stuff like me.
View Quote

Drake is running unopposed .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top