Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2021 1:47:08 AM EDT
Friend and his wife went to a Halloween party. It was at some bar in the back room.
He does a great cowboy outfit. He said it’s a character from a video game,but It looks kind of like Chris Pretts character from the new Magnificent Seven movie. Right down to the holster with the cross draw rig. He has two replica pistols. They are very realistic and I know he. But he drilled the front and fashioned some orange plugs to put in the barrels.pretty slick costume. His wife was dressed as a sexy Indian maiden.

He said everything was going well the some asshole started a fight. He and some other people walked into the bar area.
The fight broke up so they went back inside. Then three metro officers showed up. The fight stopped so they were just asking questions and wrapping things up. Nothing to see.

Officer walks over to my friend, who was on the other side of the room, and asks if his guns are real. Friend doesn’t move and says no they are not. Officer asks if he can see one to make sure. Friend pulls one out slowly and hands it to him butt first. Officer checks it and hands it back. Friend takes it back gives it a cowboy flip and puts it back in the holster. Everything ok.

Then officer says” Thats a nice costume but do you think it’s a bright idea to carry something I might have to shoot you for?” Friend looks a him and says F you I haven’t don anythng that would give you any reason fo draw your weapon. This is an open carry state I can carry real ones and walk down Fremont street. You’re the problem no wonder people hate cops. Just as things are heating up another officer stepped between them and said they were done here and it was time to leave. He turned to my friend said thank you for your time, enjoy the rest of your night, then walked away.

Is this a common team these days. Friend said officer was cool at first. Just checking out his stuff. Then flipped the switch and started being an asshole. I’ve had a few interactions with cops through the years and all have been generally positive.

He said this officer seemed like a younger guy and the officer who intervened was much older. Maybe an over eager rookie.

Is this what we can expect from the new generation of officers?

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Cops are not your friends.

I have a number of friends who are great metro officers, and a majority of metro are great officers, and 90% of my interactions in Vegas have been positive but remember:

Cops are not your friends.

Good on your friend for standing up to the little power tripper. Shoulda grabbed a badge number.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember metro used to recruit out of state, especially socal, assume they still do. These days you have to assume that a younger cop who went through public school indoctrination in a left wing blue state is not gonna be supportive of "civilians" packing heat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
The irony of this is my friend is very pro law enforcement. His father is retired from San Diego PD, his brother in law works for North Las Vegas PD, and his wife works for the state ang carries for her job.

My friend open carries when he does the bank runs for his brothers bar and carries concealed the rest of the time. He and his wife go shooting with several police officers.

I. Think it just took him by surprise that an officer made such a stupid statement.  his wife thinks he feels that even though law enforcement has been a part of his whole life, it
still come down to an idiot with bad judgement can be the difference between life and death.
This happened a month ago and he’s still pretty upset.

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Did he take the time to file a complaint?

With bodycam footage, it isn't real hard to see what was really said. If it is accurate, someone needs some counseling.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t think he did. When the other officer stepped in to calm things down it ended pretty quickly. In fact they were joking about it afterwards. He really didn’t say anything until a few days later after thing about it more.
Hopefully the other officer said something to him who knows.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a female Mexican lesbian sheriff's deputy threaten to assault me because I didn't inform her (or whatever the fuck we call those) that I had a CCW during a traffic stop for a brake light out.  No duty to inform in NV.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]
In contrast, my dad got pulled over for rolling through a stop sign in the eighties. This was at eleven at night.
As the officer Walked up to the window my dad told him he had a gun on the seat next to him.
Officer says, “Are you going to shoot me with it?”
Dad says “no”
Officer says “ OK. Just leave it there I don’t need to see it.”
He gave dad a warning and told him to be more careful.
We just live in a different time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In contrast, my dad got pulled over for rolling through a stop sign in the eighties. This was at eleven at night.
As the officer Walked up to the window my dad told him he had a gun on the seat next to him.
Dad says “no”
View Quote

So about a year ago, I was pulled over by a Metro bike cop at the corner of LV Blvd and Sahara. I had a pistol on the side of my console and if he looked in the truck he'd have seen it. Preemptively I told him about it as I'd need to reach across it to get to my glovebox where my registration was. He said "if you don't pull yours, I won't pull mine so just leave it where it is." No drama, we both laughed.

All depends on who you get to interact with I suppose.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So about a year ago, I was pulled over by a Metro bike cop at the corner of LV Blvd and Sahara. I had a pistol on the side of my console and if he looked in the truck he'd have seen it. Preemptively I told him about it as I'd need to reach across it to get to my glovebox where my registration was. He said "if you don't pull yours, I won't pull mine so just leave it where it is." No drama, we both laughed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dad says “no”

I've had three similar instances spanning about 30 years.  One NLV, one Metro and one Highway Patrol.  Each and every one of them essentially said "You're not the type of person I'm worried about. Thank you and drive safe."
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dad says “no”
View Quote

Had an AZ highway patrol in the middle of nowhere between kingman and wikieup do the same when I was speeding. Told him I have a CCW in the glove box and I already grabbed all the documents before you approached. He said, 'cool, just dont try to shoot me with it ok?' with a laugh. Cool dude, I was surprised given how remote that area was.

I've had a very opposite response with a Henderson cop who had at least 10 others with him. I wasnt even in the car when they made contact, informed them there was a weapon in the vehicle. They secured it, young cop gave me a rash of shit and was trying his hardest to pin something on me. Then he tried keeping the magazine. I was thankful for the older officer who squared him away.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve heard stories from guys I’ve worked with. Most of the older guys said cops were cool in the seventies and eighties. That has always my experience.

It’s when the town got bigger and the city started expanding that interactions became negative. It seems the newer officers are always confrontational. Looking for a reason to arrest you.
There are still good ones out there and it only takes a few to give a bad name. Nobody talks about the positive interactions.

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve heard stories from guys I’ve worked with. Most of the older guys said cops were cool in the seventies and eighties. That has always my experience.

It’s when the town got bigger and the city started expanding that interactions became negative. It seems the newer officers are always confrontational. Looking for a reason to arrest you.
There are still good ones out there and it only takes a few to give a bad name. Nobody talks about the positive interactions.

View Quote

By and large, if you're interacting with a police officer it's not because something positive happened.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Younger people tend to be more gung ho but I've had positive interactions with them. I've been pulled over quite a bit because of my tendency to speed when I was younger. My worst interactions were with senior officers including the one that drew his gun when I told him I was carrying. Hard to say if it's his normal becuase he thought I was fleeing and was jacked up but I can tell you that I will never again pull my gun out on request and will have the officer do it even if it involves me laying in the dirt.

Cops are just a cross section of society. My attitude towards them has changed but I still believe the vast majority are good people. Unfortunately a lot of them aren't gun people and a good chunk are anti gun at least by most gun people standards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top