Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2021 10:09:52 AM EDT
Hi,

General question, Would you put up a wood framed building or metal building for a 2 car garage and storage?

I need a garage and previous homes had garages with them.  I have a garage attached to house, but it is a storage unit now and no place to park the car and truck, and lawn equipment.  

Who has the best deals on garages/buildings.  I live in SW Missouri.  thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd want a metal building, with that spray on insulation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Couple things to think about with costs.

Do you want wood(post) frame and trusses.

Do you want metal framework and metal trusses.

I know/have relation of mine and helped build a wooden framework on one, so I've seen both types.

The all metal garage, the builders used welded trusses/sidewall framework which eliminated most(if not all) of the weakness that one can have with wooden nailed frameworks. Also, no twisting/warping/bending of wooden posts, whereas the all metal framework will stay true and straight throughout the build.

The metal framework does need anchored down just like the wooden posts are sunk into the ground(cemented in at least 4 feet deep), but the metal feet of framework are bolted the flooring, so talking with an expert of this type of building will need hashed out when the pouring of concrete is done, since more strength is needed in this area.

I can tell you from knowledge, that Missouri having termites/wood ants and other wood insects that over time the all-metal framework, even though cost a bit more will outlast any wooden framework. Even though one uses treated posts and other treated woods, over time one needs to retreat that wood as the treatment does evaporate, and loses its effectiveness and doesn't last till the end of time as one thinks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go metal if financially possible and with lumber prices what they are I doubt there's a big difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top